And we have a printer

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Honestly, things should not have to be that complicated. Got the printer home and let it go til after dinner and after some of the laundry was done. It was a snap to set up. Wirelessly, though? Not so much. Lots of muttering coming from our house tonight. I knew I had to give the router the printer's MAC address. And I knew I had to tell the printer the router's password. But it still wouldn't connect.  I finally gave up and walked away, calling the printer all kinds of nasty names
. Only to come back about ten minutes later to a steady blue light on the printer and a "Your printer has been successfully installed."  Go figure.

You know, I'm not stupid. I'm just not. But boy, when stuff happens, I feel like a total idiot. And it takes me time to figure it out when I know that somebody else could do it seconds. But I have to sit and think.

Now I have to install it to Rick's computer. And then to the laptop. And if I can figure it out, to our phones. I'll try Rick's computer tonight and see how well it goes. But honestly, I think I'll let the rest go til Thursday night. Enough is enough.

Still doing some laundry, too. 

ETA: Dear Richard's computer is using the new printer, too, so he has a choice now. He can either use the old 1220C or he can use the new 251dw. Installing the new printer on his computer was easier than doing it on mine!

Last edited:

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, you were more successful than us! We bought a new printer and DH installed it a couple of weeks ago. My computer is too ancient for the new fancy wireless printer, so it went on his. Problem was it shut down his computer and it took him almost a day to figure it all out. It screwed up the registry or something. Bit of a rigamarole! Hopefully we've got it sorted out now.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad you got your new printer Pam, good luck with it.  Hope you get used to it being wireless.

Last edited:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Gotta love technology.  I wish I was one of those people who love to tinker with things but I too just get frustrated very quickly.  Good luck with finishing the setup.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I used to really like playing around with software and new computers and their hardware. Now, though, it's just "get it connected" so I can work on something. When we got this last desktop, I think I left it in the box for about a week or so, simply because I didn't feel like dealing with connecting it all and then trying to get it all to work. And then once I had the old Vista one disconnected, I had to turn around and connect it on Rick's desk (and get rid of his old XP computer). Rick knows nothing about computers and he's fine with that, so when there's a problem, I'm the one who has to sit down and (try to) figure it out. 

The only reason I bought this printer is because the printhead in my old one bit the dust and I tried everything I could think of to get it running again....to no avail. I had to get this one running ASAP because I needed to print some stuff out for my work right away.

I managed to get the laptop and the printer to play nice together, so everything is working fine. I like the printer....the text seems crisp. The reviews I checked all said that photos seemed to really show some banding, but I don't print photos out; I'm more interested in text and some graphics work more than anything. And I'm more interested in printing out larger paper than letter-sized paper all the time.

Pushylady, hope you got it all figured out and everything is working ok!

cocheezie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I find wireless messes everything up. I'd rather go with cords. I understand cords. I don't understand wireless. It has a mind of it's own and constantly changes the settings on everything. So, I battle and I fight and I override, and finally manage to happily set everything up with cords – and then trip over them constantly.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I've heard wireless can be a total pain, so I was more than a little leery. Thankfully we're Ok.....so far. 

The reason I went wireless is because Rick's printer is very old now and, while it still runs beautifully, you just never know. If it dies, at least he has another option and we wouldn't have to rush right out and buy another printer to replace his. 

My computer is on my desk at one side of the room. Rick's desk with his computer is on a different wall. We have both computers wired to our network; we ran wire under the floor in the basement ceiling to go from the router to his computer. The wire comes up behind his desk and connects to his computer that way. He doesn't like his computer being slow online and we found that wiring was faster than trying to operate wireless. Since it's all in the basement ceiling, we don't have the wire running along the floor where we can trip over it and the cats can get after it.. You don't even know it's there, unless I pull the desk out for cleaning.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I like your printer, Linda. But I didn't want an all-in-one. I have a nice (if somewhat older) HP scanner for the rare times we need one. I take mostly digital pictures now, so no scanning photos anymore. And we don't fax at all (if I really need to fax something, I can do it at work). So I wanted just a printer. 

Rick was using it yesterday and he likes it, too. 

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a three in one.  I have used the scanner a few times but I've never faxed anything, I don't even have a land line anymore.  I've never needed to fax anything I've just emailed things.