Anal Sac Abscess Aftercare

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Things seem to be headed in a good direction. I don't know how much you want to keep changing things up - as eventually everything gets obscured.
I agree. Not sure I would add anything else into the mix just yet. And if you DO decide on adding the SLB, remember it messes with medications, so needs to be given a few hours before or after any meds.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sierramist

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree. Not sure I would add anything else into the mix just yet. And if you DO decide on adding the SLB, remember it messes with medications, so needs to be given a few hours before or after any meds.
Yeah, I thought so too. Thanks, everyone. I’m probably just being impatient because I want things to return to normal… and well, get a full night’s sleep!

In a couple of days his wound should be sufficiently healed so that we don’t have to monitor him constantly, which will be a huge help.

sierramist

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Keeping on with what’s essentially my boy’s poo journal 💩🙃.

Not much positive development today. He did a big liquid poo around 1:00 a.m., and a smaller puddle about 6:00 a.m. Nothing at all during the day, then he just did a medium-sized liquid (but maybe slightly thicker) poo with what looked like a little blood this time, which is concerning. So about 15 hours in between those bouts.

I’m still allowing him to lick his butt to clean after messy poos or leaky moments, and his poor butthole is red, swollen, and a little blood-tinged. Need to get this resolved soon. Poor buddy. What will soothe that which he won’t immediately lick off?

Once again, still hoping for progress but very discouraged that we seem to be stuck at the moment. On the bright side, still eating and drinking well, with his wound improving each day.

Will update the vet tomorrow and see what she says. Wondering if I need to drop the boulardii at this point? It’s been a week now, though we started at the emergency dose then switched to the maintenance dose 3 or 4 days ago.

He’s had some stomach gurgles and a few farts outside the box, so I wonder if I’m giving too many probiotics, too.

sierramist

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oookay, so today we had a runny poo around midnight after I posted before, then another one about 6pm, so 18 hours apart.

Today he’s been a little gassy. Is that a good or bad sign? He doesn’t seem to be in discomfort at all. But I know that stink = bacteria so maybe something is changing? It’s not exactly a usual poo smell, though.

Talked with the vet today and she isn’t too concerned yet. Recommended to give him some kibble to see if that helps slow his system and absorb things better. But I’m worried about dehydration, especially since he’s in diuretics already for his heart.We’re going to do that, keep everything else the same, and check in again on Wednesday.

I wonder, with the decent amount of time between poos, is he able to absorb water and nutrients decently, even though the bouts of poo are liquid?

We’ve officially been off Clavamox (the presumed culprit) for a week now, off Metro for three days. On Proviable and s. Boulardii for a week.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I wish I could answer your question about absorbing nutrients, but I just don't know. Another question for your Vet tomorrow. I just know that diarrhea can cause dehydration, so hoping he is drinking, especially now that he will be eating more kibble AND is on diuretics. Aye, aye, aye.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The general thought is that diarrhea would cause dehydration and nutritional loss, but I think - especially in the case of nutrition - that has to do with where the digestive issues are coming from within the intestinal tract that are causing diarrhea and why.

This article may be more confusing than helpful, but it could help you compile a list of questions for the vet - as well as responses to your vet's questions.
Your Cat Has Diarrhea: What to Do and NOT Do | Preventive Vet

sierramist

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wish I could answer your question about absorbing nutrients, but I just don't know. Another question for your Vet tomorrow. I just know that diarrhea can cause dehydration, so hoping he is drinking, especially now that he will be eating more kibble AND is on diuretics. Aye, aye, aye.
Yes, thankfully he's been a good drinker, and I serve Churu (with his potassium mixed in) with his kibble meals, and add extra water to every wet meal as well. In terms of just food, right now he's getting:

Breakfast:
  • 4-5 pieces of kibble as treats with his pills (kibble is Instinct Ultimate Protein)
  • 1/3-1/2 can (3 oz) of Wellness with extra water
  • (later) A 1/2 Churu with small helping of kibble
Lunch:
  • 2-3 pieces of kibble as treats with his pills
Dinner:
  • 4-5 pieces of kibble as treats with his pills
Before bed:
  • A 1/2 Churu with larger helping of kibble
Then lately I've been giving pieces of the boiled chicken as treats (not sure how this factors in calorically), and if I'm up through the night with him, another small helping of wet food if he's hungry.

