Another question about raw feeding - percentages?

eck1kaylie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi, everyone! I've got another question about raw feeding. 

I've been reading through some more threads, and I found the Frankenprey calculator from Catinfo.com (I'm leaning towards the Frankenprey method for when I do transition).

http://catcentric.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Frankenprey-Calculator.xlsx

My question is, what percentage of their body weight should I be feeding them? I think I've read that adult cats should be 2-4% (correct me if I'm wrong), but I'm unsure about how much to plan on feeding Onyx. I want to be absolutely sure I've got everything figured out before I start their transition! :)

Onyx is 4.5 months old, somewhere around 4-5 lbs (silly me, I got an analog scale to keep track of Jasper's weight when we got him. I'll have to invest in a digital one!)

Any other tips are greatly appreciated! I've been researching like crazy and taking lots of notes
 but I can never get too much info! 

nuieng

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
General guidelines is 2-4% of body weight for adult and 4-8% of body weight for kitten. You will have to weight your kitten at lease once a week. For young kittens, I will use 8% to prepare their food.

The percentage is just an estimate. Your kitten may eat more or less depending on his energy needs. When he have growth spurts, he will eat a lot more. I usually feed my kitten as much as he eats and he will stop eating when he's full.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

eck1kaylie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you very much! I was planning on picking up a couple of digital scales before I start the transition (bathroom scale to weigh Onyx, kitchen scale to weigh food), so it wouldn't be any trouble to weigh her every week. :)

dhammagirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Regarding scales, I picked up a used digital scale for weighing babies at a resale store for kid stuff. It was half the price of a new scale. It's great to monitor my overweight cat to see if he's losing any weight. In fact, it's weigh-in day!

eck1kaylie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Regarding scales, I picked up a used digital scale for weighing babies at a resale store for kid stuff. It was half the price of a new scale. It's great to monitor my overweight cat to see if he's losing any weight. In fact, it's weigh-in day!
That's a great idea! We've got a store like that nearby, I'll have to check it out :)

eck1kaylie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
While I'm still thinking about scales, any recommendations for kitchen scales? I just checked out the ones we've got at target while I was working and we've got 11 or 22 pound capacity, glass or stainless steel. Is one material better than the other for any reason (even just easier to clean)?