Anal prolapse?

ziggy'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I picked up a kitten today that I may be fostering (she's with me for now). It's a small female, about 2.5-3 months old that was found as a stray in an area notorious for cat dumping.
Aside from being a little too thin and having fleas she seems in decent shape. What concerns me though is that she has something protruding from her anus. It's just a small, reddish thing that only protrudes a little bit but sticks out more when she strains. I have heard of anal and rectal prolapse and I assume it's one of these. Has anyone dealt with this and if so how was it treated? What was the cause?
Her poop stinks to high heaven so I assume that she may have some sort of internal parasites.
I am taking her to the vet tomorrow but I wanted to get some input here too.

Thanks

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I missed seeing this yesterday.

That poor little baby. Thank heavens she is under your care.
Please let us know what the vet said about this.

Here are some vibes for baby kitten.

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I knew someone whos senior kitty got an anal prolapse. How it happened I'm not sure but the vet fixed it and senior kitty was so happy afterwards, I was told, running around and playing like a little kitten. I'm not a vet but perhaps the odor is bacteria. I think a prolapse would dry out easily, then the skin can tear and bacteria gets into the cracks, etc. It's a serious medical issue.

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I imagine the vet will give her anesthesia for repositioning the rectum where it's supposed to be. IV fluids too perhaps.

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You should get in to the vet soon for this. Someone on this site lost a cat to uteran prolapse a while ago while the cay was giving birth. Not the same situation, but you should be careful as prolapses are bad news.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ziggy'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, what do you know, this afternoon when we went to the vet her rear was completely back to normal. Nothing sticking out. The vet thought it could have been caused by straining and pretty much healed itself. It looks like I worried for nothing but I'd rather worry too much than too little.
Other than having some flea dirt on her and being a bit thin she is perfectly healthy. Fecal was negative so I'm not sure why her poop was stinking so much. Probably diet related. I think it will get better once she gets settled in here. I'm going to put her on some probiotics to help her belly out a bit.
All in all she's doing great. She eats like a horse and has plently of energy. She's such a sweetie. Sits in my lap and purrs non-stop. Anyone would be lucky to adopt this little purr machine.

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I see you got this checked out already, and her hine-y is right side in-y now but I'll add my two cents.

Aya got that when she was a little wee kitten. I had her for two days before she pooped and poor thing was probably plugged up becuase boy was she full of it when she finally let loose on my floor!

Anyways, her rectum prolapsed a little. The Vet noticed and spent a good ten minutes trying to use a Q-tip to push it back in again (I don't think I would try this at home folks!). He said to be patient and see if it went back in on its own. He said it often happens to kittens who are straining to go. If it didn't self-resolve it would have to be fixed by surgery when she was spayed.

Sayuri had a little bit of the same problem while I was fostering her and her brother. She was constipated, mostly from eating litter methinks. It flipped back in on its own.

Anyways, I think this issue should probably be looked at by a Vet as there are probably varying degrees of seriousness to this issue.

taryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Mama had a bad rectal prolapse, several inches of her intestines were literally hanging outside of her. After sedating her they put everything back where it should be and she prolapsed again. She was already spayed so they wanted to do anything to try and avoid having to put her under, they were just sedating her, they didn't want to have to stitch her unless had no other choice, the second time thy fixed it it stayed fixed so they didn't have to give her stitches. She stayed at the vet's for a week being taken care of. I literally dropped her off they sedated her and put her in a wire carrier(feral, I told them before I even let her out of the carrier that I couldn't promise she wouldn't rip everyone's face off and that she did not like being picked up, she proved me to be a liar and loved on everyone. She was growling and hissing from the moment I got her in the carrier.) They then took her, told me they'd fix her and that I could either call them or they'd call me and let me know what was up. I called at least once a day usually more while she was there to check up on her and find out when she could come back. Like I said it took a week before they were comfortable releasing her from the hospital. They charged me what they originally quoted which involved a 1 or 2 day hospital stay so they didn't make any extra by keeping her for a week.

She somehow survived for 4 days like that(that is how long it took for me to catch her) in sub zero temps and even colder wind chills.

Like I said Mama's was severe they had to fix it right then or she wasn't going to make it and she did prolapse again once. I was told to keep her inside for 2 weeks while weaning her back onto dry food to make sure she didn't prolapse again but she decided to let herself out after a week and since she was on only dry food and was fine I didn't argue with her.

That is a cat survival instinct, I caught Mama after 4 days while she was eating(she never quit eating.) She had obviously ate a lot since it all came back up after they sedated her. If it wasn't obvious by the fact that she had several inches of intestine hanging out of her you wouldn't have known anything was wrong by the way she acted. Cats are very good at hiding illness especially ones that have been on the streets. Mama knew that she couldn't even hint that she was ill or she might be in trouble.

Taryn

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ziggy'smom

It looks like I worried for nothing but I'd rather worry too much than too little.

Much better to be safe than sorry. I'm glad she's ok