Amazon Fire Stick For Tv

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey all, Cyber Monday is coming up. Amazon, for Black Friday, has their Fire Stick for $25.
They are 'suggesting' there may be a better deal on Monday.

I was thinking about getting it.. I am an Amazon Prime member. Yes, I did splurge and get the Echo for my Christmas gift to myself. It was $79.. My friend who has one, and paid $150 for it, absolutely loves it ~~~ in fact she took advantage of the discount of the 'Dot" at $30, to give as gifts to her family and friends. Dot is a small version of Echo (Alexia), but it really needs an additional speaker to produce good sound.

I bought the Echo, because I love to listen to music. I miss Pandora and Tune-in Radio.. I have a ton of stations, and even radio stations that come in very 'tinny' on my old iPhone. Also, I never buy anything for myself..

Hijacked my own thread!! OMGosh!! :hijack:

As far as the Fire Stick: I have an older model Smart TV, Samsung, about 7 years old.
I am thinking of using the Fire Stick and my Amazon Prime membership, and possibly cutting back on some cable channels.

Questions:
1) is it easy to set up... I used to be much more knowledgable about these things, but technology has passed me by, the past several years.

2) is it worth it?

I do record a lot of programs on the DVR, from Comcast. I watch a lot of them this time of the year, and when there are reruns, especially during the summer.

I do not want to pay any extra money to Comcast!! Enough is Enough.. tired of them..keeping it for internet service and basic cable, plus a bit of other stations.,

Just wondering, because at $20++ ; it seems like a bargain...and if it decreases on Monday, well that will be even better...

I know Winchester Winchester had a lot of good things to say about it, last year... Yes, I have been thinking about it since then.... I am not a fast mover on some things.. others, I am very impulsive....

but I have really not purchased anything for myself this year...and sometimes it is good to keep current with technology...

sigh... I sound so crazed... just put me in the poor house...as long as Artie is ok, then that is ok with me....:petcat: :gaah: :runaround:

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
I have one of these and I am happy with it. There is no set-up. Just plug it into an HDMI connection on your TV, then use your remote to move around. Unless you tell them not to, Amazon will link it to your Prime account when you buy it. You are ready to go.

If you have a Samsung smart TV, it should already have an Amazon Prime app. At least mine does. You may be able to save yourself some money there, though you will have to link it to your Amazon account - not hard to do. The Firestick does have more useful apps than the Smart TV. WatchESPN is not available on the Smart TV, but sports may not be important to you.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I have the Fire Stick and have been pleased with it so far. Set up was very easy. BUT you do have to allow your WiFi to go through it....or at least I did when I bought mine; I had to allow my router to accept the Stick and then plug my router password into the Stick. I like it. I only use it for watching the older TV shows and some newer movies. In fact, I think that last New Years Eve, when Rick and I were watching movies, we went through the Stick and not the cable company.

I was a little irate last year when I was watching Outlander. I figured that I could watch it through Prime and save a bit of money. (I got STARZ through our cable channel at $13.95 a month). I didn't realize that I was paying $4.99 per episode through Prime! Then the charges started showing up on our statement and Rick asked, "Dear, what the heck are you watching that's costing $4.99 per episode? That's pretty expensive!" I had no idea until it hit me that it was Outlander. I immediately cancelled it through Prime and picked it up through the cable company. (This year the cable company had a STARZ special....buy six months, get it for half-price and get $25 back at the end of the six-month period. It was only good for STARZ and I have a feeling it was because of Outlander. When I call to have STARZ included on our cable, the woman always says to me, "Well, it is time for Outlander to start the new season!" She said they can always tell when it's time for Outlander because of all the people who call to get STARZ included on their cable. Sorry for the thread hijack. :blush:)

There are games, too, but I've not played them. I do like using the Fire Stick because I'm not really an avid watcher of the current shows on TV. And there's usually something I can find on the stick. I watched a ton of old X-Files last year.

I think you'd like it. There are others, too: Netflix, etc. My BIL has Netflix and he loves it. My co-worker doesn't get cable where he lives, so he uses Netflix and he really likes it. And when our son moved, they never bothered to get the cable hooked up; they use Netflix instead.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a Fire Stick, and I love it. Setup was really easy (once we got a wifi connection booster working properly - reception isn't the best in this house :rolleyes:). As Winchester Winchester says, you do have to watch what movies/shows are free with Prime, and which cost money (little tip - if you are renting/buying, the SD versions are usually cheaper than the HD ones ;) I only have a little tv, so I don't bother paying the extra for HD). I do pay for Netflix too, and probably watch that more (via the app using the fire stick). Between Prime TV, Netflix, and other free-to-watch apps (like BBC iPlayer), I never use anything else!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks... I am going to see what the price is on Cyber Monday. Amazon is hinting the price will drop a bit more...