Another Visitor Tonight (warning: might freak you out)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittykook

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well the people from the wildlife rescue didn't call me back and the guy from the rescue site didn't email me back with any suggestions.

I haven't seen the possum today. I got out with the flashlight and looked under my deck today to see if he was under there. I also looked around my yard just in case he didn't make it and I didn't see him anywhere.

joanne511

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if this site will be terribly helpful since you live in TN, but an acquaintance of mine is a volunteer with an organization called Project Wildlife and she specializes in opossums. Here is a little fact sheet about them.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh what a cute little bubba! We have POSSUMS here in NZ, and everywhere you go there are signs up "Warning - Possum posion has been laid in this area. Keep all dogs on leads"

grissom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We had one in our house once. When I was young and stayed alternate weekends with my dad, he would leave the door open at night, to let the breeze in and so the cats could go in and out. We had 3 indoor outdoor cats from his wife, and if the main door was open, they could come through the screen door as the bottom was torn for them. (We lived in the woods, and no one bothered people's houses back then.) Anyway, one night Ogifer came through the door, and apparently the possum thought he would see what the cat was up to and followed him! Carol, my stepmom, was an insomniac, so she was sitting at the kitchen table reading, and started screaming bloody murder! Dad had to chase it out with a broom. Never came back, and we still left the door open.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When we lived in kind of an isolated house with woods behind us, Fred had a possum friend. He lived in the tree in fron of the house, but I never noticed him until he came inside on day. It was such a nice day, I had all the doors and windows open. I thought it was a cat coming in, but it was a possum. He just looked at me like he belonged there. Fred came out of the living room, and they walked out together. I saw them later, sitting on a tree branch above my car.
My MIL had one get in her house several times. It was big and aggressive. We came in late on night, and it was sitting on her kitchen counter, with a fork in one paw, and a banana in the other. It stood up and hissed at us, then ran out the door. It came back a few times and when she tried to shoo it out with a dish towel, it grabbed the towel and ran. They finally trapped it in a trash can and took it away to the other side of the woods.

grissom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by krazy kat2

My MIL had one get in her house several times. It was big and aggressive. We came in late on night, and it was sitting on her kitchen counter, with a fork in one paw, and a banana in the other. It stood up and hissed at us, then ran out the door. It came back a few times and when she tried to shoo it out with a dish towel, it grabbed the towel and ran.
Tell me your kidding!

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope! I am not kidding. It found a way into the house through a hole in the floor under the kitchen sink. MIL was scared to death of it, it was hilarious. It would rummage through the cabinets and the trash, push stuff off the counters, and just generally make a nuisance of itself. It would come in at night, even if people were home and awake. I was surprised they didn't just shoot it, since there were several hunters in the house at the time.
I kept hoping it would bite her, she's a hateful thing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittykook

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by krazy kat2

Nope! I am not kidding. It found a way into the house through a hole in the floor under the kitchen sink. MIL was scared to death of it, it was hilarious. It would rummage through the cabinets and the trash, push stuff off the counters, and just generally make a nuisance of itself. It would come in at night, even if people were home and awake. I was surprised they didn't just shoot it, since there were several hunters in the house at the time.
I kept hoping it would bite her, she's a hateful thing.
What....you hoped your mother in law would bite the possum or vice versa?

sweets

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The first time I tried to trap, I caught a possum. I wasn't good with opening the trap, and I had no idea how I would get that thing out of the trap. I called the vet I borrowed the trap from. They told me to call Animal Control. I was skitzing! I couldn't find the number for Animal Control in the phone book so I called 911! When asked for my address, I kept giving them my phone number! I had to walk away from the door so I couldn't see the trap anymore. Then my brain started functioning.

Animal Control came, started laughing at me, and took the possum away.