Animal myths quiz

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oops! I called you Frisk! I'll fix that...

And yes, thanks for defining your credentials!
As I say, I don't buy ANYTHING I hear 100%, and prefer to err on the side of caution. My father encountered some cannibals in New Guinea during WWII, and he was told that they considered the brain a delicacy (again I say, BLECCH), and I've always wondered if they were part of the studies... or if they even exist today.

Eastern Europe, though -- cannibals in Eastern Europe? That's something I've never heard about... not sure I really want to know, either... brrrrr......

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So they study this in virology, even though it's not a virus? I've forgotten the word -- oh, no I haven't -- it's called a prion, right?

And as a student of virology, what's your opinion: is a virus a true lifeform or not?

alwaysaangel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

So they study this in virology, even though it's not a virus? I've forgotten the word -- oh, no I haven't -- it's called a prion, right?

And as a student of virology, what's your opinion: is a virus a true lifeform or not?
As far as the cannibals - I can't remember where they were - for some reason eastern Europe is at the forefront of my mind though so I think they were in the mountains there - I'd have to check though.

Yup - its a prion - a protein that is indigestible, cannot be burned, or destroyed in anyway that they've been able to find yet. Its actually quite cool, they've incinerated this stuff, buried it for 10 years and when they took it out and injected it into a cow it STILL causes a disease - theres no disease causing organisms that can do that - which is why the prion is such a marvel to scientists and such a mystery to us still. So physically - its ability to remain active after all sorts of things that would typically deactivate a protein is what makes it differ from a protein.

And no, viruses aren't an organism. They do not have the basic cellular components to be considered an organism (ribosomes, DNA replicating equipment, etc) - they NEED another organism to make proteins or reproduce themselves - because they can't live without their host, in scientific terminology they don't qualify as a true lifeform or organism.

But prions aren't technically viruses - we used to think they were but they don't follow the same structure (protein "head", some sort of genetic material inside, some proteins inside, and a mechanism to enter host cells), its JUST a protein. Thats what makes them so confusing and interesting.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bikeman

As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly. Oh, sorry, wrong quiz, but I feel in good company if Ann Landers can also get tripped up on that one.

So I'm bringing a big economy bag of rice to the next wedding and letting it fly. I'm also going to bring some of those fake trick birds that explode, just to add more enjoyment and humor to a happy occasion.
Love it!

Wrong on the rice and the chicken. Seriously, the chicken lived? OMG how freaky is that?!!

AlwaysAngel - the place you're thinking of (cannibals) is Papua New Guinea.

alwaysaangel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pushylady

AlwaysAngel - the place you're thinking of (cannibals) is Papua New Guinea.
Thank you! I've always prefered the science of it - dates and places I suck at!

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
60/80.

Slipped up on the CJD and Mink question.

I was trying to read quick and the one about white rice being thrown at weddings, I kept reading as 'WHITE MICE'. Was wondering where it was a tradition to throw mice at the bride