American Bombay?

kenzie riann

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Back in July, we brought him a little 2 month old kitten, promptly followed our animal name theme and gave him a comic book name. 

Lt. Col. James Rupert Rhodes (teehee) a.k.a Rhodey for short.  I was THRILLED because I always wanted a black cat. 

Anyways, is he an American Bombay?  I don't know anything about his parents, just that all of his siblings were also all black.

There are like, 5 white hairs on his chest, and some white hairs on the inside of his ears.  Other than that, he is solid black.

Also, he's 8 months old now.  He's gotten big...

Here's a few pictures:

He was about 4 months old in this picture.  He's laying on our 30lb dog, Grayson.

And here's a video.  He's a very vocal and outspoken little man.

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 Well , he sure has got the "copper penny" eye color worthy of a Bombay!     He is a stunning young fellow.

I would say  not in fact a pedigree Bombay,  but he looks much more like one than most of the many black cats that people imagine to be Bombays.   With this cat,   I can totally see why you would think of that.

The head looks a little different.  OK,  not extremely different from the "traditional" American Bombay,    but looks like he may have a bit more of a muzzle.    I am not seeing him from a profile or 3/4 angle  ( and the video won't play - it says it's private) . 

& the eyes look smaller compared to the head size than what I have usually seen in a Bombay.

& if he is getting really big already at 8 months,  that may mean he's turning out bigger than a Bombay would usually be.

And it has to be said, Bombays are pretty rare cats.     It would be wildly unlikely to get a Bombay kitten without knowing it   since normally people would be selling the kittens for  $600 or more.  and who would pay that without knowing what they're buying?     As  another  of our members here has often said,  it's not looks alone that makes a cat a breed; it's also proof of ancestry.  

You could call him a Bombay lookalike.   And his eye color is so intense that I could actually believe he may be part Bombay or Burmese.

Oh,  and welcome to TCS!   I hope you'll stay around and we will get to see and hear more about this guy.   You take lovely photos, too! 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kenzie riann

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oops, sorry!  Video is public now.

Yeah, I figured he probably isn't 100% Bombay, if any at all.  A lot of his characteristics seem to match what I've read about Bombay's so far, and as you stated, those intense eyes. 

I also noticed the head shape, as well.  Ah well.  Wether he's bombay or not, he's my little panther. 

And I'll definitely stick around!  He is a character, that's for sure.

Last edited:

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yeah,  I would say he definitely fits into the mini panther idea that the originator of the Bombay had in mind.   He's just gorgeous!   

Thanks for making the video public.   Looks like he carries on conversations like my cats!  (especially my Sammy) 

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  Thanks for the additional pics.    I still see the same things I was thinking were different. 

I bet he looks a lot like some of the first Bombays that were  more evenly split between Burmese and American Shorthair ancestry. 

Such a handsome cat!