I'm trying to push calories a little bit right now to make up for everything, but not sure what else I can slide into his day — or stomach — that won't be too much for him or risk more digestive upset. Any ideas? More indulgent treats like Greenies or Temptations?

We had been giving kitten food and supplements periodically when his heart disease was first diagnosed this Spring, to keep his weight up while adjusting to all his meds, but those are generally quite fatty and/or oily so I've stayed away from them during this time afraid it would make the diarrhea worse. I had been giving his potassium in a high-calorie Tiki Baby topper 2x day until before this abscess, so it's possible we need more calories in other places now to make up for it. I need to do all the math, ugh.

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I probably wouldn't add any new foods or treats at this point until you get the diarrhea under control. If he acts hungry, just increase foods he is already used to. Kibble IS typically higher in calories,and since the Vet suggested increasing it,it might be a win/win situation.

sierramist

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Another update. So Tuesday evening he did a poo that started off pudding but had a more soft, formed end, which I considered progress, but then overnight did a completely runny one.

There was also a soft serve poo in another box that night, but I’m not 100% sure if it was his as we do have two other cats. Seemed like his, though (not covered, placement) and the others don’t currently have poo problems. We have a camera set up to monitor him (originally due to his heart issues) but it didn’t capture anything definitive.

Wednesday I upped his kibble just a bit. No poo all day, then he went about 1:00 am, so almost a full day from the previous. I wasn’t up to catch him and he half buried it this time, but it did appear to be pudding-y.

So far it seems like more kibble slows his system down, but he’s not producing anything completely well formed. If that other poo was his I’d be feeling more hopeful, but there did seem to be a little change. Keeping up with the boulardii and Proviable, but wondering if I should drop the boulardii as it doesn’t seem to be doing much.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I honestly don't know what to suggest other than not to change anything just yet. It only been a little over a week with the med/supplement changes, so I am not sure if that is enough time to think changing things is necessary. Is he even done with the Metro?
Things seem to be improving even if it is on a very slow-moving scale.

Maybe it is time to call the vet and pretty much ask how long they want you to continue your regimen before something else needs to be done regarding his stools still being so loose.

sierramist

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I honestly don't know what to suggest other than not to change anything just yet. It only been a little over a week with the med/supplement changes, so I am not sure if that is enough time to think changing things is necessary. Is he even done with the Metro?
Things seem to be improving even if it is on a very slow-moving scale.

Maybe it is time to call the vet and pretty much ask how long they want you to continue your regimen before something else needs to be done regarding his stools still being so loose.
Okay, so just talked with his vet, and we're going to drop the s. boulardii for a couple days and see what happens. I actually started him in on it pretty quickly, the day after we started the Clavamox and diarrhea occurred for the first time on 10/15, and he's been on it since, first the emergency protocol from 10/16-10/17 which didn't do much, then at the therapeutic dose since 10/18. Because we haven't seen great progress, it's possible that it's been working against him somehow. We'll keep going with the Proviable, though.

His last dose of Metro was last Friday, so almost a week ago. She mentioned that IF the Convenia shot (he received this when we switched from Clavamox two days in, on 10/16) is contributing, the greatest portion of it would be out of his system by Monday, two weeks later, and we could see additional improvement then as well.

Lastly, she said we could also try Loperamide or Imodium, but wants to wait a couple more days before deciding on that. From what I understand it slows down your system, but since he's going now just once a day or so that seems like less of an issue to me.

