Am I stupid?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No word on the bank job yet. I'm applying at MP for the full time one(do you even know what that place is? I don't!). I'm also applying at the historical place. The church one isn't during the summer, so I skipped that one. The hospital one I really liked...appears to have been filled. It's no longer on the website.

THe MP application scares me. Seeing it, I highly doubt they'll hire me. It's all like "check this box if you have experience here".

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So you've decided to take a full time job at this time?

If not, you really shouldn't be applying to positions that you have no intention of taking because it wastes people's time. The time they spend interviewing you, someone who isn't serious about the positions and will take one if offered, they could have been interviewing someone else who actually wants the job.

I know when I worked in Human Resources, I used to get so angry when I would contact someone about a job after the interview process only for them to tell me that they don't want it. There is more involved in Human Resources than just interviewing job candidates, and time spent doing that takes away from other job related duties.

So I hope you are serious about these applications you have submitted.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I will take the job if they offer it. I can get all my classes in the evenings or on weekends.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

No word on the bank job yet. I'm applying at MP for the full time one(do you even know what that place is? I don't!). I'm also applying at the historical place. The church one isn't during the summer, so I skipped that one. The hospital one I really liked...appears to have been filled. It's no longer on the website.

THe MP application scares me. Seeing it, I highly doubt they'll hire me. It's all like "check this box if you have experience here".
MP? I think its a temp agency where they place you within a company that needs those specific needs?

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does your college have a career center? Do they offer jobs to student workers? Perhaps they can help you find a paid internship or help you narrow your search down to part-time only...

You really should finish school...you need a Bachelor's to flip burgers these days! I did tons of job searching this year, and in my field they wanted at least a Bachelor's but preferably a Master's! And they were NOT about to give it to me just because I'm in my last quarter before graduation! It depends on the field and your location, but the moral of the story is that there is a TON of competition across the board and I would imagine that for an administrative assistant jobs, they'll want at least an Associate's, but they'l prefer a Bachelor's. At least that's what I was seeing a lot of.

Put school irst right now. Even if the only part time job you can find is being a Sweater-folder at the Gap, take it. You only have to have it for the duration of 5 classes, and you're going to want something relatively low-impact so that you can focus on your studies and not just your job!

bab-ush-niik

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What if I apply & am offered one of the full time jobs?
Companies will negotiate if they like you and you're worth it. It's more important for you to finish right now. I see two options:

1) Explain to the company that you have 5 classes left and need to finish them right away. Tell them that you are very interested in working for them. Ask if you can do part time during the rest of this semester, full time in summer, and part time during the fall semester. Go to full time over winter break and while you take your last class in spring semester. Suggest that, since you don't have your degree yet, you would be willing to negotiate a lower salary now and be hired as an intern. Make it understood that you switch to regular pay when you have your degree in hand. They'll like this because they get several months of full time work for cheaper than normal.

2) Take the full time job, take a class in summer, 2 classes in fall, and 2 classes in winter.

Both ways are going to be a hard year, but if you can do option 1, it's probably better for you.

Also depends on whether you pay tuition by the unit or by the semester. Most 4 year universities are by the semester, which is why option 1 is best.

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the jobs that are open are in what you would be doing after you graduate and there is room for advancement with the company, I would suggest taking the job and doing night school or Saturday classes. My niece is taking her paramedics course on Saturdays. It will take a little longer, but she is able to work full time while doing it. If you do interview for the position, I would suggest that you advise the company of you plans to continue your education "to increase your assests for the company".

Whatever you decide - good luck!