Am I Stressing My Cat Out??? Eating Issue (long Post, I May Be Nuts)

drelocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

I have two cats, Walnut and Cashew who are almost 4 years old. We've had them since 2015.

They eat wet food morning, lunch, dinner. They used to have dry food out, but vet told us Walnut needed to lose weight, so we took that away.

Walnut is 13.8 pounds, Cashew is 10.15-11.0 pounds.

Issue is with Cashew. Cashew is a pretty good eater, normally finishing way faster than Walnut. Sometimes he would vomit right after eating too fast, sometimes he walks away and I would give to him in a different spot where he would finish. This would happen only every few weeks or so, but enough where I know it's not that unusual.

I decided to weigh my cats around end of October and I was shocked to see the both lost about 5 ounces since July. Now a normal person would make the connection that we stopped giving them an afternoon squeeze treat and that probably accounted for the weight loss. Not me, I freaked out. I started giving more treats (crunchy) to see if they'd gain weight.
Cashew started right about this time to leave food on his plate more regularly and he'd walk away, I'd walk behind him and put down his food with a couple treats to get him to eat.
Things seemed to be normal until Thanksgiving. We have a big party at our place and Cashew didn't finish his food the morning of (understandable we had tables set up, etc.). Then at the party my nieces were playing with the cats, giving them treats, etc.

I also during this time decided maybe we should add the dry food back. So at night I would put out a couple of spoons of dry food for each cat and Cashew loves it. So last week I just took him to the vet to rule out anything. The vet said he looks fantastic, perfect weight. They ran a full blood panel and fecal test, called me the next day and say everything was perfect, his decreased (or weird eating) is most likely behavioral and he may want treats, etc now instead of wet food.

Since the visit he's worse with being picky about when he eats. The thing is he isn't eating any less than he used to, but rather finishing at different times. When he's hungry, he finishes the wet food.

Of course my head has run straight to GI lymphoma which can only be detected with more expensive tests. My boyfriend thinks I'm insane and told me I most likely am causing this.

His idea is to put the food out at normal time and if Cashew doesn't finish it, he said don't chase him/bribe him to eat, eventually he will relearn his feeding schedule. He says (and I agree) that feeding time at this point has become stressful for both Cashew and myself so Cashew is now seeing this time as something to fear, therefore he doesn't sit to finish his food, rather wants to eat it in a different spot later, alone.

Also, his weight has remained stable this entire time, even gone up a couple ounces.

Phew.

Thoughts??? I feel so sad that I may be causing him so much stress.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

drelocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wanted to add activity levels, water drinking, litter box usage is all normal. No vomiting or diarrhea.

He does hide a little like he's in trouble around feeding time, thus leading me to think I'm seriously stressing this guy out.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are stressing ME out reading about it! :) Yes, put his food down and let him eat in peace. 5 ounces since July is NOT an abnormal loss, especially since you quit dry food. I'm surprised it wasn't more. Just like people cats weight does fluctuate a little and they can get very picky about what they eat. But sooner or later they will eat if they get hungry enough. A day without eating doesn't hurt anyone if it is by choice. If you must weigh, weigh once every couple of weeks. That way the ups and downs will equal out. As long as a cat is eating, drinking and using the litter box, everything is fine. Throwing up once in a while can be normal too, especially if they are stressed. Try to enjoy your time with your little ones more, try not to hover over them, just play with them and love them, that is all they ever wanted! Remember cats by nature are independent creatures. I would much rather see someone like you, who is concerned and loving then those i see that ignore their pets totally. ANY concerns or questions are never too small to bring up here, we will always listen and try to help. You will be blessed for loving them so much!

drelocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you!!! I know, I sound insane!!! Thing is, these aren't my first pets. But I think after putting our first 3 pets (2 dogs, 1 cat) to sleep after many happy years have made me more nervous with these two because I know how hard it is.

It's just so hard for me to see him walk away from his food that I'm starting to dread feeding times and I think it's rubbing off on him.

As my boyfriend pointed out, he hasn't stopped eating his normal amount, just stopped eating it all at once.

So I know in an hour it will be dinner, Walnut will be begging and Cashew will walk out like normal, eat a bit and then walk away. Inwardly I will get totally nervous and then hover around him trying to get him to finish.

So new plan is to pick the food up when he walks away and leave him be (can't leave out or Walnut will eat it. He. Eats. Everything). Let me know we will not follow him around until he eats, or give him treats to bribe him.

I hate how my mind alway goes straight to cancer.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just put the food down and let him eat. Cats appetites will often fluctuate from day to day, as long as he is eating and maintaining his weight he is fine. You only have to be concerned if it becomes two or three days without eating anything, or only a couple of bites during the course of the day. I have a senior lady with CKD so I give her as much as she will eat because maintaining weight becomes an issue with CKD kitties. Her prescription food comes in the small cans, she will sometimes go several days when she eats three cans then she goes back to two cans a day for awhile. She is just more hungry some days then others.

drelocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you! We are going to try what you've all suggested.

I think part of it is that two of our pets, died two years in a row right at Christmas (sudden, quick illnesses, dog was 14, kitty was 18). So Christmas, me and pets make for an anxious time of year lately.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow! Where did you get GI lymphoma from being just a little weird about finishing his meals?

If it was lymphoma, you'd have symptoms. You'd probably see vomiting and/or diarrhea and pronounced weight loss. What I've heard from a few vets is that if he can put weight back on, it's probably not cancer. Cancer eats calories.

He sounds perfectly healthy and probably a bit finicky because he knows he can get treats if he holds out for them. I would reduce the amount of treats and bribes you are using to get a healthy cat to eat. It will be that much harder if he ever becomes unhealthy, and you really need those bribes and treats to get him to eat. I also feel you need to curb this treat-seeking behavior because it will make it that much harder to detect when he's not eating for legitimate reasons. You will get resisitance if you cut him off cold turkey but you could reduce what you give slowly until it's no longer being added.

