Another quiz - what American accent do you have

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MargeCat

Ok, another indicator of where you're from: How do you pronounce "water"? Everyone at work makes fun of me, since I say "warter". (And one of those people is from New England, and says, "Wahhhta"!!!)

Am I the only one in the universe who does this?

MargeCat
My mom, who was born and raised in Missouri, says "warsh" instead of wash, "windah" instead of window. She is slowly changing it, but even after 20+ years here, she still sounds Missourian

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Of course I'm the Inland North. But I say soda instead of pop or call soda by the brand instead of a generic term. I suppose I'm categorized in the same group as the yoopers (which have their own special language!!)

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

Inland North here:

You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."

Duh - I'm from Chicago and do call carbonated beverages "pop". Doesn't everyone?
No... In Milwaukee Wisconsin (where I am at) we all call it soda... Not pop!

snuzy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow, I'm impressed. It put me down as Boston. When I was taking the quiz, I really didn't notice questions that would indicate that. Didn't say anything about pahkin the cahh.

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your Quiz Results Appear BelowYour results for this quiz have been calculated and are presented below:

What American accent do you have?
Your Result: The Inland North

You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."

The Midland
The Northeast
Philadelphia
The South
The West
Boston
North Central

Umm, I've lived in Alabama for 30 years!
I did go to preschool and kindergarten in Ohio, though...
And sodas are all Cokes, right? Even if it's 7 Up...

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No here (Wisconsin) Coke is only Coke... We do not call all Sodas Coke here otherwise that is what you will get a Coca Cola!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bonnie1965

When I talk with my friend in Georgia, I cannot get rid of the accent for a couple hours afterward.
i had a friend from Texarkana like that. i used to say he had a 'contagious' accent

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catsallover

And sodas are all Cokes, right? Even if it's 7 Up...
As a kid, I remember asking for orange cokes (orange crush), grape cokes (grape crush), sprite cokes, etc. In other places we lived, it was always a pop. Out here, I have heard the drinks called several things; I just say "soda" now.

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Apparently my accent is Inland North but Northeast and Midland weren't too far behind.

By the way I also say pop. The parts of the country who don't say pop are flat out wrong.

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by trixie23

The Inland North was my result! Wisconsin was brought up in the results, of course since I am from there! Except in Wisconsin we call soda... Soda not Pop! Also water fountains are bubblers and Hooded sweatshirts are called Hoodies!

Results: Inland North!

i had the same thing , i call pop *fizz* but normally by the name like coke is coke , lemonade ect..im from south east england lol

chrissyr

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Your Result: The Midland

"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

O...k lol