Another "poop" issue

cs91387

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a short hair female Manx (no tail) who's about 3 years old. Her stools are dry and well formed, and she dirties her cat box like a good thing. Lately I've been occasionally finding little nugget balls of poop around the house. I removed one off of her butt tonight. They look like they're clinging on by hairs in the stool, not on her fur.

I feed her quality dry food from Costco, which she likes, and haven't ever changed her diet.

Because she doesn't have a tail, her bum hole is out there for all to see and clingons are pretty gross to look at, let alone finding them on the carpet.

Any suggestions??

oneandahalfcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I have a short hair female Manx (no tail) who's about 3 years old. Her stools are dry and well formed, and she dirties her cat box like a good thing. Lately I've been occasionally finding little nugget balls of poop around the house. I removed one off of her butt tonight. They look like they're clinging on by hairs in the stool, not on her fur.

I feed her quality dry food from Costco, which she likes, and haven't ever changed her diet.

Because she doesn't have a tail, her bum hole is out there for all to see and clingons are pretty gross to look at, let alone finding them on the carpet.

Any suggestions??
Hi there,

Does your kitty drink much water? It could be that she isn't getting enough moisture, and her dry stools are the result. The other possibility is that it could be that something was changed in the formula of the food you usually feed her and the change is what may be causing the stool to be different.

If she is not a big water drinker, you may want to think about feeding her some wet canned food, in fact, wet food will be more healthy for her than the all-dry diet. Wet canned will help hydrate her colon and the result will be stools that are moist, well-formed and easily passed. It sounds like she may be passing some hair through her stools which is as it should be.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi
Many of us here would suggest you consider adding wet food to the diet. It can help with many things and will add a lot of water to her diet. :-)

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hi
Many of us here would suggest you consider adding wet food to the diet. It can help with many things and will add a lot of water to her diet. :-)
   When I started finding those little marbles around the house, I started noticing my old guy was stopping wherever he was and straining just to drop out a marble here and there
.  Adding extra water to her food could really  make a difference. 

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please see a good vet! I once purchased a Chartreuse cat spontaneously from a woman very keen to rid herself of this particular cat. She insisted that the cat was using a litter tray although I had never even brought the subject up.

Only later - finding dry marbles everywhere in the house did I realise that there was a big problem. Unfortunately, the first vet obviously thought I was the patient. About a fortnight later I tried a second vet who told me she should lose some weight. The third treated her for diarrhea (yes, she sometimes had that as well) and then for hairballs. The next visit she was finally given an X-ray Her intestines were completely blocked!

She never recovered from the op. By this time her poor body was obviously poisoned.  

She was the most beautiful and easy-going cat I'd ever owned and it took me a very long time before I could take on another pet.

oneandahalfcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Please see a good vet! I once purchased a Chartreuse cat spontaneously from a woman very keen to rid herself of this particular cat. She insisted that the cat was using a litter tray although I had never even brought the subject up.

Only later - finding dry marbles everywhere in the house did I realise that there was a big problem. Unfortunately, the first vet obviously thought I was the patient. About a fortnight later I tried a second vet who told me she should lose some weight. The third treated her for diarrhea (yes, she sometimes had that as well) and then for hairballs. The next visit she was finally given an X-ray Her intestines were completely blocked!

She never recovered from the op. By this time her poor body was obviously poisoned.  

She was the most beautiful and easy-going cat I'd ever owned and it took me a very long time before I could take on another pet.
I am sorry for your loss! ... Its so unfortunate when this happens as the result of not getting the right opinion/treatment in the first place. Sounds like she was a very lovely cat. 

Last edited:

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She was! I didn't have her long. I took her on, as an older, placid cat, to help my very old Susie, whose lifelong best friend and worst enemy had died leaving her a nervous wreck. She used to scream every night and I would find her hiding in a corner. The Chartreuse was so easy-going that Susie, although a bit jealous at first, had no cause to fight and the screaming and fear of intruders stopped immediately. There followed a period of frequent visits to the vets with both cats for one reason or another. Susie's death was expected - she'd been acquired as cat "46", age unknown, from the animal shelter, eighteen years previously. I had hoped to have many years spoiling and being spoiled by the beautiful Chartreuse, but it was not to be. Since her death, in 2004, I have  confined myself to unwanted strays and kittens - it keeps me busy and out of mischief.