Animal digging up pet grave

jamiecat13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat ive had for 13 years died last week and im very upset...my mother has never burried an animal before so we wraped her in a towel when we picked her up then put her in a small dog bed and curled her up the way she likes to sleep...i dug a 2 foot deep hole and burried her like that...i didnt pack it down rlly hard and there was a hole so i thought the hole had just caved in but then i realized there was a small pile of dirt so something tried to dig it up...i fixed it but i went back out this morn and there is a large hole and im afraid to get a better look...what kind of animals would dig it up...i hav groundhogs under my deck but they r grass eaters? im afraid if i see my cat it will be very gross because its only been 8 days.

subvet642

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat ive had for 13 years died last week and im very upset...my mother has never burried an animal before so we wraped her in a towel when we picked her up then put her in a small dog bed and curled her up the way she likes to sleep...i dug a 2 foot deep hole and burried her like that...i didnt pack it down rlly hard and there was a hole so i thought the hole had just caved in but then i realized there was a small pile of dirt so something tried to dig it up...i fixed it but i went back out this morn and there is a large hole and im afraid to get a better look...what kind of animals would dig it up...i hav groundhogs under my deck but they r grass eaters? im afraid if i see my cat it will be very gross because its only been 8 days.
   I am so sorry for your loss.

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's terrible and I'm so sorry for your loss.  Maybe you could try covering the grave somehow to discourage the animal that's digging.  A couple  of suggestions are scatter medium size stones over the top of the grave,.. or get some chicken wire and use stakes to hold it in place over the grave.

It's hard enough to lose a pet and I certainly hope this situation doesn't continue.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aw, I am so sorry to hear this.  When I bury my furkids, I dig the hole very deep, and carefully replace the sod.  Then I take a large sheet of plywood or any wood, and make sure it more than covers the hole.  then I weight it down with more wood or large stones.   Anything of weight will work.  And this stays on the grave for quite a while.  Sometimes weeks or months.

I know how stressful this is.

God Bless.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry for you.....it hurts so much to lose a baby. My heart goes out to you at this time.

When my sister buries her cats, she finds a large stone (she lives next to a creek) to put over the kitty's grave. That helps deter predators.

We have our cats cremated and keep their ashes with us; right now, they're all in a cabinet in the living room. Some day, when one of us passes on, the survivor will have their ashes mixed with ours and then scattered.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
AW so sorry and Welcome to TCS. :hugs: I agree that I would place a large stone over the grave. Maybe pack more dirt around the grave too and then place the stone. I am so sorry your lost your kitty. :rbheart: :vibes::vibes:

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww, sweetie, I'm so sorry for your loss.
   I think the large stone placed over the area is a good idea, this way it also serves as a marker. I have also seen pet markers on amazon, if you want to check that out.

You could also plant some flowers there. That would be nice.