Am I Somehow Stopping My Cat From Going Into Labor

lillion10182

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is getting close to delivery. We dont know exactly when she became pregnant, but based on how big she is, her increased affection, appearance of her nipples and the beginning of her nesting behavior we know she's due really soon.

I'm a little confused by her behavior today. She keeps encouraging me to follow her into our walk in closet and then she'll sit in the box we have prepared for her, purr very loudly and lick herself. If I leave to to get back to work (I work from home), she'll follow me and stop purring.

I read in another forum that pregnant cats that are very dependent on their owners will stop giving birth if their owners leave the room. I rescued our cat when she was a kitten and nursed her back to health. We spend a lot of time together and she is very affectionate towards me, so yes she is very dependent. By me leaving, am I somehow putting off the labor and making her wait or was the info from this other forum false?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lillion10182

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One more question, if this behavior can go on for days before she gives birth, what sign should I look for that she's really ready to deliver? I want to be there for her through this and I dont want her to go through it alone especially while she's in labor and delivering, but I also have responsibilities.... and I cant sit in a closet for 2-3 days haha :D

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
In my opinion, even if she did try to wait, it's a type of natural thing that once those labor contractions begin, it'll begin :) unless there are problems, and I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that she has an easy uneventful time of it.

I'm not familiar with what to look for, hopefully another member will chime in for you for that.

You could try and move close to there with a laptop? Or you could try playing some low volume music, there's an app called RelaxMyCat.

lillion10182

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!
In my opinion, even if she did try to wait, it's a type of natural thing that once those labor contractions begin, it'll begin :) unless there are problems, and I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that she has an easy uneventful time of it.

I'm not familiar with what to look for, hopefully another member will chime in for you for that.

You could try and move close to there with a laptop? Or you could try playing some low volume music, there's an app called RelaxMyCat.
Thanks so much for responding! Not gonna lie, I'm so anxious right now. I've done a lot of online research just trying to learn as much as I can so that she can be healthy and safe. I think learning about some of the rare problems cats can run into with deliver have scared me a little. It helps to have someone to talk to though. Thanks again and thank you to everyone else in advance who post here. I appreciate it!

lillion10182

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat started having contractions at 3am. It's 5am and they're more intense and she seems more tired. I see a kittens tail. There was a sack around it, but now there isnt (I'm assuming she popped it by licking.

Is the kitten ok like this for now? Should I hold the tail and help pull it out?

lillion10182

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also, she'll appear to be in labor for a while and then she'll get up and start looking for other places to nest. What stage of birth is she in and how do I get her to stop moving around? I dont want her to make a mess all over my house so I'm trying to keep her with these boxes. I've moved 4 times now haha should I just move us to the bathroom and shut the door?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Its an asap vet errand!

Also, she'll appear to be in labor for a while and then she'll get up and start looking for other places to nest. What stage of birth is she in and how do I get her to stop moving around? I dont want her to make a mess all over my house so I'm trying to keep her with these boxes. I've moved 4 times now haha should I just move us to the bathroom and shut the door?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Re her tireying, you can always try with smearing of some water + honey on her lips and gum. If she manages to lick in some its even better.

But the situation is no good.

If you dont have no vet nearby, you can try and help to draw in the tail, simultaneously as she pushes. Have a cloth or gloves, so its not that slippery.
But this is sheer desperation. A vet is a much better and safer bet.

lillion10182

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat finished giving birth at 7:30am to 5 kittens. It's been about an hour now and the kittens are all over her, but dont seem to be latching. How long can I help them try to latch before I should go with a plan B? What would plan B look like with bottle feeding?

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are the kittens well cleaned by their mom? You can help by placing the little ones so that they easily find the nipples.

lillion10182

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Are the kittens well cleaned by their mom? You can help by placing the little ones so that they easily find the nipples.
Yep they've been well cleaned by mom. She's resting, purring and they're crawling all over her. I'll continue to try to place them. How long should I go before switching to hand feeding them with a bottle?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Healthy kittens do manage several hours.

You can always let them lick of some water with a little white caro syrup to buy time.

Momma has perhaps no milk as yet.

lillion10182

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Every time I leave the next my momma cat will follow me and start meowing in distress until I return. She'll also walk back to the nest and meow at me from there. How can I calm her? I've been up since 3am helping her and learning as much as I can.... And now grandma is exhausted!

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You were saying that the kitties were not latching. Is mom nursing them now? If mom cannot yet produce any milk this could upset her. How much time has elapsed since delivery?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Try to sleep in there near the nest.
Have they latched on?

The best way to know for sure if they get enough is to weigh every day. If they add 10+ grammes daily good.