Android Vs Ios?

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A few years ago I got my first ever smartphone. A Samsung with Android op system. I have been thinking about upgrading and found a good deal on an iphone. For someone who is NOT TECH SAVVY at all, would it be difficult to learn a new phone? Is the learning curve between the two operating systems a steep one? Thanks for your input.

CatCrazy777

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi weebeasties weebeasties !
I would say no, it's not too difficult to learn a new phone - It will probably take some getting used to tho - for example, when I switched from IPhone 7 to Nokia, I used to have to swipe up from the bottom to access the command centre, but now I have to swipe down from the top :lol:
It's just learning the different actions, otherwise, in my opinion all smartphones are pretty similar, including in terms of operating system.
I think yeah, go for it, and you'll adapt pretty quick!

macncheese18

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I personally think that the iPhones are actually easier to navigate compared to androids. I've found that androids offer a lot of personalized options whereas iPhones tend to have more standard settings. I switched from a galaxy to an iPhone and I definitely don't regret it! All the options and different settings just weren't for me and I have had a lot less problems with my iPhone than I had with my galaxy.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always get the Android phones. I like being able to stick a micro sd card in there. Removable battery was nice when they used to have it. But I just got an IPad and I love it.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for the info everbody! I was nervous about switching but you all have made me much less anxious.:biggrin:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I briefly had an iPhone at my last job. I found it confusing to use :dizzy:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I really like my iPhone. I am on my second one. It is so easy to use..

The caveat, is: Price... iPhones are so expensive.. You can always get a 7 or an 8.. a bit less expensive..

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
I really like my iPhone. I am on my second one. It is so easy to use..

The caveat, is: Price... iPhones are so expensive.. You can always get a 7 or an 8.. a bit less expensive..
~ Yes... I see "unlocked" older I-Phones that are about $400. I believe many are unused `` :)

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a Samsung galaxy 9 and it does not have a removable battery. Neither did my old 6, which is now my husbands. We just took it over to a shop and they replaced the battery for us.
~ I believe the advantage of a removable battery is the convenience of using a spare one. People who travel often do this. It's also a safe way to reboot a phone that has locked up .
I read that a removable battery takes more space - hence the reason more phones don't come that way .

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My husband has my old Galaxy 5 with a replaceable battery, and I can change the battery in my A4 (2018).
I am one better I have a Galaxy 4. I got a good deal on it because the Galaxy 5 had just come out and the store still had some of the Galaxy 4 left. I only got it because my previous phone had died and I will keep this one until it dies. I don't chase technology. My tablet is also a Samsung with the Android OS and it works just like my phone.

I think they have gotten everything so user friendly now that there isn't a major learning curve anymore, it is just a matter of personal preference and price.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Rick went from a Droid to an iPhone X with no trouble. He really likes it.

I went from my Droid Turbo to a Samsung Galaxy 9+. It's OK, but now I wish I would have gotten the iPhone.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I went from an iPhone 5 (in really bad shape) to a iPhone XR

My 5 had the battery swelling (could explode), the screen was blacking out, and the home button was getting stuck..

All in all, I got my money's worth out of that phone.

I really like the XR.. I do not care for the size, but I cannot see the justification in additional cost for the X-- just a smaller size.

I went to the Apple store for it. The best place to go if you are buying any Apple products. They set it up for you.. and help you understand the options. You can even sign up for classes.

I heard that if you buy a phone at a Verizon store, that is all they do! They then send you out the door, telling you to 'find things out yourself'. Not right. I heard this from several people who were at the Apple store.

m3rma1d

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie
Super Cat
Purraise
"Android vs iPhone" is an even more hotly debated topic than "Which cat food is best?"

That said, Android is far superior.
;)

But seriously if you already know Android, and you're not tech savvy at all (your words), why bother trying to learn a whole new system? Stick with the best, which just happens to be what you know already. :)

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I love my Iphone. I have a 6S plus I think. My husband switched from Android to Iphone and loves it. He switched from a windows laptop to an Macbook as well.