Another kitten diarrhea conundrum.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maniacmaddy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all so much for your suggestions! Mikey is approximately 7-8 months old now and doing pretty well.

About three weeks ago I took her to a local spay and neuter clinic to have her fixed and microchipped. She has a primary vet that I'm honestly not crazy about and the surgery there would cost about $200. $60 at the clinic, and I've been there previously. Anyway, I filled out the medical history form and noted that she's had chronic diarrhea. After I left, the clinic called me back and said that the vet worried she was too thin for the surgery. They said she was six pounds, which I don't think is too light, but I was absolutely going to take their recommendation. I bought the raw Nature's Variety rabbit food and she just DEVOURED it. I've never seen her so interested in food. I've been mixing the raw medallions with canned Nature's Variety rabbit and pork. I've also been giving her a probiotic.

I finally saw her poop this past Thursday -- and it was a normal poop! I feel like such a dork for being so excited about it. I've weighed her this week and she was definitely over six pounds, so it seems like things are turning around.

I'm really not excited about spending this much money on cat food. I would like to find a few brands that are less expensive than Nature's Variety. I'll spring for the raw medallions but it would be nice if the cans could be more reasonable. Hopefully this is primarily a food intolerance and not a gwar gum/Carrageenan issue.

Also, has anyone noticed that the dog and cat varieties are seemingly identical? I noticed canned dog food was .50 cents cheaper than the cats at Petco!

amythyst

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's wonderful news!  Yay!

I also found that going with a fresh food diet has helped my kitten's unexplained diarrhea.  I put him on the fresh pet chicken and they also have a beef and chicken mix.  I use it as a supplement to a normal wet food diet and it has helped tremendously.  He does eat it but he's not like crazy about it.  The best time to give it to him is when I wake up in the morning and he hasn't eaten all night long.  Then he's so hungry he'll just eat it. :)    I like this kind cause its in little soft pellets and I don't have to muck around with the raw food "logs" and the having to cut the medallions etc...

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Thank you all so much for your suggestions! Mikey is approximately 7-8 months old now and doing pretty well.

About three weeks ago I took her to a local spay and neuter clinic to have her fixed and microchipped. She has a primary vet that I'm honestly not crazy about and the surgery there would cost about $200. $60 at the clinic, and I've been there previously. Anyway, I filled out the medical history form and noted that she's had chronic diarrhea. After I left, the clinic called me back and said that the vet worried she was too thin for the surgery. They said she was six pounds, which I don't think is too light, but I was absolutely going to take their recommendation. I bought the raw Nature's Variety rabbit food and she just DEVOURED it. I've never seen her so interested in food. I've been mixing the raw medallions with canned Nature's Variety rabbit and pork. I've also been giving her a probiotic.

I finally saw her poop this past Thursday -- and it was a normal poop! I feel like such a dork for being so excited about it. I've weighed her this week and she was definitely over six pounds, so it seems like things are turning around.

I'm really not excited about spending this much money on cat food. I would like to find a few brands that are less expensive than Nature's Variety. I'll spring for the raw medallions but it would be nice if the cans could be more reasonable. Hopefully this is primarily a food intolerance and not a gwar gum/Carrageenan issue.

Also, has anyone noticed that the dog and cat varieties are seemingly identical? I noticed canned dog food was .50 cents cheaper than the cats at Petco!
Yes, at least last year, the Dog and Cat Natures Variety Instinct were identical, only the dog food comes in a larger can, for less

So glad things are working out now

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only problem is that cats require Taurine, dogs do not so that ingredient is more than likely not in the dog food cats.