Eurocat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi - really glad that things are definitely progessing in the right direction and that at least the frequency of BMs has gone down.
Seems like although your kitty’s health background is different, the symptoms, treatment (except the response to metro - which really aggravated my kitty) and response to treatment is very similar to the progession in my kitty.
As already mentioned - what finally put an end to my kitty‘s diarrhea was progessing through boiled chicken and rice only and then on vet’s advice changing exclusively to (a hypoallergenic/sensitive) kibble for 2 days only (she was drinking enough water), stopping all extra probiotics and implementing this paste here
Canikur Pro Paste – The Veterinary Medicine
Are you sure you can‘t find something similar in the US? I just put it on her kibble (apparently it tastes good;)) and even after the first application her stool had started firming up. I can tell you - I have never been so enthusiastic about seeing a turd in my whole life :))
I’m just mentioning is again as I’ve been following your thread and really get what you’ve been going thru! This paste was a life changer for me at this time, finally putting an end to 6 weeks of huge issues (which never have recurred since then).
One way or the other you‘re on the right track anyway and I‘m sure things will resolve very soon..
Very best of luck!

sierramist

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi - really glad that things are definitely progessing in the right direction and that at least the frequency of BMs has gone down.
Seems like although your kitty’s health background is different, the symptoms, treatment (except the response to metro - which really aggravated my kitty) and response to treatment is very similar to the progession in my kitty.
As already mentioned - what finally put an end to my kitty‘s diarrhea was progessing through boiled chicken and rice only and then on vet’s advice changing exclusively to (a hypoallergenic/sensitive) kibble for 2 days only (she was drinking enough water), stopping all extra probiotics and implementing this paste here
Canikur Pro Paste – The Veterinary Medicine
Are you sure you can‘t find something similar in the US? I just put it on her kibble (apparently it tastes good;)) and even after the first application her stool had started firming up. I can tell you - I have never been so enthusiastic about seeing a turd in my whole life :))
I’m just mentioning is again as I’ve been following your thread and really get what you’ve been going thru! This paste was a life changer for me at this time, finally putting an end to 6 weeks of huge issues (which never have recurred since then).
One way or the other you‘re on the right track anyway and I‘m sure things will resolve very soon..
Very best of luck!
Hey there! Yes, I think we're finally moving in the right direction, although slowly. He's going about once a day now, and last night it was pudding-y but with some more formed lumps — hoping the pure runny stuff is past us!

You know, Proviable has a paste that may be similar, and it's used in conjunction with the Proviable pills we're already giving him — Proviable® Kits For Cats - Proviable®

That could definitely be an option, though I'm betting my boy wouldn't be keen on eating it since he's a picky one!

sierramist

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Whew, so he didn’t go all night, and finally pooed this morning, probably about 29-30 hours since the last. And it’s better! 🎉

Apologies for a gross photo, but I’d love a second opinion. This time it seems like he has some formed logos with a bit of gooeyness that I’m not sure happened towards the beginning or end. More smell for sure. He covered it up too, which is a good sign though more difficult for me to go into poo investigation mode, lol.

IMG_6417.jpeg

So I think we’re definitely trending in the right direction now. Perhaps the boulardii was actually causing more problems, or it could also be a coincidence.

A possible secondary problem is that he takes a potassium supplement and his level might be lower than normal now due to the diarrhea (seems a little sluggish). So that’s a concern but we’re going to test it this week.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'd say the bit at the at the top most of your picture does seem to be more formed than the rest of it. What's on the right seems like pudding, and I can't tell about what's on the bottom, it's too covered with litter. But definitely not watery looking, which is good. And the fact that's he's starting to cover it up again is good. Fingers crossed he's turning the corner.

Let us know what his potassium numbers are

sierramist

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone — a pawwwsitive update. (You can tell I'm getting more sleep, I'm cracking puns.)

My boy's poo started to firm up even more over the past weekend, and the last two days it has been lovely solid logs, one a little gooey, one less so. I don't know if it was taking him off the boulardii or just time passing, but I think we're finally in the clear. We're going to continue the Proviable every other day for a little while then discontinue it.

We did get his potassium retested and it is lower than a few weeks ago, so we're going to up the amount of supplement we're giving and retest again in a couple weeks. Not sure if it really was malabsorption or what, but I'm glad we are on top of it. Luckily he didn't seem to lose weight throughout this experience and actually gained a few ounces somehow!

Thanks to all who offered advice and comfort during one of the most traumatizing cat illnesses I've been through yet. If anyone reads this later and has a cat with a similar issue, feel free to reach out.