Anesthesia - kitten died - seeking input

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KatKisses

Let us know what the necropsy says. that something is done about this.
Will do. I am sure my friend will tell EVERYONE what the outcome is.

kattiekitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That is so sad! Thats also why I love the vet I work for. He goes against common practice of spaying and neutering babies. We wait until an animal is at least 6 months old. This is because of the anesthetic risk involved. It's not the surgery that is dangerous, it's the anesthesia. He believes in letting them grow up a little before being subjected to that. This goes against alot of vets and the shelters beliefs but it does make sense. I guess he's old school but he is a good vet. We have treated more than one patient coming from the shelter that was spayed or neutered too young. Sometimes this also opens them up to getting infections like parvo in dogs. When there immune system is compromised as in healing from surgery, infections that they can normally fight off will break, and then you have one sick little puppy or kitten and one huge vet bill for the new owner.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope more proof is found against the vet from the necropsy.

Originally Posted by Kattiekitty

He goes against common practice of spaying and neutering babies. We wait until an animal is at least 6 months old.
He's not going against anything. Waiting till 6 months old is how it used to be taught and what most vets still do. This is great until a female kitten comes into heat early at 4-5 months old and is indoor/outdoor (because some do that) or living with her brother(s) of the same age who isn't neuter either because the vet refuses until 6 months.

There have been several past threads from new members facing those exact problems.