Angels

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

That's the very reason I don't believe in any miracles or any supernatural beings out to protect/comfort anyone. Where are they when babies are abused? Raped? Killed? What about the thousands of children dying from disease and starvation? Who's there to comfort and protect them?.. Why should a person who's had a full and halfway decent life be the one to get saved/comforted/protected?
The way I see it... the very fact of our perception is what gives rise to "good" and "evil." I believe that there is no "in" without "out," no "good" without "evil," no "love" without "fear," (as I believe the opposite of love is fear, not hate); no "happiness" without "sadness." Tragedy is the human condition by its very nature. Human happiness implies human suffering and there is no separating the two. To me - life itself is a miracle.

Thus it is that I don't believe in "supernatural beings" so much as I believe the universe - the universes (for I believe there are an infinite number of them) - are so beyond our human comprehension that we struggle to find "names" to explain things we do not understand. I believe in connections, in "miracles," - things that transpire or occur beyond "time" and "space" as we know or understand them - yet are able to perceive them.
We can call these events, experiences, these - whatever - angels, ESP, deja vu - to me, these are all expressions of something that happens outside of "normal" perception. I believe there are "angels" just as there are "devils," and the suffering about which you ask are people that are the victims of circumstance (perhaps karma?
) or the actions of evil, where the stories shared here are examples of people perceiving - for lack of a way to express it in "normal reality" - angels. Some of us are "blessed" to see, hear, perceive - pick a word - angels. Others are "cursed" to see, hear, perceive - pick a word - devils. Some of us are.... recipients? of the "blessings" of angels... some of us are.... victims of the "curse" of devils. These words seem inadequate, but I hope they convey in some small way what I am trying to express.

For me, it begins here:

There are so many translations, and I can't find my favorite right at the moment, but this is just passage 1 from The Tao:

The way that can be told is not the eternal way.
The name that can be named is not the eternal name.
The nameless is the beginning of heaven and earth.
The named is the mother of the 10,000 things (or, alternatively, the myriad of things).

Ever desireless, one can see the mystery.
Ever desiring, one can see the manifestations.
These two spring from the same source, but differ in name; this appears as darkness.

Darkness within darkness. The gate to all mystery.

Basically.... as soon as you "name" the eternal, it is no longer eternal. It's the same basic irony as the concept of "peace on earth." Peace does not go hand-in-hand with change - people or States can be "peaceful," but if it exists in time, it cannot exist without friction, discord, war - whatever manifestation.

Originally Posted by strange_wings

Have you heard about the third man factor? It's debated whether it's external or internal. Many believe it's just your inner voice.
Never heard of it.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For me, I honestly don't know what I believe. I haven't developed my beliefs yet.

But I like to think there is something spiritual out there watching over us. It seems so negative to think that nothing like that is possible.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I believe in Angels.
I've seen one when I was about 12.It floated through the air in our house.
And I have felt one.I had to have a hysterectomy in 2005.When they were wheeling me back, my husband,Mom and youngest son were there.They were on my left.They all kissed my left cheek.The monitors and all were on my right side. I was praying to God that my Dad be there with me. He had passed away in Jan of 2005. Someone kissed me on the right cheek,and told me it was going to be ok.
When I came to, I told my husband that I felt him kiss my right cheek and tell me everything would be ok.He,my Mom and the Nurse all looked at each other.I asked what was going on.He told me that he kissed my left one.The Nurse said "there was no way he could have kissed your right one hon,the monitors and all were there." I smiled,and told them that it was Dad that did it then. I knew in my heart as I said it,that it was true.
I often sit and cry after Karri's(adopted daughter) death. I talk to her all the time.When I get stressed really bad, I ask for a sign from her.I smell her in the house, I hear her laughter,and I feel her touching my back. I know she is saying "Mom, I'm never far from you,and I am doing good in Heaven".
Tomm is my thyroid biopsy,and I will be praying to her and my Dad to get me through it.

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I believe generally in spirits and that there are things that science can't explain, outside of our realm of understanding.
I never really use the term "angel," though.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mollysmom

I believe generally in spirits and that there are things that science can't explain, outside of our realm of understanding.
I never really use the term "angel," though.
Yeah, I'm normally really picky about semantics, but I'm not on this issue - because it's so hard to find "words" with a common basis of understanding for things that are, basically, beyond "normal" understanding.