Am I handling this aggressive behavior correctly?

tillysmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm sitting in bed rather distraught because my cat Tilly just bit me rather aggressively and I'm kind of rattled. The background... Got her two months ago from a rescue group. She was fixed prior to adoption so rather late in life. She is 7. She had lived with a another cat but now is an only cat. She is currently not healthy and has not been since I got her. She came with ear mites and ringworm, still has the ringworm and we've dealt with a bladder and a respiratory infection recently. The infections have cleared. I've spent so much money trying to get her better.

Tonight she came to bed ( she usually sleeps with me, at my side, sprawled across my chest or nuzzling in my neck) and curled up next to me. I placed my hand in front of her since she sometimes likes to place her hand over mine. She put out her paw, put her head on my hand but then picked up her head, grabbed my hand with both paws and chomped down hard on it. I was so shocked I screamed owwwww. I had to grab her head to pull her off of my hand. I then just nugded her off the bed. The thing that really scared me is she went into the other room but then ran back in and jumped on the bed and tried to attack me again. I blocked her and pushed her gently off the bed again and shut her out of the bedroom.

She did bite a bit when I first got her when she would get over stimulated. This ended in about a week when I started calmly telling her no and withdrawing attention when she bit. I also learned how much touching she preferred and what was too much.

I'm afraid all the poking and prodding and trying to give her medicines and creams has created a tense relationship for us but what else can I do? She was a bit cuddlier when I first brought her home.

I also think she's bored a bit but I'm at a loss with that too. We play two or three times daily, more on weekends. She has a giant cat tree and tons of toy mice. She's not interested in a laser or treat ball, I've tried. She has big windows to look out of. I leave the tv on for her most days while I'm at work. She eats decent food and gets plenty. She gets lots of lap time on weekends and in the evening....she's turning me into a couch potato.

The only information the rescue group gave me was that she was surrendered by her owner with her sister because they had a baby - they thought she might bite the baby! Of course they told me this after I brought her home but they also told me she was healthy. Not too happy with them.

I adore her for many reasons but right now she terrifies me and I don't trust her enough to let her back in my bedroom to sleep. I don't know what else I can do with her.

Any ideas what's up with her?

Tilly's terrified mom

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh; that does sound scary!  Was there anything different tonight?  A new lotion or soap that you'd used?  Freshly washed bedding?  Sometimes Noodles will get in a huff with me just because I've peeled an orange earlier in the evening and she can still smell he citrus on my hands.  It really seems like something about your hand set her off.  Did you notice any strange noises at that time where redirected aggression could be behind it?  I would give this article a read if you haven't already: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/20837/ouch-how-to-stop-cat-aggression-toward-people

Hopefully someone more experienced with this will be along soon.  And I hope things calm down in your house too!  When you come out of your room again; try to be calm and act normal.  She will pick up your emotions if you are fearful.

Please keep us updated!