American short haired Bombay, (apparently)

shred

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I`m interested in locating any breeders in the UK, many thanks in advance

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
American Shorthair and Bombay are two different breeds.  There are breeders producing Bombays (and many, many other colours of Asians) in the UK, but I've never come across an American Shorthair breeder - plenty of British shorthair breeders though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shred

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the information, no one would ever accuse us of being cat experts, this was what we were told he was, I guess we`ll just have to keep looking until we find one that looks like him.  We bought him as just a black kitten we had no idea he was going to grow so big.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thanks for the information, no one would ever accuse us of being cat experts, this was what we were told he was, I guess we`ll just have to keep looking until we find one that looks like him.  We bought him as just a black kitten we had no idea he was going to grow so big.
[edit: this post is somewhat redundand now,  sorry I wrote it so]

What is the purpose of this maneuvres? You have a black kitty, possibly a somewhat look alike a bombay, right?

So why do you ask after british bombay breeders?

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some kitties are just big :). If you don't have papers for him, he's a domestic shorthair. Why do you ask about breeders? Are you looking to breed him? A purebred breeder won't breed to an unregistered cat of unknown background, plus if you don't neuter him he will eventually become very difficult to live with. Pets should be neutered. He sounds like a handsome boy, any pics?

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No everyone, they are not wanting to breed a cat but they are wanting to find a breeder to possibly get a kitten from...(he lost his last cat to Rainbow Bridge and that is what they are told it was) It explains in the introduction board.  Forgive everyone, they put their guards up because a lot of people want to go into breeding and have really no idea what they are doing or getting themselves into.... Anyway, American Shorthairs and Bombays are 2 different breeds.  Perhaps now that it has been cleared up, someone might know of a breeder to put you in contact with!  Best of luck!! 

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah, well, that's good (well, not good that you lost him :(). I sometimes question getting a cat that looks too much like a previous cat; sometimes people get disappointed when their personality isn't as similar as their appearance.

Bombays and American Shorthairs (and British Shorthairs) are separate breeds. They also aren't usually huge, though some males can be pretty big. If you're really set on getting a huge black male cat, your best bet would be to find one from a shelter. That way you know for sure what you're getting! And it's a good tribute to a deceased beloved pet to save another cat's life.

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also would advise against getting a cat that reminds you of your passed kitty in looks.  If the personalities didn't match or somehow the new kitty didn't measure up in some way, it would be a disappointment to you.  Plus the constant comparisons, the new kitty would always fall short... That is not fair to the new kitty.  If you want a purebred, and a larger breed, have you considered a Maine Coon?  They are wonderful cats with a wonderfully charming disposition and tend to be on the larger side.  I know there are several breeders in the UK as I have a couple of friends who have gotten Maine Coons from such breeders.  I don't know where you are located but I could try to find out some contact information if you are interested in checking it out?

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bombays are essentially black Burmese, they aren't big cats.

I would advise you to decide what sort of personality you're after, rather than just wanting a Bombay (or whatever breed) because it looks like a past cat.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
. If you're really set on getting a huge black male cat, your best bet would be to find one from a shelter. That way you know for sure what you're getting! And it's a good tribute to a deceased beloved pet to save another cat's life.
Yes, so is also my belief and thinking.  "You couldnt save your beloved, but you CAN save another, in the  name of the deceased"....

Especially so as blackies are more difficult to get adoptions.  Read, lotsa of them gets pts, not because they are sick, but because they are black.

And not so few of them does look alikes Bombays...

But if you DO really want to have a pedigree Bombay this time, so....  Read on about them before buying. :)

Here is at least a link to a pedigree rescue organization in UK.  You find Bombay among the Burmese/Asian group.

http://www.catchat.org/adoption/pedigree.html

I hope someone comes up with a real breeders list, (we do have breeders from UK here, for them it should be peanuts).  Otherwise I will seek out such a list,

Im sorry Shred, for your loss. I understand now quite well why you do ask.

Good luck!     *vibes*

Last edited:

shred

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Bombays are essentially black Burmese, they aren't big cats.

I would advise you to decide what sort of personality you're after, rather than just wanting a Bombay (or whatever breed) because it looks like a past cat.
Many thanks, in that case I wouldnt have a clue what he was, we are just going off what the vet told us? and we are just looking for a replacement.  He was a very large black cat with bronze/gold eyes we told told he was a, American Bombay?  Thanks for the information though.

shred

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Some kitties are just big
. If you don't have papers for him, he's a domestic shorthair. Why do you ask about breeders? Are you looking to breed him? A purebred breeder won't breed to an unregistered cat of unknown background, plus if you don't neuter him he will eventually become very difficult to live with. Pets should be neutered. He sounds like a handsome boy, any pics?
thanks for the information, we were directed to post in the breeders section on joining the site, he was neutered, but sadly passed away last year you see, so we are looking to replace him, he was certainly a good looking cat, and with a lovely personality, very laid back, I`ll try to post a few pictures of him, thanks and we`ll check out domestic short haired.

shred

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What is the purpose of this maneuvres? You have a black kitty, possibly a somewhat look alike a bombay, right?

