American Idol - ***Spoilers inside***

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Overall, I think everyone did pretty good. I don't like Matt or umm Ricky? can't remember if that's his name, lol. I don't think Jasmine did well either.

I still
Adam!

ETA: Ok his name is Kris. Shows how much he impressed me!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Originally Posted by clixpix

I'm the opposite, I don't like Randy. He annoys me no end. He's terrible with the "banter", and when he gives his critique, he pulls out one of his "catch phrases". I'd take Kara over him any day. Paula's there for, oh I don't know, comic relief?
I think Kara, more than any of the others, really understands singing.
"Yo yo yo dawg. You really worked it out tonight."
I don't mind Kara. I think she gives them a decent critique. Paula is just out there. It's like a game to see how much Paula has had to drink each night. Last night she also looked like she over botoxed or got a bad facelift. As rude as Simon can be, his criticism is usually right.

Most of them weren't that bad last night. I hated Megan's performance. Hated it! What was that mess? She looked like she was doing the chicken dance and even made bird noises at the end.
I was bored by Scott's performance.

I thought the judges were overly harsh on a few of them, including Jorge (sp).

I didn't realize that Michael Sarver could sing that well.

Adam was still over the top, but less so than normal. If this were Broadway Idol, he would win hands down.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Number one problem is, you don't mess around with Michael Jackson songs. They should never had these people even try to sing his songs. Most of them picked the wrong songs, Anoop really messed up with Beat It and I like him. I thought Danny did well and Lil was fantastic, great voice. Oh well two will be history tonight and I'm curious to find out what new thingy they are going to do as Simon mentioned last night.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LaRussa

Number one problem is, you don't mess around with Michael Jackson songs. They should never had these people even try to sing his songs. Most of them picked the wrong songs, Anoop really messed up with Beat It and I like him. I thought Danny did well and Lil was fantastic, great voice. Oh well two will be history tonight and I'm curious to find out what new thingy they are going to do as Simon mentioned last night.
They always come down on people in auditions for doing a Michael Jackson song, Whitney Houston, etc. telling them they just shouldn't take them on, then they go and make it a freakin theme! I just don't get it.

re: Megan - I really like her voice, but that song was just lame and I hate her little dances. She's one I could listen to on the radio, as long as I didn't have to see her

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They always come down on people in auditions for doing a Michael Jackson song, Whitney Houston, etc. telling them they just shouldn't take them on, then they go and make it a freakin theme! I just don't get it.
I think the problem is that the singers are trying too hard to imitate the original artist and, while I don't care for Michael Jackson or Whitney Houston, their songs are just too recognizable to imitate. The difference comes when the contestant takes a recognizable song and makes it their own; someone earlier mentioned David Cook's take on "Billie Jean" last season. It was fresh, it was original, and it was awesome. (the same goes for his version of "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" ; I remember getting goosebumps when he sang that)

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone think Adam resembles a young Elvis? I think he could play him in a movie for sure, I would love to hear him sing an Elvis song. And this is coming from a HUGE Elvis fan

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bella713

Does anyone think Adam resembles a young Elvis? I think he could play him in a movie for sure, I would love to hear him sing an Elvis song. And this is coming from a HUGE Elvis fan
Yes I see the resemblance to Elvis also, what's with the nail polish

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AlleyGirl

re: Megan - I really like her voice, but that song was just lame and I hate her little dances. She's one I could listen to on the radio, as long as I didn't have to see her
I guess that is the only way to see if these singers can make a song their own as someone else mentioned. Hey no everybody is as good as David Cook, I really wanted him to win so much last year...I was very happy.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was surprised Megan didn't go home! However, the two that did go, needed to go.

The whole judge's save thing is a great idea. I wonder if they will even use it this season?

My top 5:

Adam
Alexis
Danny
Allison

hmmm ok I only have a top 4. I don't like anyone else enough to include them

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also think Megan should have been gone and Jorge was the right choice to go, I think Anoop is better. I am sure the judges will save their saving till late in the competition when someone really good needs to be saved, it's just too early yet to save anybody I think. Having said that if Lil was voted off, they just may have saved her.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Anoop really needs to step it up and quickly. i was a big fan to start with but my dedication is wavering
I honestly think Jasmine was a very good singer, she could have used a bit more experience, but she wouldn't have won so I was ok with her leaving. I feel bad for Jorje
but he wouldn't have won either

I've said it before, but if Megan does not stop dancing her weird little dance I'm going to scream

I wasn't a realyl big fan of Danny to begin with, but he's growing on me. I also really like Alexis Grace. I'm still waiting to be impressed by Lil and I'm beginning to think Kara was right during Hollywood week, Adam is a little to musical theater. They said Alexis over-sang her song, and well, IMO Adam totally did. I like him, he just needs to stop the shrieking!

lilyluvscats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

"Yo yo yo dawg. You really worked it out tonight."
I don't mind Kara. I think she gives them a decent critique. Paula is just out there. It's like a game to see how much Paula has had to drink each night. Last night she also looked like she over botoxed or got a bad facelift. As rude as Simon can be, his criticism is usually right.

