American Idol - the final seven

kookycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if any of you are following Am. Idol -- but I guess I am because of Lazaro Abros - who lives right here in Naples. He got thru again last night and I was so happy for him. He's the 21 year old ice cream scooper who speaks with a prounounced stutter, but not when he sings. He may not be the most talented, but he is so sweet and adorable and tries so hard. While I don't think he'll be the big winner, I'm just hoping to see him go as far as he can and get a record deal out of this, so he no longer has to work in an ice cream parlor. Among the finalists, I think the girls are just great. I think my favorite is Candice - she has such great showmanship.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kookycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agee about Nikki. She's thoroughly obnoxious and I hope they drop her next season. I don't know anybody who likes her on t his show.

bluebird gal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Agree that Nikki is a boor .. but honestly there is not one of the guys that really stands a chance against any of those 3 young ladies - especially Amber at this point.  :)     We still prefer The Voice nowdays.  Shame AI got all split up judge-wise like it did.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been watching Idol on and off, mostly just the results show.  I was so happy to see Lazaro go off last night, he was really terrible.  Every guy on there was better than him.  People just felt sorry for him but I  just thought he couldn't carry a tune at all. 

Now the  judges will get what they want finally, a female winner. 

kookycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just loved Lazaro. While I know he wasn't the best singer, there was just "something" about him. Look at the popular singers now and some of them aren't half as good as he is. Just isn't fair.

But I love Candice and think she has a wonderful career ahead of her.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a singing competition and if he can't sing, he should not be there.  He overstayed his welcome. What popular singer is not as good as Lazaro, I can't figure that one out.  He was mostly voted out of pity and sympathy, that's what I had read and I believe that. 

kookycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry - just don't agree. Lazaro has "charm" which goes a long way. I think he has a good voice, but some of his song choices weren't good. I like him a lot better than Burnell, who was voted off last week. Charm and personality go a long way in putting over a song. Judges weren't always nice to him, and there's no forgiving in that. No reason to hurt a person's feelings. Maybe I'm slightly partial because he comes from right here in Naples, and we always cheer on the home town boy. I'm looking forward to visiting to ice cream parlor where he worked before going on Idol. I still think some recording co will pick him up and he'll have a good career. He deserves it!

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He was Ricky Ricardo and that's exactly what I thought too.  Every song he sang had a Cuban accent tho I don't know what he was, he was terrible and I'm so glad he is gone.  He will never get a recording contract Lana,  not even in FL.  You're also just having pity for him and that does not a singer make.  He will be working in an ice cream parlor for a very long time...he has no talent. Maybe he will sing while scooping ice cream, lol.  Glad I won't have to hear him try to sing again. 

Last edited:

kookycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Carol, sorry I don't agree. Honestly, your thoughts sound kind of mean to me. Everyone deserves a CHANCE - and I truly believe he'll do well and get a lot of recognition. Oh by the way, he is Cuban and came to the US with his family at the age of 10 - he's 21 now, so I think he's done pretty well in learning the language. Lots of Cuban accents here in Florida! We're a melting pot down here.

Last edited:

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can call me mean and sometimes mean means honest.  I am being very honest when I say you will never hear from this kid again.  He is that bad.

kookycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Guess everyone has their own opinion. We shall see! But I predict we'll hear a lot more about Lazaro!!!!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I do think it was way past Lazaro's time to leave, but I also think you are exaggerating a bit. Some of his earlier performances were good. He seems as if he falls apart a bit under pressure and it takes him longer to learn the words to songs. He really hasn't done well the past few weeks.

I don't see where that he sounded "Cuban" was necessarily a bad thing. The Latin market is huge. It's a genre just like Country music is. :dk:

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do think it was way past Lazaro's time to leave, but I also think you are exaggerating a bit. Some of his earlier performances were good. He seems as if he falls apart a bit under pressure and it takes him longer to learn the words to songs. He really hasn't done well the past few weeks.

