Purraise
Sorry where do i get these testing sticks for the urine? Thanks a million

Sandy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pasons

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks at least I do not have to type everyonme a separate reply.

You are all so helpful

Thanks

Sandy

sugarcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sorry where do i get these testing sticks for the urine? 
From any pharmacy. They stock them behind the counter, so you'll have to ask the pharmacist. Ketostix test just the ketone levels in the urine, where as Keto-Diastix test for both ketones and glucose. You mostly want to focus on the ketones, which can lead to a life-threatening condition called keto-acidosis. One thing that's helpful about testing urine for glucose if you aren't home-testing bgs, is if you start getting negative tests (so no glucose present in the urine). That means blood glucose has been below the renal threshold  since the last time the cat peed (somewhere around 240-290 mg/dL). This is when you might want to be careful that you aren't giving too much insulin. So urine testing does have it's place. Another tool in the toolbox.  

pasons

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We bought the relion tester and after at least 10 pricks my husband managed to get some blood. We had just fed him. His reading if we did it right was 600 on the human mewter.It said high. On the vets it was 625 without the insulin. This was at 6pm.

We are going to test thim an hour after his insulin about 9pm and try again before we go to bed. Is that the right times to test?

We are of course worried with a 600 reading.

I really appreciate all your help. We have stopped the W/D and on the grain free wellness chicken formula. Seems my husband was giving him the W/D biscuits.

Once again thanks, just so worried.

Sandy

sugarcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We bought the relion tester and after at least 10 pricks my husband managed to get some blood. 
Woohoo!!! Congratulations! Not sure if you rubbed or warmed up the ear first for a few minutes but that will really help make it easier to get a drop of blood. I use a thin old sock filled partially with uncooked rice (a knot tied in the end). I heat it in the microwave for about 30 secs (time will vary depending on the microwave and the amount of rice in the sock) to make it warm but not too hot. You'll find it awkward at first, but try to enclose Max's ear in the sock for a few secs at a time, like this: wrap the ear, then remove sock and give him pets, then wrap the ear again, then remove and pet (and rub the ear too, to get him used to it being handled), and repeat until you feel the ear is nice and warm and you can even see the little vein that runs along the edge of it. 

Also try using the lancet device on a deeper setting at first. You can eventually dial it down to something shallower later once the blood starts coming easier. And make sure to press it firmly against the ear, with a folded tissue as backing on the other side of the ear to prevent the lancet from going through and getting your finger. After you get the blood sucked up in the test strip, press the tissue over the poked spot and hold it there for a few seconds to minimize bruising. 

We are going to test thim an hour after his insulin about 9pm and try again before we go to bed. Is that the right times to test?
The ideal times to test are generally just before you give insulin, and then some spot checks around the +3 (3 hours after insulin), +6 (6 hours after insulin) and +9 (9 hours after insulin). But you don't have to do all those spot checks on the same day, especially when you're just getting the hang of testing. One day get a +3 reading, the next day +6, and so on. Log all the numbers that you get in a notebook, with the date, the amount and time of insulin, and what/when Max ate. I also like to keep track of the number of times kitty pees a day and how much he drinks (measure out a specific amount of water twice a day, say 2 cups, and then poor what's left back into the measuring cup after 12 hrs and subtract it from the original amount). 

When you get more comfortable testing, you can try doing your own curve at home. That would typically mean testing Max's bg about every 2 hrs, like this:

PS (for preshot)

+2

+4

+6

+8

+10

+12 or PS. 

One more important thing about testing: make sure you give Max a small extra special treat after each test, something that he loves and only gets at test-time (and preferably low-carb, like freeze-dried chicken such as Halo Liv-A-Littles or Real Food Toppers). That will help him to learn to love getting tested! My cat purrs the whole time and used to come running when he heard me warming up his rice sock (he's too old to do much running these days). 

We are of course worried with a 600 reading.
Cats are really amazingly tolerant of high bg numbers for much longer than dogs or humans would be. That's not to say that you don't want them coming down soon, but it isn't a race. After gathering more data and trying to figure out a trend, you and your vet will be in a better position to figure out what to do next. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by pasons  

We have stopped the W/D and on the grain free wellness chicken formula. 

Okay, just keep a close eye on Max and try to get some tests around +6, give or take, to see how low he might be going. Without the high carbs of the W/D, that insulin dose might have a more profound effect. I'd still be inclined to drop down to no more than 2u. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by pasons  

Once again thanks, just so worried.

You're doing great!!! Diabetes is a serious, complicated condition, made even more complicated by the fact that our cats can't talk to us and tell us how they feel. But you and your husband are taking the steps required to get Max on the road to recovery. Hang in there!!! Make sure you take time to look after yourself too. Wine and/or chocolate and/or a nice hot bubble bath can really help. 

pasons

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I cannot thank you enough for all your help and info. Very stressful day, the first testing was 594 before insulin. second 6 hours later 250 just did another 8 hours since first shot 450. He is just constantly hungry and wanting food.  My husband is doing all that you said and is getting better. Our cat sitter is coming this evening  to see how all this works,who luckily is a paramedic so hopefully will be able to handle Max when we are both overseas and our son is working out of town.

Should I feed him when ever he miows? He looks at me so pitifully.

Our curve with the vet is tomorrow and will take all olur paraphanelia with us meters test books etc.

Once again you are so kind.

Thanks

Sandy

sugarcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Should I feed him when ever he miows? He looks at me so pitifully.
How much is he eating a day? Personally, I would feed him if he's hungry, or at least space out the meals evenly throughout the day if you can. Until Max is better regulated, he can't fully utilize the food he eats and therefore feels hungry all the time. 

The fact that he went down to 250 at +6 shows that he's at least having a response to the insulin. I'd be curious to see how fast he's dropping so if you can get a +2 and +4 at some point, that should provide valuable info. 
Our curve with the vet is tomorrow and will take all olur paraphanelia with us meters test books etc.
Good luck! Let us know how it goes....

pasons

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Max was really good. Not sure about me!

Vet with his pet tester had  8am   579 ours with relion tester 479

10am  413                                 433

12       219                                160

2       133                                   93

4       125                                   77

The vet did his intravenously from the leg vein.

Max lost another pound and he wants us to leave biscuits when we are out??????? What biscuits as W/D are so bad?

He has kept him on three units twice a day. He is still always hungry but not drinking as much but still a lot.

He looked at our curve and was pleased with us.

I am feeding about 2 tins a day or more with friskies wellness. Any other ideas?

Any other ideas? Max is using the feline pine which is saving a lot of digging wwith the caly litter.

Thanks again for all your support, I have been a basket case through all this but getting adjusted.

Thanks

Sandy