Animal Shelter Question

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure if anyone here has any knowledge on what I'm looking for, but never hurts to ask. My questions pertain to 501(c)3 shelters, private, in Arkansas. Is their a specific set of guidelines they must follow and if so does anyone have a link to these? I won't go into the specifics, but I do have good reason for asking. Things such as must employees be on a payroll or paid as independent contractors? Are 501(c)3's required to have board meetings and have minutes of said meeting recorded. Out of date medications--such as Euth drugs. If this is not allowed, please delete thread. Thanks for any info!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
501(c)3 operate like any other business in day to day operations. They can have paid, unpaid, contract, etc employees and/or volunteers. They typically have to do annual audits and account for the usage of funds. Which doesn't mean they have caps on pay or expenses, just that they have to report on what they do spend money on.

They do have to have a board of directors which are unpaid volunteers who oversee the running of it. Usually they will be responsible for the overarching direction and big changes but the CEO or director will be responsible for day to day and implementation of the direction from the board. How much power is on the board and how much on operations staffing depends on the balance of the organization.

The regular regulations as to medications would apply to a non-profit as any other organization, county shelter or vet. If they are knowingly using outdated medications I'd start with the paid director or manager, then ask to present an item to the board and if neither work take it to the local regulating organization. I know pet industry isn't as tight as human medical industry so I am not sure what specific regulations there are in place. The organization could be knowingly used old medications as a cost saving measure. Most medications do have a window that they are still full potency after expiring. Which isn't condoning it by any means but having worked in no profits sometimes you make what you have work. I remember the year that we raffeled off crappy pool tables every month as a fundraiser because we got them donated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you Kieka Kieka !! You have been of a great deal of help!! Very short back story. I was Director of our local shelter until last year. The lady that replaced me has recently resigned/been let go. She has been reaching out to me fervently wanting to discuss some issues which she has with the running of said shelter. I haven't agreed to meet with her yet, but would like to be a little prepared if I do decide to.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you want to discuss them in any official capacity you'd need to collect any supporting documentation to back up what you say. Otherwise you would likely be grouped into disgruntled employee category (honestly). If the same problems are happening both times it speaks to either a institutional problem and a weak or oblivious board OR a problem starting with the board. If you can rationally go to the board president with a clear outline of the problems and supporting documentation you may be able to make a change. But it has to be rational and it can't just be feelings but documentable issues.

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The problem lies with the President of the Board. I do have documentation regarding other things I won't go into on this forum. I'm also suspecting my predecessor is wanting to address the same issues. In the years I was there we did not have a formal "Board Meeting." Only a meeting of Director, President, PR and Marketing and employees. I have a lot to think about. I have since moved on, knowing a lot of things would be hard to prove. I do feel changes need to be made though.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If the problem is with the president of the board you'd have to find out who are the other board members and approach them. They'd have to vote to remove the president or override him in votes. Honestly, if he is the problem it's very hard to change. The non profit I worked for ended up going bankrupt because of poor management that started with the president.

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, that is what I was afraid of. The Founder approached me a couple of years ago wanting to oust her. She has since had a change of heart, or been reminded by the Pres of her involvement in certain issues. It has been a convoluted mess for a number of years due to this one individual. Just such a shame because it could be a great assett for the animals of the community and not a high kill shelter once again. I don't know, maybe there is another way. What is it they always say in a white collar crime?
"Follow the money trail....."

Thanks for your help Kieka Kieka