American short haired Bombay, (apparently)

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It might help to contact a breeder (even if it is not the breed you want) in the area about such a cat and a breed and see if they know of anything?  I can find out the information from my friend and pm it to you. 

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Shred, what part of UK do you live in? 

We do have sometimes post about blackies in our SOS-forum, some may be in UK...

In any case, I had seen quite a few completely gorgious bombay-look alikes...

You can surely ask in there, if you wish.

Another tip: Many cats do prefer to have also a cat pal... Please consider to perhaps  to take 2... Making a double good effort.  

This advice whatever you take a look alike rescuee, or purebred Bombay - double so for purebred Bombay, they are rather lively!

About your and your partners beautiful memory letters.  Do you have a tread about Merlin in the Forum Crossing the Bridge?  It is the best place for such memories, and simple please make a link from here to there.

You can ask a mod to move your posts, if you wish, you dont need to move them yourself..

Good luck!

Last edited:

redvelvetone

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
aw Merlin was beautiful. I am not sure where you live,  but if you are in the USA, there is a site called Petfinder.com and you can look through adoptable animals in your area, and you can select breed too.

I found my Magnus that way - actually I found another Black kitten and when I inquired about him they said he had been adopted but I left my name with the rescue group and told them to let me know if a suitable adoptee came in. They got back to me that night with a kitten they had just found the day before - and they sent me photos of him and told me what he was like, so I had to meet him. And that's how I got my Magnus. Maybe you could try something similar (if you live in the USA). I'm sure there are similar types of websites for those outside the USA too, though I am not familiar offhand with them. Maybe another member here from your country could recommend one if you live outside the USA.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shred

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It might help to contact a breeder (even if it is not the breed you want) in the area about such a cat and a breed and see if they know of anything?  I can find out the information from my friend and pm it to you. 
Many thanks, much appreciated, I`m in the UK of course

shred

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Shred, what part of UK do you live in? 

We do have sometimes post about blackies in our SOS-forum, some may be in UK...

In any case, I had seen quite a few completely gorgious bombay-look alikes...

You can surely ask in there, if you wish.

Another tip: Many cats do prefer to have also a cat pal... Please be prepared to take 2... Making a double good effort.  

About your and your partners beautiful memory letters.  Do you have a tread about Merlin in the Forum Crossing the Bridge?  It is the best place for such memories, and a link from here to there.

You can ask a mod to move your posts, if you wish.

Good luck!
Thanks you very much, we are in North Manchester, Lancashire, although we don`t mind a bit of travel, indeed we did a 10 hour round trip the other week to check some cats outs.  I`ll try the Crossing the Bridge section, sounds nice, not had chance to check all the site out yet, still being new on here, but everyone appears very nice and helpful

shred

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
aw Merlin was beautiful. I am not sure where you live,  but if you are in the USA, there is a site called Petfinder.com and you can look through adoptable animals in your area, and you can select breed too.

I found my Magnus that way - actually I found another Black kitten and when I inquired about him they said he had been adopted but I left my name with the rescue group and told them to let me know if a suitable adoptee came in. They got back to me that night with a kitten they had just found the day before - and they sent me photos of him and told me what he was like, so I had to meet him. And that's how I got my Magnus. Maybe you could try something similar (if you live in the USA). I'm sure there are similar types of websites for those outside the USA too, though I am not familiar offhand with them. Maybe another member here from your country could recommend one if you live outside the USA.
Very nice of you to say so, I`m in Blighty unfortunately, the UK, its been over ten years since I last visited the USA, not so bad for bringing guitars back, but probably not cats, haha, thanks anyway, kind thought

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll talk to my friend Ann in the UK and ask her for her breeders information.  I think she just does Maine Coons but I could be wrong.  A lot of breeders do a couple of breeds.  I will PM you the information... Worse comes to worse, she can probably help you find a breeder for the type of cat you wish for if not a Maine Coon or breed she does. 

shred

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'll talk to my friend Ann in the UK and ask her for her breeders information.  I think she just does Maine Coons but I could be wrong.  A lot of breeders do a couple of breeds.  I will PM you the information... Worse comes to worse, she can probably help you find a breeder for the type of cat you wish for if not a Maine Coon or breed she does. 

Thats very kind of you, very much appreciated, I presume this is largely an American site?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
 I presume this is largely an American site?

Yes, it could be said so. Most forumists are from USA.  Although we do our best to be international, many forumists are from a lot other countries. Quite many of active experts are non american, not least on this here forum Breeding.. Several of advisors and mods are non americans.  Also a couple of staff living in US does have fresh roots from other countries.