I don't see where that he sounded "Cuban" was necessarily a bad thing. The Latin market is huge. It's a genre just like Country music is.
I didn't mean sounding like a Cuban was a bad thing, just not a good thing when you are singing American songs.  He may be better if he went back to Cuba and tried a career there. 

magmitts

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In light of the extremely talented girls left on Idol - Candice and Kree especially, not to mention Angie's talent with songwriting, piano, and voice - this year's Idol winner will undoubtedly be Candice (my vote) or Kree.  As for Lazaro, I too felt his extreme kind heartedness and sincerity and I admired his courage, and although he sang a few songs rather well, he had too many belly flops towards the end which did him in.  I sincerely hope he has grown from his Idol experience and is able to do what he loves most - sing and entertain - at any level, but he should be gaining an education in a field other than music and food service to realize his American dream.  I wish Lazaro and all the contestants good luck in realizing their dreams.  Vote for Candice!  As for Nikki, she's high on herself, I love Keith, and although Mariah is very sweet she is too long winded and 4 judges saying the same thing over and over is boring.  I tuned into The Voice this season and I am enjoying it immensely.  The whole chair thing turned me off at first, nor did I care for the past years' judges - Christine A. and the Celo dude - but this year all the judges/coaches are fun and kind.  There is lots of suspense in The Voice during the "blind auditions" (when the chairs are turned away from the contestants and the judges select on "voice" alone).  I'm eager to see how the next phase goes starting this week when the coaches begin working with their team of contestants that they acquired during the blind auditions.  Note: There are always words to find to be honest and convey messages to others without being unkind or hurtful. 

kookycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
.  Note: There are always words to find to be honest and convey messages to others without being unkind or hurtful. 
[/quote]

Perfect thought. I agree that Lazaro wasn't the best - Candice is best of all of them -- but there was just something about him that makes people like him. Since he lives here in Naples, the paper today had a big article about how he is working with the national stuttering foundation (or something that sounds like that) and that he has been such an inspiration to the people there. A lot of money is being raised in his behalf to help people with this problem. Sounds like he is trying to make his appearance on AI count for something good and useful to a lot of people.

Thanks for y our kind words. I have just taken such a liking to this brave young man and want to see nothing but the best for him.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do not think Lazaro was getting "pity" votes.  What was there to pity?  I liked him, but I'm not sorry he's gone, because he was this season's whipping boy with the fans and he didn't deserve it. What did he do that was so wrong except go out every week and try his best? Which better singers left before him? None of the guys were much good this season (deliberately). This has been the most boring season in Idol history.  Two hours are too long, four judges (who all talk to much) are too many, and the talent level didn't equal the last couple seasons (there's no diversity).  The deck was stacked for an R&B girl, and since I don't like R&B with all the runs and vocal gynmastics, I don't give a flip who wins.  I do like Janelle, but she doesn't have a snowball's chance.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I  I tuned into The Voice this season and I am enjoying it immensely.  The whole chair thing turned me off at first, nor did I care for the past years' judges - Christine A. and the Celo dude - but this year all the judges/coaches are fun and kind.  There is lots of suspense in The Voice during the "blind auditions" (when the chairs are turned away from the contestants and the judges select on "voice" alone).  I'm eager to see how the next phase goes starting this week when the coaches begin working with their team of contestants that they acquired during the blind auditions.  Note: There are always words to find to be honest and convey messages to others without being unkind or hurtful. 
I have been watching The Voice since it started and I love that show, lots better than Idol.  I love the 'blind auditions" and next week the 'battle rounds' will begin.  There are a lot of different things going on and it's very interesting and entertaining.  So far Team Blake has won two years and Team Adam has won once. 

As far as judges being kind, not all of them are and of course the best one of all is Simon Cowell.  Idol has gone down hill ever since he left. 

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do not think Lazaro was getting "pity" votes.  What was there to pity?  I liked him, but I'm not sorry he's gone, because he was this season's whipping boy with the fans and he didn't deserve it. What did he do that was so wrong except go out every week and try his best? Which better singers left before him? None of the guys were much good this season (deliberately). This has been the most boring season in Idol history.  Two hours are too long, four judges (who all talk to much) are too many, and the talent level didn't equal the last couple seasons (there's no diversity).  The deck was stacked for an R&B girl, and since I don't like R&B with all the runs and vocal gynmastics, I don't give a flip who wins.  I do like Janelle, but she doesn't have a snowball's chance.
Yes you're right, Idol stinks and I only watch the results show just to see who goes off.  I don't watch the two hour shows because your're right, they are very boring and so are the  judges.  I don't care who wins either but I am curious who will get the most votes and win it all.

bluebird gal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We thought the audition show that Kree came from, that we had personally found our winner.  It was pretty obvious early on that the ladies were the real powerhouses this year.   And as much as I could do without Nikkie - tonight her comments about Kree were right on "I see you as multi-national famous" 
Yes you're right, Idol stinks and I only watch the results show just to see who goes off.  I don't watch the two hour shows because your're right, they are very boring and so are the  judges.  I don't care who wins either but I am curious who will get the most votes and win it all.