Amount of Water Cats go through

ferals

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ever since getting a new pet bowl set with a holder, I've noticed how my 2 cats go through a whole bowl within a day or 2 and drink lots of water in 1 helping. The bowl I used to use they'd tip over everyday with it not having the holder.

How common and how healthy is that for cats to drink and go through lots of water often?

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They need to drink enough water to compensate for not getting whole, live prey. If you think they may be drinking an excessive amount, you might want the vet to test for feline diabetes.

I fill my cats' water bowl every day. It holds about 16-20 ounces. I have 5 drinking out of it.

dan32

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The litter box is also a good gauging mechanism.  Not saying is your case, but several years ago - I had an elderly CRF cat and a domisticated feral with probable kidney issues (couldn't be examined, so never verified) who would generate gigantic clumps in the litter box from the huge amount of water they were drinking.  The clumps were so big, I couldn't pick them up with the spoon in one piece.

Then after I got new kittens, the clumps in the litter box were so tiny - I could hardly believe it.

The domesticated feral I mentioned came into the house already very sick and would drink whole mixing bowls of water in one sitting.  A mainly kibble diet makes them drink quite a bit to make up for the dryness of the food.

ares

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's interesting to see your cats go through so much water. I have a 5 month old kitten on a raw diet, and I almost never see him drink water - yet he continues to pee quite often. What are you currently feeding your cats? Dry or wet/raw?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ferals

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Catspaw66,

When I had Dolly checked for possible UTI and getting a complete checkup, the vet said she was clean and healthy.

Dan32,

The only thing the vet said felt funny but couldn't get examined was Dolly's kidneys

Area,

I feed my 2 mostly dry with a half a can of wet every 3 days.