Amitriptyline for Olley

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cathaus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We took Olley to another vet for a second opinion and had him loaded up on tests. He has nothing wrong with him. $350 worth of blood tests, urinalysis, bacterial cultures, etc, and there is literally not a thing was found, in fact they said he was extremely healthy aside from being overweight at 15.5 pounds.

However. I'll add onto this.
We have since put the cats on a limited feeding schedule, are fed twice a day, morning and evening, in order to curb Olley's obesity. We have also removed Olley from the amitr. Since doing both of these things, we have noticed a sharp decline in urinated areas.

The vet explained to us that his weight could have been a major issue in his desire to pee elsewhere since he was too large to fit into even boxes meant for larger cats. He would tip the boxes over and or couldn't fit into the covered boxes (which were a necessity due to our backhoe kitty, Bob). Therefore he would seek out easier places to eliminate, clothing piles, the bath tub, our bed, or even just the floor. The only issue I have with this though is he's never defecated on the floor and always ALWAYS poops in the boxes. HOWEVER, she also stated that (and just as I believe) he was also doing this out of a form of anger/resentment/spite. Now, I understand that a lot of people don't believe that any animal aside from humans will harbor such emotions, and I think that's ridiculous to assume.

I'll explain: During the time while giving Olley his medication he would run by both litter boxes and the bathroom tub in order to get to our bedroom- that was always the first place he would go to pee somewhere the moment I was done rubbing in the meds. There are two litter boxes on the way which he could have gone into, which he wouldn't, and he always pee'd on my side of the bed. He always pee's on my side or my pillows rather than my husbands. I am the one who always gave him the medication- maybe twice my husband had.

At any rate, we attribute him laying on cold surfaces because of his weight in order to help him cool down. Not because he has a urinary issue. We attribute his incessant grooming to the fact that he can't reach his genitals and anus because his belly is in the way.

Since starting the diet, and since we've taken him off his meds, he seems to have stopped. I can't prove this as of yet, but the fact that we haven't had any incidences in almost two weeks speaks volumes. I'm not going to say that this is the end, because I'd be pushing my luck.

If anything, I wanted to give an update on the situation and that we haven't found Olley a new home as of yet and will hold off that decision till there's another lapse.

I will check out the Cosequin and see how things go.

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is great news
How great to have a vet that is willing to actually tell you Olley was overweight and how to help him reduce safely. It sounds like you have hit the key to the issue.

Lots of for continuing success and thanks for the update. I was wondering how you were doing.

cathaus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well. I spoke too soon.

We caught him peeing on the carpet in our bedroom twice last night in the same spot- apparently he's been doing it while we weren't paying attention.
As discussed with my husband we are going to rehome him with someone who understands he needs to be permanently outdoors. We've given so many different tries to get him to change but its just not going to happen, at least not here.

I already put up an ad on craigslist for Savannah and dished out his information. I can't do this anymore.

cathaus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As it stands, between craigslist, facebook, and an ad placed at my husbands employment, I didn't get a -single- email or call from anyone.

So we still have Olley and things are getting more stressful. This is a cut and paste from my personal journal tonight:

We've been out all evening at a friends and we just got home. The moment we were in the door Olley was dashing through the house and I knew what was coming. It was how he was acting that signaled his intent/desire. First, he flipped out running from room to room until he found a corner and dropped a load. I cleaned it up, frustrated as this is the fourth time in almost two months. After cleaning up his mess he was still skulking through the house, and although I knew what was going to happen next, I just didn't know when and where. My husband and I got settled into bed, and I heard the jingle of Olleys collar, the spurt of urine hitting the carpet, and as I sat up to turn the light on he was "covering" his spot then took off again in a craze. This has been more frequent, more frustrating, and more tiresome for me each time. I've cried, I've been mad (at the situation, not him) and I feel hopeless.

He spazzes out before doing either of these things. He goes bat-crazy, flinches, twitches, runs through the house in a crouched position, and acts as if he's desperately looking for something. His urination and defecation are almost always sudden and immediate. His area of itchiness on his rear has spread to his shoulders and neck, we have to be careful about where and how we pet him. Before he freaks out he often has intense moments of frustrated grooming at which he then races off somewhere, stops, grooms again, and freaks out, the cycle repeats itself.

The only other thing I can think of? Allergies to the cat litter.
We'll try switching litters to the feline pine to see if this will make a difference.

Guys, I'm desperately trying to figure out what is going on without handing him over to someone else, but as I've said before the stress of him peeing, and now pooping, is getting worse. I have to worry about not only him, but myself. We learned that my landlord really doesn't like cats but was nice enough to let us have ours. This I learned from a neighbor who explained that, previous to her (her efficiency is attached to our house) residency here, the tenant before her had SEVENTEEN CATS. All of which practically ruined that side of the house after they urinated all over everything. I don't want to be A) Responsible for another disaster like that, and B) Asked to move because our cat is peeing everywhere.

On the one hand, I REALLY do love Olley and I'm trying everything I can to keep him. On the other hand, we only have so much money we can keep spending on tests, and only so much tolerance left to deal with this problem. I keep hoping that it's a problem that can be solved, and solved soon. I'm so frikkin broken on this issue, my husband wants him out of the house, and I don't want to lose our rental house OR allow it to be destroyed by cat pee.

The vets here, one vet will charge us about $100-$4/500 for allergy tests. So I want to try myself with a new litter, the Feline Pine, to see if that does anything. We and Olley's previous owner always used the scoopable, clumping clay litters and his desire to urinate out the box has increased over time. I'm wondering if this has to do with association issues where cat-litter/box=itchy, scratchy, neurotic. I don't know. Anymore I feel like I'm just grasping for straws.

cmoc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I took amitrytiline it made me sleep and sleep and wake with a thumping headache and feeling drugged.

Both my cats slept in the same room at night for years but when they got older one of them developed this peeing, spraying problem. In the end I was putting stuff down and covering up in about 8 or 9 places in the room. My husband suggested having them sleep in separate rooms, I said no, as they had always slept together. I was wrong. When Tobes was 15 he sadly passed away and from that day onwards, the other cat never sprayed or peed anywhere but the litter tray.