Anemic cat, potentially blood parasite

sophwolly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all. Feeling scared and desperate to understand what is happening with my cat. Zara is a 4yo domestic tortie who stays indoors. Over the past month and a half, we noticed she was eating less (use to LOVE wet food and eat her full serving) and was not herself. We took her to vet and they thought it was upper respiratory as blood work showed to be OK. Well, last week her health rapidly declined. She lost about 3-4lbs and eventually stopped eating. My husband and I were actually on our honeymoon so my mother took her to vet quickly and learned her red blood cell count was very low. They believe to be a blood parasite (but not definite). They suggested a blood transfusion but it was too expensive unfortunately. So they sent her home with prednisolone & doxycycline, an anti-nausea and appetite stimulant. Yesterday she seemed more interested in eating a bit, but today not at all. I’ve syringe fed her to keep nutrients in her, but am just so scared for her. Anyone with experience or guidance is much appreciated. I wish I could do the transfusion but they said that may not even guarantee anything.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So I'm guessing her PCV score is extremely low? Those meds she's on should help, but you could ask your Vet is giving iron supplements might help too. And if so, what kind and how much. Obviously, if they are suggesting a blood transfusion, that would be the best course of action, but sometimes finances just don't allow for that. Ask your Vet for any and all other options (like the iron). Keep syringe feeding her as long as you need to as you're right, she definitely needs the nutrients. Keep up with those medications too. That doxy may need to be given for at least six weeks if it does turn out to be a blood parasite. But it's critical to get her PCV back up, which hopefully the Pred and Doxy will do.

Hoping for the best for Zara :vibes::vibes::vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sophwolly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I'm guessing her PCV score is extremely low? Those meds she's on should help, but you could ask your Vet is giving iron supplements might help too. And if so, what kind and how much. Obviously, if they are suggesting a blood transfusion, that would be the best course of action, but sometimes finances just don't allow for that. Ask your Vet for any and all other options (like the iron). Keep syringe feeding her as long as you need to as you're right, she definitely needs the nutrients. Keep up with those medications too. That doxy may need to be given for at least six weeks if it does turn out to be a blood parasite. But it's critical to get her PCV back up, which hopefully the Pred and Doxy will do.

Hoping for the best for Zara :vibes::vibes::vibes:
Oh I’ll ask first thing tomorrow about the iron supplements, I have not thought of that so thank you!! I greatly appreciate your insight! Giving her all my love and strength during this fight ❤