So why do you ask after british bombay breeders?
Apologies, I`m a little confused by your post, please refer to my original posts, thanks

shred

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No everyone, they are not wanting to breed a cat but they are wanting to find a breeder to possibly get a kitten from...(he lost his last cat to Rainbow Bridge and that is what they are told it was) It explains in the introduction board.  Forgive everyone, they put their guards up because a lot of people want to go into breeding and have really no idea what they are doing or getting themselves into.... Anyway, American Shorthairs and Bombays are 2 different breeds.  Perhaps now that it has been cleared up, someone might know of a breeder to put you in contact with!  Best of luck!! 
Ah I see, and rightly so of course, thanks for that, I was a little confused by some of the earlier posts

shred

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I also would advise against getting a cat that reminds you of your passed kitty in looks.  If the personalities didn't match or somehow the new kitty didn't measure up in some way, it would be a disappointment to you.  Plus the constant comparisons, the new kitty would always fall short... That is not fair to the new kitty.  If you want a purebred, and a larger breed, have you considered a Maine Coon?  They are wonderful cats with a wonderfully charming disposition and tend to be on the larger side.  I know there are several breeders in the UK as I have a couple of friends who have gotten Maine Coons from such breeders.  I don't know where you are located but I could try to find out some contact information if you are interested in checking it out?
We have had a Maine Coon in the past, Polly, a lovely cat, we lost her a number of years ago and have indeed also been looking at one of these.  Cats of of course individuals with individual personalities regardless of breed type, so no problem there but thanks for the advice though much appreciated.  Our first choice however would be a large black cat.

shred

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Many thanks for the link and your post, most encouraging and appreciated.  Yes we miss him dearly, he was our baby, especially since our children have now have now grown up and left home. Merlin was a very gentle cat, often bringing frogs in from the garden pond and dropping them unhurt in front of the telivision for us to take back to the pond, he would also sit under the bird table while the birds dropped bread on his head, it was quite funny to watch really.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had two pedigree Asians (Burmese in all but name) and they were wonderful cats, but very easily bored.  Personally I'd suggest something calmer, or going to the rescue - my friend who runs a Cats Protection says that blacks are often very hard to rehome.

One of my first two cats was black, and a wonderful character, and it was years after I lost him before I could bear having another black cat.  I got two Orientals, and about the only thing they have in common with him is being black and that suits me just fine.  I lost my Havana boy a few years ago, hopefully this year I'm getting another Havana, and hopefully he or she will have a different personality to Errol.

redvelvetone

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i am very sorry to hear about the loss of your Merlin. He sounded great (I love the story about the frogs). I also lost my beloved cat (that I had for 15 years) this past November. I ended up adopting a rescue cat (small long-haired black kitten that is quickly turning into a big black cat) within a couple of weeks after my Harley passed (he was a light red / or cream and white tabby). I didn't want to get another pet that looked too much like him so we deliberately did not want to see any other red or cream tabbies because they reminded me too much of him. I will say having rescued a cat REALLY helped me with my grief for Harley. The new cat was not a replacement in any way shape or form, but just helped me to think of Harley positively (instead of focusing on his last few bad days) and the idea that I saved a cat from a bad life was something that felt good to me. (it was also serendipitous that this kitten was rescued by the cat rescue group the day after my Harley died, so I felt that it was kind of meant to be). My new kitten, Magnus, is a real sweetie, but personality wise is very different from Harley, which is OK..

I hope you will find that adopting a new kitten  helps you with your grief as well. And yes, I did hear black cats are harder to adopt, which I find strange. I always really liked, in terms of looks, solid color cats like white cats and black cats or blue cats. Black cats, in particular, are usually very striking looking. Good luck with whatever type of cat you end up adopting and please introduce your new fella here when you get bring him home :)

shred

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Many thanks for all your replies, lots of good information and ideas there, we have been looking at cats in the shelters, but nothing has clicked yet, but we`ll keep trying though, many thanks again.  We couldnt of course replace Merlin, he was a one off, I suppose we`ll find a cat that gels with us in time and I must admit I do like the idea of giving a cat that has had a poor start in life, a good home.

shred

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Heres a piece my partner has put together and asked me to post, 

Merlin, Just a big black cat, but not to me

Merlin never hurt a living thing; he gave comfort to all that were in need, both animal and human. Merlin had he been a human, would have been a philosopher, he touched the hearts of everyone who met him.  I have had a lot of loss in the family recently and Merlin has been to me like the loss of a child, child as he was to me.  I am still going through the grieving wheel, you ca not replace a cat nor a human in your life once they have gone, they are individuals, and very special.  I like the idea of looking at cat shelters as I know this is what Merlin would have wanted, I trust him to guide us to the right cat or kitten, which needs the love and care we can give.  Merlin will be forever missed, what a joy and strength he was to a lot of people, just when they needed it, beautiful both inside and out, a gentle giant. We use to take Merlin to visit the local cat shelter, to befriend and cheer up cats and play with the kittens and meet people.  He was like a celebrity and everyone knew him.  Merlin left a lot of broken hearts with his passing.  I could write a book about Merlin, yes I might just do that.  The proceeds of which could go to a cat shelter, to help make some sense of losing Merlin.  I have had a lot of animals come i8nto and out of my life, but as everybody else says, Merlin was a one off.  Thank you for all your advice and help.

Merlin’s mummy