Most of them weren't that bad last night. I hated Megan's performance. Hated it! What was that mess? She looked like she was doing the chicken dance and even made bird noises at the end.
I was bored by Scott's performance.

I thought the judges were overly harsh on a few of them, including Jorge (sp).

I didn't realize that Michael Sarver could sing that well.

Adam was still over the top, but less so than normal. If this were Broadway Idol, he would win hands down.
This post made me LOL . So true about Paula. She looked really weird that night and was more incoherent than normal. Rumor has it she is not a drinker though but is on many pain meds, Same difference I guess.

I like Adam Alison Megan & Danny. and I agree David Cook was great last season. His Billie Jean was soooooo good.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
They all performed much better than I expected given the theme.

My bottom three are Scott, Michael and Megan.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wasn't too crazy about their performances either last night. I thought Scott was pretty bad last night but I don't know who will be voted off tonight, so many were bad.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
ok, I liked Adam Lambert but really hadn't been blow away by him...until last night!!
Holy crow that was an amazing performance!
it was sang so perfectly that it didn't even seem like it was live! I think my eyes popped out of my head when he was singing
good gravy that was awesome! in case you were wondering, I really liked it

Anoop is baaaaaack!!
He sang wonderfully last night! plus, he's pretty cute

I am seriously going to gouge my eyes out if I have to watch Megan do her twisty thing anymore
I thought she looked absolutely gorgeous, but I did not like her performance

The judges were right, Scott sounds the same every week

I didn't think Lil did as bad as the judges were saying

I thought Matt G's performance was kinda boring

I think Danny Gokey majorly dropped the ball last night

How many times did Alexis say Jolene last night? It might have been a better performance is she sang more of the lyrics

Kris Allen sang great, but he is so...to borrow one of Simon's fave lines: forgettable

Michael Sarver did ok, that was just a fun song, but I didn't understand very many words either

and I'm forgetting someone
oh! Alison, I thought she did really good, she always picks such perfect songs for her

I also have to say that the judges need to make up their minds- one minute they are tellnig Lil to take a country song and make it R&B and then Adam comes out and does his thing to a country song and they crucify him for it!
What the heck do they want??!!

yam102284

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I loved Adam last night! I thought that version was great! And Alison too! She sings just about anything good!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought Adam's version of the Johnny Cash's classic was just to weird! Did he spend some time in some music shops in Haight Ashbury??

But I agree about Megan twisty moves-drives me nuts! She looked pretty though.

I'm not sure who is going home though.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

ok, I liked Adam Lambert but really hadn't been blow away by him...until last night!!
Holy crow that was an amazing performance!
it was sang so perfectly that it didn't even seem like it was live! I think my eyes popped out of my head when he was singing
good gravy that was awesome! in case you were wondering, I really liked it

Anoop is baaaaaack!!
He sang wonderfully last night! plus, he's pretty cute

I am seriously going to gouge my eyes out if I have to watch Megan do her twisty thing anymore
I thought she looked absolutely gorgeous, but I did not like her performance

The judges were right, Scott sounds the same every week

I didn't think Lil did as bad as the judges were saying

I thought Matt G's performance was kinda boring

I think Danny Gokey majorly dropped the ball last night

How many times did Alexis say Jolene last night? It might have been a better performance is she sang more of the lyrics

Kris Allen sang great, but he is so...to borrow one of Simon's fave lines: forgettable

Michael Sarver did ok, that was just a fun song, but I didn't understand very many words either

and I'm forgetting someone
oh! Alison, I thought she did really good, she always picks such perfect songs for her
that pretty much sums up my opinions on them all but I do want to add that I can't stand Matt! and Anoop bores me. Other than that, I agree.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I tried to start watching last night. Really, I did.

I watched the first guy sing - Michael, I think it was. OMG he was AWFUL!
Seriously massacred that song! Then the judges commented, and basically said he wasn't bad. HUH? He was horribly pitchy, IMO. Maybe it's because I actually know the song?

Then they went to one of the hundred of commercial breaks, so I switched to an old episode of House. I switched back and forth probably 10-15 times. I never saw another person actually singing.

Oh wait, yeah I did. The chick with pink hair. She wasn't bad.

They seriously need to fix the mix, though. It's bad. Makes the contestants sound so much worse than they are because there's no background music. I guess that's what I get for being married to a radio show producer.
But actually, I've always had that "ear" for picking out when the production sucks, and it does...badly.

OK, so 2 singers in all those times. I saw lots of the judges. Who I didn't want to see. The audience needs to shut up too. They do not need to BOO loudly every time a judge says anything besides "That was the best performance I've ever seen!"

Maybe it wasn't a good night for me. I was highly irritated by the whole thing. I think I'll start watching once they get down to 1 hour, when they actually have to move the whole JUDGING thing along and cut a whole bunch of commercial breaks.