Angel talks back to me when I tell her NO

tom w

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, Maybe this is not that odd to all of you but alot of times when Angel is into something she shouldn't be or trying to sneek out when I let the dog in or out I look her in the eyes and say "NO" in a way so she gets my drift and she will talk back to me as if she is smarting off to me or whining that I tell her no. Most times she listens but is not happy about it.

Do any of you have cats that talk back when they get talked to?????
Its so funny when Angel does it I have a hard time keeping the stern look on my face when I tell her "NO" lol.

She is real bull headed and pretty much does what she wants when she wants. But I also think she trusts me the most of the people that live here.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yes, I know that meow! It is like they are saying ''Ã was only looking'' or ''I didn't mean to''! Or just a protest, like why not?

ali012281

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My girl talks back when I tell her no too. She sounds really ticked when I use that stern voice too. I imagine that she thinks SHE owns the house and she is mad because I tell her not to touch something that she owns. LOL

renny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lol...Lucky is my back talker. Sometimes it's more of a whine (like if she saw me eating cheese and i said she couldn't have any). Sometimes after i say no, she'll back talk a bit and then start rubbing up on me and sucking up hoping i'll change my mind! Silly manipulative girl!

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, Gracie talks back to me. Sometimes, I feel like she's yelling at me, complaining or even bossing me around. She's very vocal and demanding, but so incredibly cute, I always give in.

foxyfantastica

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This has made me smile so much.. i love it when Theo 'chats' to me. he back chats ALL the time, whenever and whereever he is told off or stopped doing something. Last night he tried to escape out of hte window and as i was pulling him down he was whining like a 'leave me alone! Why can't i?' as i put him back down on the floor he sauntered off to the bedroom grumbling all the way!! My friends are fascinated when they come over and they hear me chatting away to the cat.. and he seemingly chatting back. I love it!! (i think that they think i am crazy though..!)

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maddens a back chatter too!! He talks constantly but there is a very distinctive gripe when he gets in trouble!! I usually get the grumble and whine with a sharp flick of the tail and a good look at his behind! LOL He dosen't pout too long though!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Bijou tries to tell us what he wants. When he wants to go outside he talks to my husband and my husband talks back to him so they have a right regular conversation.

When he wants treats, he comes and stands on my leg then sits on the little mat in front of the sink and talks to me. I ask him if he wants a treat and he answers me.

Little Mika hasn't really got a voice (birth defect) but she can make enough of a sound to let you know she is there. She will make her little sound when she wants to play with the wand and feathers and also she'll sit on the mat and let me know she wants treats. Her little sounds are just so sweet she melts my heart.

jessy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Villy definately talks back! She always replies when she's told to stop it, and it really sounds like a back chat kind of meow, like, why not, or oi, let me scratch the carpet!

She talks to me loads all the time, especially when she hasn't seen me for a few hours, she always has loads to tell me about what's been going on!

Only another cat person would understand this!

turtlecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Molly's the worst for it!! She's also the most badly behaved, so if I do something she doesn't like (that generaly has nothing to do with her) she fusses me out! lol! she has such an attitude problem.
Gibby talks a whole bunch, and if you make his same noises he runs up to you and gives you snugga.

jane_vernon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Mum's cat Bridget talks to me over the phone!! I have great conversations with her!!

My two generally give me the "I'm hungry, hurry the hell up" talk!

sbw999

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My Blueberry definitly tells me what she thinks of being told to do something, with a very prissy and irritated, "meowwwwwwwwww".
Youre right, it is VERY funny.

meowsersmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Whenever I'm gone for a while, like the weekend, Meowser will velcro himself to me, meowing the whole time. I assume he's giving me a scolding for being gone so long.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Typical conversation in our house:

me: no - don't do that
cat: meow
me: because I say so
cat: meow
me: I don't care what you think, you aren't supposed to do that
cat (walking away): meow

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tom w

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Tuffy talks the most of our cats but is is normaly when he is walking around. Its like he is looking for something or waiting for a answer. Most times if I answer him he will come running to me. Angel is the one who makes the most different sounds depending on how she is feeling or what she is up to, she growls at strangers in the window when they walk by on the sidewalk, she must think she is part watch dog or something. She got out the other day again and she wouldn't come in for me but she spotted someone comming down the sidewalk and she made a beeline for the door lol.

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes mine talk back - Sunday doesn't really complain though, she just stays quiet and doesn't budge (the strong, silent type!) but Sashka, Cairo and Princess will all let me or Max know quite loudly if they're not happy with something. I think it's hysterical!

One time, before we'd moved in together, and Princess was HIGHLY jealous of the new female intruder in Max's life (ie - me
) Max and I were on the phone and Princess was meowing in the background. Max held out the phone and said `Princess, it's Sarah, do you want to say hello?' and she literally took a full-clawed swipe at the phone, hissed, and stalked off!! Now THAT was said in no uncertain terms!

hallycat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rosiemac

Pfffttt does Rosie ever back chat me if i tell her no!.

But then she has some tortie in her so i suppose i have to expect it
I had Missy at the vet and on her chart he put TORTIE. i didnt know what that meant. and didnt see it till we had left.. I just thought she was a very MIXED breed.. Then i saw your post ,, Missy talks a lot too. how can i find out more about this TORTIE thing? thanks so much Missy's momma

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Tortie is the coloring - it is a wonderful mix of black and orange. My Lucy is a Tortie with white. I had never heard about the tortitude before but I was mentioning to the vet that she is very persnickety and the vet said torties tend to have attitude. Lucy is persistent about what she wants and she will let me know very vocally that she is not happy with something. She is the only cat I have who will growl and purr when I'm holding her. We think she should have been named Mary, Mary, quite contrary.