Are you leaving kibble out for him? Free fed cats don't always eat on schedule because food is always available. Hungry cats finish their meals.

drelocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
ha! I got lymphoma from Dr. Google.

Both our cats had fevers of unknown origin within their first year with us, at different times. High fevers, a few nights at the vet, etc. They never found out what caused it and my vet used them (they are from same litter) as a case example at a lecture.

I spent so much time during all that researching illnesses, my mind has stored every scenario and sometimes it just leaks out. :(

Stinky15

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you! We are going to try what you've all suggested.

I think part of it is that two of our pets, died two years in a row right at Christmas (sudden, quick illnesses, dog was 14, kitty was 18). So Christmas, me and pets make for an anxious time of year lately.
If you are giving him any kind of people food snacks/treats it might be a good idea to stop that as well. My cat has an appetite problem and I finally have come to the conclusion for part of his not eating was because I was giving him cooked chicken and pork. I think sometimes he would hold out for that rather than eat the cat food.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think part of it is that two of our pets, died two years in a row right at Christmas (sudden, quick illnesses, dog was 14, kitty was 18). So Christmas, me and pets make for an anxious time of year lately
I can understand your stress. The times of year and memories of past cats definitely hang around in our brains and hearts. I do think you are worrying a little overmuch, though, as it sounds like the vet feels he's doing fine.

... The thing is he isn't eating any less than he used to, but rather finishing at different times. ...
My boyfriend thinks I'm insane and told me I most likely am causing this.

His idea is to put the food out at normal time and if Cashew doesn't finish it, he said don't chase him/bribe him to eat, eventually he will relearn his feeding schedule. ...
My cat will sometimes do this, too -- eat about an ounce of an intended 2 ounce meal... then leave, to doze or play or look out the window. What I've found is that about an hour later, she'll return to finish the meal. It drives me bananas, and sometimes I move the food dish around too. (My cat is spoiled, agh.) But other times, I figure she's eaten her fill for the moment and I refrigerate the remainder until the next scheduled meal. (I do scheduled meals, no free-feeding.)

I think it's true like your boyfriend thinks, that Cashew will relearn when the food dish will be out, and when it will disappear. Cats do go through some phases of not eating as much as seems usual. I've even read here at TCS that some people witness their cats eating less in the wintertime than in the summer -- or vice versa.

Maybe to distract you, you could jot down your memories and worries about all your kitties (edit: and doggies! I forgot your dog!), the past ones and the current ones, and give your heart and stress a bit of space by "externalizing" your fear in that way, via words to remember and reread.
:redheartpump:

Last edited:

drelocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can understand your stress. The times of year and memories of past cats definitely hang around in our brains and hearts. I do think you are worrying a little overmuch, though, as it sounds like the vet feels he's doing fine.

My cat will sometimes do this, too -- eat about an ounce of an intended 2 ounce meal... then leave, to doze or play or look out the window. What I've found is that about an hour later, she'll return to finish the meal. It drives me bananas, and sometimes I move the food dish around too. (My cat is spoiled, agh.) But other times, I figure she's eaten her fill for the moment and I refrigerate the remainder until the next scheduled meal. (I do scheduled meals, no free-feeding.)

I think it's true like your boyfriend thinks, that Cashew will relearn when the food dish will be out, and when it will disappear. Cats do go through some phases of not eating as much as seems usual. I've even read here at TCS that some people witness their cats eating less in the wintertime than in the summer -- or vice versa.

Maybe to distract you, you could jot down your memories and worries about all your kitties, the past ones and the current ones, and give your heart and stress a bit of space by "externalizing" your fear in that way, via words to remember and reread.
:redheartpump:
Thank you!

Yes. At feeding time I'm going to go sit in the sun room and leave everybody alone. I agree, sometimes writing down all my fears helps me to see things in a different light.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's hard to find the goldilocks amount of food per day that will make our kitties the "perfect weight".

It doesn't help that your Walnut scarfs down any food anywhere, too! lol :)
That's enough stress for anyone!

I only have one cat, so I am "lucky" with mealtimes.

:hugs:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are NOT insane, you are a loving, concerned cat parent. Many cats do prefer to eat small amounts in frequent meals. It is actually a better way to eat if you can swing it. You must be younger (of course, almost EVERYONE is younger then me!) or you would have learned NEVER Google illness or injuries. They are seldom correct about YOUR circumstances, or always end up with something fatal. They are great for information but not things like that. If in question you can always call your vet or come here!
PS I am a worrier too, but age has taught me it changes nothing and 99% of what I worry about DOES NOT HAPPEN! Tomorrow will take care of itself, what will be, will be....

drelocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wonder if providing different flavors of food on a rotation would encourage him to finish his meal? Cats will get tired of the same old thing all the time.
We did that yesterday, but honestly we added dry food, tried a new food, changed his bowl all at the same time and I think I freaked him out more!

Of course Walnut ate everything happily.

drelocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well dinner didn't go so well.

Normally they eat shreds, but we decided to tray pate to see if that would make a difference. Both cats looked at it and walked away. So then we put out their regular food and Walnut ate, but Cashew at a bit and left it. I did not follow him with the food.

So Cashew played for a good while and then went to his window perch where I broke down and brought him his food which he then finished clean.

I don't get why he's doing this and it makes me so nervous because i read all these posts about cats who start getting picky and then don't eat at all.

Tomorrow I'll be at work all day, so my boyfriend (who is more disciplined than me) is going to do the whole put the food out, take it away type thing to try and start retraining Cashew.

This is hard.

drelocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry everybody. I read this and realize I sound like a kook, but I can't help it.