Am I the only cheap-o here?

loveysmummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am with the posters that say fast food is horrible...
Its better to go to a local salad or burger mom and pop place than it is to go to McD's or BK.

I also think that good food is a necessity and I am willing to pay for it.

I tend not to go to the chains like Applebee's, Olive Garden etc...as my faves are locally owned ethnic eateries and I really don't think the food is exceptional at the chains. Though I like the Zuppa Toscana at Olive Garden, I can make it at home even better

A good dinner out is $50-$60 incl. drinks and tip.

At an average beer and burger place I expect my portion of the bill to be about $15

esrgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, I'd say you are cheap, but that's ok
Not everyone wants to fork out an arm and a leg for a meal. My favorite places to eat are Palaminos in Indianapolis and Kinzie Chop House in Chicago, where our bill with two alcoholic drinks, a shared appetizer, and a shared dessert, bottle of water and two entrees, plus a tip (usually $15-20) would cost us about $65 at Palaminos, $75 at Kinzie. This is reasonably priced for me, because these places have real linens; impeccable service; excellent food; and a lot of the produce and dishes are seasonal. We usually eat out 2-3 times a year at a nice place- generally each of our birthdays and our anniversary.

If we eat at Applebees, O'Charleys, etc. I usually order of the lunch menu, since I don't eat much in one sitting and it's less expensive.

I work at the Olive Garden and it amazes me how many people think we are expensive. Just a note, if you want to go cheaper at the OG, the lunch menu is available all the time

When we travel we like to stay places with a mini fridge and microwave, so that we can make our own sandwiches, eat cereal, etc. and splurge on dinner.

Since we are both on a very fixed income we do these nice nights out instead of buying presents. We both just love a good meal and good service.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a real cheap-o sometimes. When I fly to vacation, I bring a nearly-empty suitcase & stop at yard sales & thrift-stores for ice chests & other supplies, then head to the nearest supermarket. For my honeymoon in TN, I got us a great deal on a Ford pick-up & we went car camping. We saved hundreds, possibly a thousand or more, on motel & restaurant costs. The state campgrounds were awesome; at every campsite,I met at least one or more cats that had been abandoned there
. So for as long as we stayed at a spot, the cat(s) had a home & I had a kitty-cat nearby. I don't drink coffee, so I spent my snack money on cat food. Also, I met many more people than I would have at motels. So my motto is "I'll save my money here and spend it there (to help cats & folks down on their luck". And I have the most fascinating experiences - both social & natural. My poor hubby - on his own, he'll spend hundreds a day, just on food & lodging.