Another Food Question Based On Database Analysis..

xenathecrazy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I love the cat food database but as I'm checking the brands of food I'd like to try, I'm left back at square one. When comparing some of the more premium foods, in this case the dry formulas, some are no better or worse than the cheaper brands such as Purina One or Pro Plan when comparing the protein, carb, and fat content. How then do you make a decision based on ingredients alone? The label looks good but you're spending more for a supposedly premium food than is less nutritionally appropriate than cheaper brand.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
I had this issue when I was looking at the database as well. I find the protein/fat/carbs information to be a good spot check, but the brand and ingredient is also critical to me.

For example, "Purina Indoor Cat Chow" and "Natural Balance Green Pea and Chicken" dry foods have almost the exact same protein, carb and fat percentages. Based on these numbers, the foods look identical. The ingredients are so different though. That specific Purina is mostly corn and wheat, with the protein source as corn gluten. Natural Balance is a lot of peas, and some chicken. The main protein source is probably the peas. Not great, but better than corn IMO.

Trin ate the Purina and got fat and lazy. After eating the Natural Balance, he stopped binge-eating, had a huge energy increase and was climbing and playing more and he naturally lost weight and became healthier.

When I look for dry food, I look at the first 5-6 ingredients, and I want to see meat in most of them. That is my number one consideration.

Next, I want no corn, soy or wheat anything. That is useless and (I think) potentially harmful filler.

After that, is when I start comparing brands. I look at carb content probably next, and find one with fewer carbs. Then I try and avoid peas and potatoes as much as possible, which is hard. I am currently feeding Nature's Variety Instinct LID Rabbit kibble, and it's full of peas. I also want the least number of ingredients, which usually means they add peas.

Another factor for me is to pick a brand I trust. I like brands that even in their cheaper lines have species appropriate ingredients (for example I understand adding potatoes or peas as filler, but I don't trust brands that use a lot of corn). I understand that brands our out to make money, and I am wary of brands that I think cut corners. I favor smaller but established companies (as long as it's within budget).

For wet food, I have similar guidelines, but there are a lot more specifics I look for in the label that I prefer to see / not see.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh and cost is in there somewhere, lol. But I do not conpromise on the first two points, so it would be at highest third on the list. I’d rather pay more than feed corn or not meat.

i understand the wanting meat, and less carbs. Can i ask why you dislike corn specifically so much? I am not a fan of corn, wheat, any peas, grains or potatoes, other assorted fruits and veggies myself. Just seems like you really don't like corn, and i wondered why? :headscratch:

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with what KarenKat KarenKat said. I look at the numbers first, protein, fat and carbs. I want as little carb as possible. Then when i find "good numbers" i start breaking down ingredients. do i think most of the protein will come from a meat source? What are the first 5 ingredients? Then are there ingredients that are on my no no list? peas is a big NO for me, i have one cat that will stink you out of the house if he eats food with many peas. And just keep breaking it down from there on which ones i think are the best. which food has the least carbs, and the least ingredients from my NO list?

KarenKat

Top Cat
Purraise
Can i ask why you dislike corn specifically so much?
Probably because my one experience with the Purina Cat Chow. That caused more problems for Trin than when I fed the pea-based foods. I guess I don't have any more data to back up corn being any worse than peas or potatoes other than that anecdote. And Gohan ate the exact same food and showed pretty much no difference at all when we switched. And I know some cats, like yours, have allergies or insensitivities to peas and for them corn may be better. I also see the most of the cheapest foods (with no meat at all, like the Cat Chow) seem to use corn. Whether because it is cheaper than peas/potatoes, or because slightly more expensive brands like to advertise grain-free I don't know.

And in full disclosure, I didn't even realize the extent of my bias until you mentioned it :blush:. I might look into it and see if there is a study that shows that corn is better or worse (or the same) than other non-meat-based proteins.

I stand by my criteria, though, because emotionally I would just feel weird about feeding corn in ways I don't about peas or potatoes, and that would probably keep me up at night.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Probably because my one experience with the Purina Cat Chow. That caused more problems for Trin than when I fed the pea-based foods. I guess I don't have any more data to back up corn being any worse than peas or potatoes other than that anecdote. And Gohan ate the exact same food and showed pretty much no difference at all when we switched. And I know some cats, like yours, have allergies or insensitivities to peas and for them corn may be better. I also see the most of the cheapest foods (with no meat at all, like the Cat Chow) seem to use corn. Whether because it is cheaper than peas/potatoes, or because slightly more expensive brands like to advertise grain-free I don't know.

And in full disclosure, I didn't even realize the extent of my bias until you mentioned it :blush:. I might look into it and see if there is a study that shows that corn is better or worse (or the same) than other non-meat-based proteins.

I stand by my criteria, though, because emotionally I would just feel weird about feeding corn in ways I don't about peas or potatoes, and that would probably keep me up at night.
Good reasons, i was just curious. I know i have read some things about corn being one of the better grain type ingredients for cats. But then i also know that most all, if not all corn is GMO, and that bugs me a lot. I am not a fan of GMO, corn and soy are most likely all GMO these days. I think wheat is still fairly safe in that regard anyway. so i try to stay away from corn, and soy, but boy its hard to do sometimes :oops:

josiegirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cat don't digest corn well. They can eat it but they hardly get any nutritional value from it.

2BSH

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’m not a big fan of the cat food database myself. Their carbohydrate numbers are waaaay off on so many wet foods. I don’t rely on it at all. Just throwing that out there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xenathecrazy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
2BSH 2BSH Would you say that you found some good foods rated as not that great and some not so great foods quality wise rated better than they should be?

2BSH

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
2BSH 2BSH Would you say that you found some good foods rated as not that great and some not so great foods quality wise rated better than they should be?
Yes. And their values are way off. I just don’t like what they base their rating on. Several foods that I feed and know for a fact are low carb are listed as high carb.

KarenKat

Top Cat
Purraise
I find it’s a good rough guide, and I contact the pet food company and ask them for their values. Some of them have been close and some of them have been pretty off.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xenathecrazy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have been calling the companies too just to verify on the ones I'm really interested in using just to be sure.