Angry cat taking it out by peeing on my stuff

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

missinasworld

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I'm glad that letting him out has stopped the inappropriate urination inside! And it's great to hear that you're trying to think of other ways to enhance the outdoor space for Stray.

I just hope he stays out of trouble out there. Is there a reason he goes out at night? Rather than going out during the day and coming inside at night?
Yes, I work nights so this way he can be inside when I'm sleeping and outside when I'm awake. :)

Missina

srstone

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi

Yes absolutely cats do pee out of anger! I have a female Siamese and when one of us angers her, for example my daughter gives her a bath, she will find something of my daughters and pee on it. If I don't let her on my lap when she wants she will pee on my shoe and sometimes she does it in front of us looking at whoever she is mad at at the time.. She has done this since she was a kitten. I have found she has a short memory span though and if I play with her or do something special for her after she is angered then she won't pee on anything. This only works when you know she is upset. She will look straight at me and pee on what ever it is she has chosen. My oldest daughter brought her dog over a couple of weeks ago and my cat peed on her suitcase. My son accidentally stepped on her tail and he had a surprise in his shoe. So the trick is to figure out what is angering your cat, and try to stop what ever is angering her or him. If you notice your cat upset give him or her a little attention trying to get the cat to forget the anger. I've also put my cat in a kennel as a time out when I've caught her in  action. For the neigh Sayers yes cats are that inelegant and yes they have that emotion and yes my cat is fixed.

I hope that helps

tammyp

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sort of right.  Your observations are good - do something to the cat (accidental or otherwise) that is not nice, and pee happens.  Do something nice to the cat after the horrible thing, and pee is averted.

Now switch 'angry' to 'stressed'.  (The STRESSED cat may look angry to a human, but it is a falacity to label it as such.  Think also about people - stressed people often then experience and act in anger.  But it is not the root..)  Stress would be the outcome of all the triggers you have noticed.  Likewise, playing with her is an amazingly good de-stresser (this is why you have noticed the/a solution).

And yes, Siamese cats are incredibly smart, so I wouldn't necessarily and categorically say they don't have the high order mental facility to plot vengence.  However, cats who are not Siamese, and not at all smart, will act on these same triggers.  Anger and vengence are not the root.  Stress and doing something to mitigate their stress - by peeing and mixing their smells either with the person who makes them safe, or to the thing that 'hurt' them and thereby 'owning it so it is safe' - is the root.

It also helps us as humans (cat lovers, cat indifferent people, and cat haters) to understand cats better.  A misunderstanding like this, at best perpetuates the  'conniving' urban myths about cats.  At worst, it gives the cat haters fuel for their abuse.  For the cat indifferent and the cat lover, increase understanding gives us even better relationships :)

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sort of right.  Your observations are good - do something to the cat (accidental or otherwise) that is not nice, and pee happens.  Do something nice to the cat after the horrible thing, and pee is averted.

Now switch 'angry' to 'stressed'.  (The STRESSED cat may look angry to a human, but it is a falacity to label it as such.  Think also about people - stressed people often then experience and act in anger.  But it is not the root..)  Stress would be the outcome of all the triggers you have noticed.  Likewise, playing with her is an amazingly good de-stresser (this is why you have noticed the/a solution).

And yes, Siamese cats are incredibly smart, so I wouldn't necessarily and categorically say they don't have the high order mental facility to plot vengence.  However, cats who are not Siamese, and not at all smart, will act on these same triggers.  Anger and vengence are not the root.  Stress and doing something to mitigate their stress - by peeing and mixing their smells either with the person who makes them safe, or to the thing that 'hurt' them and thereby 'owning it so it is safe' - is the root.

It also helps us as humans (cat lovers, cat indifferent people, and cat haters) to understand cats better.  A misunderstanding like this, at best perpetuates the  'conniving' urban myths about cats.  At worst, it gives the cat haters fuel for their abuse.  For the cat indifferent and the cat lover, increase understanding gives us even better relationships :)

Tammyp is absolutely right - I was about to post almost the same thing myself. The only point I would add is that cats cannot be 'angry' with you - a cat does not consider the feelings of anyone else, whether they be cats or humans. They love us because we give them food and shelter and replace their mothers in their lives. They accewpt certain other cats for mutual benefits, but only as long as there is no hurt or fight for dominance invvolved. They usually accept us as dominant and act accordingly. But if we hurt them or do something against their concept of their own well-being, they will then try to neutralise the effect by being dominant, by marking something as theirs, claiming it with their own smell, getting rid of the smell of something that has annoyed or hurt or stressed them. It is not 'anger' as we know it. And as Tammyp says, to mix a cat's own smell with its own human is one of the most basic instincts of all, to make the cat feel secure is a stressful world..

Last edited: