America's Most Misspelled Words

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OK. Florida's is receipt. Not that bad but I have a very hard time believing that California's is beautiful. :lol:

Don't they turn away unattractive people at the state line? :lol:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, Kat! :flail:

Sauerkraut? No, I don't think so. Unless people want to spell it "sourkraut". But no. I really don't think so.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
North Carolina's is angel. I can't believe people have trouble spelling that.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
For Texas, I'd go with "receipt". Not only is it misspelled but it's used as a synonym for "recipe".

Did you know that there are two or three deliberately misspelled words in the Webster's dictionary? They do it to catch copycats and plagiarists.

My spouse is 71 and still can't spell "says". It comes out "sez". And "surprise" is "surprize." He learned to read phonetically and I think that affected his spelling.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"Receipt" used to be the word for a recipe. It died out about 50 years ago, but you can still find it in old cookbooks.

I don't think those misspelled words are correct for any state.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My spouse is 71 and still can't spell "says". It comes out "sez". And "surprise" is "surprize." He learned to read phonetically and I think that affected his spelling.
I'm 67 and to this day I can not spell "regular". When I want to use the word I have to google it to get the correct spelling. I'm not a good speller anyway.

Muffy