Another Litter Question

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

You change it twice a week? That would get really expensive unless you are putting less litter in.
I use about 8 - 12 pounds per box, times 14 litter boxes.  I don't trust clumping litter because I know enough about the properties of sodium bentonite as a desiccant and about phyllosilicates in general that I wouldn't use it near cats.  "Easy," isn't always best for all concerned.

tuffsmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I saved quite a bit of money by by-passing the regular litter box and went straight to the storage box dept at Walmart. Found a great Sterilite box 16x23 and 6 inches deep. My cat doesn't know the difference! Ha!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
​What brand of litter do you use 1CatOverTheLine? I think I put over 20 pounds in each box, but these are huge jumbo boxes

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

​What brand of litter do you use 1CatOverTheLine? I think I put over 20 pounds in each box, but these are huge jumbo boxes
I use WalMart's "Premium" Special Kitty (regular clay litter); 26 bags to a pallet.  I buy five pallets every 90 days, on average.  Clay hasn't the density of clumping litter.

SeventhHeaven

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

After a while doesn't the clumping litter lose its clumpability? I bought non-clumping once by mistake and that's when I fully changed the litter, but I was planning on changing this litter when it seemed like the texture of the majority of the litter had changed somewhat.

Also, two scoopings a day with one cat? Wow, I'm a slacker. I scoop every 2-3 days. Is that wrong?
 I find it always clumps but when comparing clump to non some will have more dust than others...

For minimal scooping you might Enjoy the Llittermaid    http://www.littermaid.com/Products/Litter-Boxes/Classic-Self-Cleaning-Litter-Box-580.aspx

box that scoops for You after every visit from your Cat 
    I use pellets very inexpensive no clumping or tracking mess.

But machines do require clumping.

I wash the boxes out minimum every 2 weeks if I have time once a week.  (Boys squat in the corners
)

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
I cleaned his box this morning before I left for work & right before I left I checked and he had gone again. Not sure if it's that he was holding it until the coast was clear or if he wanted to christen the new litter. I did clean that out as well.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
​1CatOverTheLine- Oh, okay! For some reason I thought you were using clumping litter and dumping it twice a week. I was thinking, that would be really expensive! But it makes sense if you are using non-clumping litter. That stuff has to be dumped every week at least, I remember how stinky it would get if I tried to stretch it to 10 days.