Another pet food manufacturer bought the wheat gluten and they make wet & dry food!

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

I wont say anything on two of the mentioned but NUTRO aint crap ... it just happened that the 10% not made by Nutro was the pouches ..

Wellness is MADE IN THAT plant by MENU

Merrick is good and mine are dining on it
Well I'll say something. Wellness continues to put garlic in their food. This can be toxic to cats, their sensitivity to it varies and the effects are cumulative. I won't feed anything with garlic. Doing a search on "garlic, toxicology report" will put up past threads where I've given a link to a toxicology report from 2005 advising against its use with dogs or cats.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just to add to the list of foods not to feed- Giant foods has added their "Companion" foods to the recall- it is an off brand (store bought) made by Menu foods- they're products have been on the recall since the 17th but i just ran across it and wanted to share this with ya'll just in case! Also- our local Big Lots store has been selling their products- we bought a bag of dog treats from them made by this company (before we knew about the recall) so i looked online to see if it had been recalled or not tonight- i will be tossing it out
here's the link

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/st...4548055&EDATE=

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jpawz

StarryEyedTiger--

I was just thinking of what is happening with those who deal in rescue work, fostering, or anyone who is feeding colonies/groups/ shelters, etc. I would be in such a panic

These manufacturers should send 'safe' foods to all of the group feeding establishments. It's tragic enough a family loses a pet but those who are caring for tens of hundreds....This is unacceptable. Just NO words.

I tried to start a 'positive note' thread earlier but this new thread is actually doing what I had hoped that thread would do. Call more attention to exactly what we are feeding our cats.

Knowledge is power.
Knowledge is definitely power- it's just trying to find accurate info at the moment that is a nightmare
Our shelter has been hit hard by this recall. I had to dump out even more food and treats today
At this point at my home i'm starting to wonder if the formula i use for my infant foster is ok. They get Pro-Biolac. I dont think there's any wheat gluetin or flour in it but i will check.

ilovemykitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That is crap!
i really only feed my cat dry food and i don't want anything to happen to her or any other cat. what did they think they are doing?
the company has an obligation to the public to voluntarily come forward with details concerning the wheat gluten.
we trust them to make food that is healthy, or at least won't harm them and then they pull this.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul pretty good- i'm thinking about switching all of my animals onto that tomorrow. It's gluetin free from what i've picked up online and has nothing to do with menu foods. I also like the ingredients
Anyone have experience with this product?

ilovemykitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Auntie Crazy

Anyone else have any wheat gluten-free foods to suggest?
forgive my ignorance, but how do you find out if it is wheat gluten free or not? does it say on the bag that it's there anywhere or do you just assume its there unless specifically stated otherwise? when it all came on the news my mother told me that she checked it out and our cat food was fine but how do i know? i don't have that much money but i want my cat to be healthy and happy? i am feeding her whiskers but my mother said that the type she bought or it was a different factory or something that ours was fine. i think i am gonna go get different cat food anyways because she doesn't particularly like this food but i don't know any relatively cheap healthy cat food brands, and she is getting older so that is also something i need to take into consideration. i don't really know anything about cat food so i think i am gonna check it out before i go. there has got to be stuff on this forum right?

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ILoveMyKitty

forgive my ignorance, but how do you find out if it is wheat gluten free or not? does it say on the bag that it's there anywhere or do you just assume its there unless specifically stated otherwise? when it all came on the news my mother told me that she checked it out and our cat food was fine but how do i know? i don't have that much money but i want my cat to be healthy and happy? i am feeding her whiskers but my mother said that the type she bought or it was a different factory or something that ours was fine. i think i am gonna go get different cat food anyways because she doesn't particularly like this food but i don't know any relatively cheap healthy cat food brands, and she is getting older so that is also something i need to take into consideration. i don't really know anything about cat food so i think i am gonna check it out before i go. there has got to be stuff on this forum right?
There is a thread on foods not involved in the recall, and yes, every food, dry or canned has a list of ingredients, so you can check to see if wheat gluten is used

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anyone heard of Bil-Jac food? It's not on the recall list and doesn't have wheat gluten in it. But I can't seem to find out where it is manufactured.
If anyone has information in this I'd love to know. It's what my MIL feeds her dogs and they are fine, so I'm thinking about switching my cats to it.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jugen

Anyone heard of Bil-Jac food? It's not on the recall list and doesn't have wheat gluten in it. But I can't seem to find out where it is manufactured.
If anyone has information in this I'd love to know. It's what my MIL feeds her dogs and they are fine, so I'm thinking about switching my cats to it.
Bil JAC contains by products( yes they are the organs so I allow that in a wet not a dry...) lots of corn and chemical preservatives plus the mollasses aka sugar for flavor... there are alot worse but it aint on my good to great list

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Bil JAC contains by products( yes they are the organs so I allow that in a wet not a dry...) lots of corn and chemical preservatives plus the mollasses aka sugar for flavor... there are alot worse but it aint on my good to great list
I fed this years ago, and had my vet at the time tell me that stool samples brought in on my cats, showed a lot of undigested vegetable matter..I don't think she was a fan of Bil-Jac.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

Is Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul pretty good- i'm thinking about switching all of my animals onto that tomorrow. It's gluetin free from what i've picked up online and has nothing to do with menu foods. I also like the ingredients
Anyone have experience with this product?
i feed the chicken soup, both dry & wet, & am very pleased with my results. it's also quite cost effective, much less expensive than many 'premuim' brands, yet better quality. it is a bit grain-heavy, but no wheat or corn.