Annoying Advertising

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Anne

I like the ideas of contests. We used to have quite a few in the past, and might be time to bring them back. But I won't be using them as fundraisers. This site, along with a few others, is a business. Privately owned and run by me. So, no, I'm afraid fundraisers aren't the way to go about this. Do keep the suggestions coming, I do appreciate them.
Sometime, when I can afford it, I'd like to become a full fledged paying member. Until then, I think the pop ups, talking ads, etc. are a small price to pay for participation in a website of this caliber, especially like Phenomsmom said
The flashing banners do annoy me but they are out of sight when you scroll down so itsnt not that big of a deal.
Anne, I understand what you are saying about fundraisers not being a way to support TCS. I do love the calendar idea though. Any chance we could do that anyway (not as a fundraiser)?

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have to say that I actually get a big kick out of the Ad where you get bash Bush. I can take all of my agressions out on someone who deserves it

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Larke

Shalom Annie, Ani Larke, ha bayta in Canada! I'm writing because a problem just occurred two days ago (and has continued) which is very annoying. I have a Mac, don't mind the regular ads or popups, but the new problem is that as soon as I'm on your site a blank page "Untitled" appears behind the site page, and if I access any (Behaviour) forum postings, another blank pg. appears on top of the 1st, called 'Untitled 1 (or 2 or 3...) and when I leave the website, I have to manually click off on all the blank sheets before I can go to another site or even just my desktop. I do hope you won't tell me I have to pay to get rid of the pages, as they are not ordinary popups or ads, but an invasion of my system, and a huge nuisance. Besides I love the site and don't want to abandon it because of them, but I'll be darned if I pay to get rid of them either. Bavakasha, lyla tov, Larke
I actually have a paid membership and I got those at home last night - 23 in all.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rockcat

Sometime, when I can afford it, I'd like to become a full fledged paying member. Until then, I think the pop ups, talking ads, etc. are a small price to pay for participation in a website of this caliber, especially like Phenomsmom said
Anne, I understand what you are saying about fundraisers not being a way to support TCS. I do love the calendar idea though. Any chance we could do that anyway (not as a fundraiser)?
Did TCS not already do a calendar a couple years ago and it wasn't a huge success if I remember correctly. Calendars are costly to produce and if one doesn't sell them it's a waste. If my memory is correct and this is indeed what happened it's unfortunate as there are so many beautiful cats here!

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think we did a calendar. I know we did talk about it. We also talked about incorporating Caption This photos with the winning captions.

We did do a mousepad at one point. The set up cost was high, and we had trouble.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm..I haven't heard noises, but my only real stink are the flashing banners. They aren't just here, they're all over. I had childhood seizures and am still sensitive towards flashing anything (the strobe effect).
I understand that when you don't pay you get advertising. I'm totally web pages support thru advertising, however I wish advertisers would take into consideration the epileptic.

chichismom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Phenomsmom

I think Cagnes has a great idea with the fund raising idea! Iphoto contest and a calander are genious ideas. I know I would buy a calendar with my favorite TCS kitties on it!
me too especially if Reilly is in it

I'm fine with the advertising, but I am getting 1 sometimes 2 pop-ups everytime i click something on this site
I know were not supposed to use pop-up blockers etc... but I could'nt take it anymore. I also plan on becoming a member soon, so I won't have to deal with them at all.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I actually have a paid membership and I got those at home last night - 23 in all.
I "allowed" advertising, logged out and returned as a guest, and over a period of more than 2 hours, got one pop-up for IM smilies. I visited TCS from school this morning (so no cookies), and also only got the banners and one pop-up. Apparently, your browser and anti-virus software make a huge difference.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Just to clarify -

Paid members can switch off advertising on the forums, and on the forums only. We have no way of making that effect take place all over the site, to the best of my knowledge. I will take it up with our programmer though, as we are currently working on a new and exclusive content management system for the site itself (other than the forums).

No one is supposed to be getting more than 1 pop-up every 24 hours on the forums and up to 2 pop-ups (because we're using two different networks) on the rest of the site. This is regardless of whether you're a paid member or not. I am aware of a problem in that regards and we're working on it with the advertising network.

Thank you again for your patience

cheeseface

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Hey Linda, there's a check box in the control panel under "edit options". It's near the bottom. If you check it and save changes, no advertising will be displayed in the forums for you.

casa de gato

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The first time I heard that 'Hello' it sounded so much like my mom !!!! I shouted Helloo back....

I thought I had left the webcam on some how, logic told me I couldn't have but I still kept saying 'helloo, hang on I am not sure whats wrong' back while I checked all the plugs etc....

I felt very silly when I realised what it was

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
lol Casa, now we all know what your mom sounds like...

Ok, folks. No more pop-ups for now, neither on the forums nor on the rest of the site. Tech support on the network couldn't find a solution to the massive pop-up attacks some people have been expriencing, so we preferred to shut it off completely. Sorry for the inconvenience caused while it was going on. We are still working on a multi-tirered membership program. Work is in progress on many changes on the site (not necessarily the forums), so check in here every now and again to read the latest news

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Anne! I am very grateful that you go to such lengths to make us TCSers happy campers! You are great!