So this forum is international in the words best meaning, although it does have some US domination.  :)

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Manchester has plenty of rescues:

http://www.catchat.org/adoption/lancs.html

I used to be friends with one of the women working for the Preston Cats Protection.  Have lost touch with her, but they might be prepared to rehome to you.

For Bombays, you want Asian breeders - not all of them belong to this cat club but it's a starting place:

http://www.asiangroupcatsociety.co.uk/

There is a semi-longhair version, the Tiffanie.

However one Asian on it's own is likely to troublesome.  They are usually intelligent, active and athletic, and almost as easily bored as Orientals and Siamese. 

I was very taken when I saw a Bombay for the first time, but then I saw a Havana - Chocolate Oriental in the US, *not* a Havana Brown - and that was that.

You might also find visiting a cat show interesting.  These days the cat's breed and colour is on the pen number labels which helps a lot.  However, most pedigree breeders want indoor only homes, or homes with a cat-proof garden.  The breeds are always in the same order at a show - longhair (Persians & Exotics), Semi-Longhair (includes Maine Coons and Norway Forest Cats), British Shorthair (includes Selkirk Rex), Foreigns (includes Asians, Cornish & Devon Rexes and Bengals), Burmese, Orientals and Siamese.  Within each section there are the adults, followed by kittens, followed by neuters.  The adult sections are often rather wiffy as many of the entire males think their pee is the most wonderful perfume and like to share it round!

The final section is household pets - both pedigrees and non-pedigrees can be shown here.  The pedigrees might be rescues that look just like a pedigree, or cats known to have one or more pedigree parents.  Some are fully registered pedigrees but they don't meet the breed standard sufficiently - for example Orientals should have green eyes, but my boy has yellow-orange eyes despite being otherwise quite a good cat.

http://www.gccfcats.org/showsnew.html

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I PM'd you the information.  There are 2 PM's sorry about that.  But, hopefully she can help you find a breeder or a rescue that will have something you are looking for!

shred

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, it could be said so. Most forumists are from USA.  Although we do our best to be international, many forumists are from a lot other countries. Quite many of active experts are non american, not least on this here forum Breeding.. Several of advisors and mods are non americans.  Also a couple of staff living in US does have fresh roots from other countries.

So this forum is international in the words best meaning, although it does have some US domination.  :)
Many thanks

shred

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Theres lot of information and good links for us there, you guys are a great help, we`ll start going through all this informastion tommorrow and let you know how we get on, We really do appreciate the emails and all your posts and help, thank you very much

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
 I presume this is largely an American site?

Yes, the majority of members are in the U.S. However, you should know that the site owner is not American.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Within each section there are the adults, followed by kittens, followed by neuters.  The adult sections are often rather wiffy as many of the entire males think their pee is the most wonderful perfume and like to share it round!
If all the fertiles are packed in together in a small area, its no wonder they try to mark revire.

I myself had not felt any much peculiar smell, but it may be in Sweden they are more scattered between the breed. So fertile males do have usually someone between them.  And thus - they arent marking as vigorously.

But for you Shred this will be the reality when you visit a typical british Show, it is not so probable you will visit a typical Swedish show, nor a show by the European big organisation Fife.

But yes, it is a fantastic to see and be there. A lot of cats of all sort, a lot of cat friendly folks, most of them people friendly too, and eager to answer questions about their cats and breed, and so on...

Yes, go there, look and see!   :)

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The other thing cat shows in the UK have are stalls selling all sorts of cat-related goods, from litter to jewellry.  I have some lovely cat nests I brought at shows, and also some large bits of fleece I use on my bed.  The big all-breed shows are probably the best to visit for the first time rather than a breed show.

I should add that you can't see the cats before 1pm as that lets the judges get most of the judging over and done with.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The other thing cat shows in the UK have are stalls selling all sorts of cat-related goods, from litter to jewellry.  I have some lovely cat nests I brought at shows, and also some large bits of fleece I use on my bed.  The big all-breed shows are probably the best to visit for the first time rather than a breed show.

I should add that you can't see the cats before 1pm as that lets the judges get most of the judging over and done with.
Another diff against Swedish shows. Our Fife shows open when all cats had arrived and are installed, simultaneously as the judgements shall begin. Thus, you can always see the judgement, the judges works in public - some judges does make small shows of it, clearly showing and telling the public including owners, all the pros and contras, others are mostly mumbling queitly to their secretary...   :)

But we do also have stalls selling cat related products.   :)