And let the Vacation begin......

Status
Not open for further replies.

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm back!

Drats! I missed Fran! See you later, Fran!

That took less time than I thought!
I'm get faster everyday with that makeup/bath stuff. If you don't believe me, just check out page 512!

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Now, I'm ready for the rest of the Indy trip! I've poured myself a rum and coke from the bus bar and have it in hand. Where is everyone? Are you at the zoo or the gardens?

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, we will travel on and hopefully others will meet up along the way. We are heading into the heart of downtown Inpls. Monument Circle.

This is a shot at Christmas

Here is what it look like during the day (without the lights)

Here's a history of the monument:

At the very center of Indianapolis is the "State Soldiers' and Sailors' Monument" (1902), designed by Bruno Schmitz (1858-1916), Germany's foremost architect of national monuments. Completed in 1901, the Monument appears to be Schmitz's only commission outside of Germany and Switzerland. Most of the bronze and stone sculptures on the Monument were designed, executed and manufactured by Germans. The limestone sculptures are the work of Vienna-born sculptor Rudolf Schwarz (1866-1912). The bronze Army Astragal sculptural band above the monument base was designed by Nicolaus Geiger (1849-1897) of Berlin. The Astragal and the eight candelabra were manufactured in Berlin. The State Soldiers' and Sailors' Monument was dedicated in 1902 to Indiana's heroes who died in wars before World War I. Erected as a memorial to the soldiers and sailors of the War for the Union (1861-65), it also commemorates the War with Mexico (1846-48), Indian and British Wars (1811-12), War of the Revolution and the capture of Vincennes from the British on February 25, 1779. The Monument rises from a circular plaza, 342 feet in diameter, where once stood the governor's house--but where no governor ever lived. At the lower level of the Monument is a Civil War exhibit.

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Not far from the circle is the Scottish Rite Cathedral. It's huge!!!!!

Another view:

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Beth,

That is an impressive building for Indiana.
It takes up an entire city block if I remember correctly.

Here's a couple of views of the Indiana State Capitol Building

flisssweetpea

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Indy is such a beautiful city Chris - I'm so glad I came along to see it. The State Capitol Building is lovely and so many trees - it's so good to see greenery in cities.

Adelaide is getting excited - she knows McKenzie lives nearby - she's just popped her head around the door to say hello!

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hello, Tina!!!! Hello Gordo sweetie! George has been waiting for another boy to show up!

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Like with any city, though, not all of it is beautiful. Since we are in the Heartland of the US, people here like their beef. Here's where you get the best steaks in town. Anyone hungry?

www.stelmos.com

flisssweetpea

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
oooh yum - that looks good. Sadly, I'm going to have to pass on this one - time for beddy-byes for this gal and her crew.

Have a great dinner and enjoy the rest of the city. Behave yourselves whilst I'm gone and I'll catch up with you tomorrow

Night-night
Tina, Chris and any other vacation pals lurking out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.