Anal glands?

Elvisrocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So my cat used the litter box today to poop. About five minutes later she comes out crying with her back end low to the ground. She started licking her butt. I tried wiping with a pet wipe but it obviously hurt her because she cried when I lifted her tail to do it. This lasted just a few minutes and she has been fine the rest of the day. No redness or anything on her butt. I'm wondering if this might have been her anal glands? I guess I'm just waiting until she poops again to see what happens. She only goes about once a day. I'm hoping this was a one time thing. Anybody have experience with this. She isn't scooting or excessively licking her butt. Thanks

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Its good that it was normal. Just wait and see what the next poop is like, hopefully it was a one off. Please keep us updated.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Do you know where to look to locate the anal sacs/glands? If you think of her rectal opening as the face of a clock, they are located at 5PM and 7PM and should be no bigger than a small sized pea. If she will let you, take a look to see if they are larger than they should be, which could indicate they are not emptying correctly and starting to clog up. Most vet techs can express them without having to make a vet appointment, but you would need to call your vet to verify they operate in this manner.