Am I doing the right thing with this kitten?

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok first it is great to make a post that isn’t a hypochondriac type post over Scooter. 😂 But I do need help more like reassurance here. Before I start I will note I currently live with parents due to financial reasons. I can’t afford to rent a place that will allow pets. You will understand why I said that shortly.

My mom works at a water utilities place she works inside the office. Sometime Tuesday one of the guys were out on a call. They saw a cat in the road and swerve to miss her. The cat was carrying something she got spooked dropped what she was carrying and ran. Turns out what she was carrying was a small black kitten. The guy picked the kitten up out of the road. He looked to see where mom went to see if he can try to put the baby back with mom. But he could not find her or where she went. So instead of leaving the kitten alone he brought it back to the office. For some reason my mom thought we could take her which she knows we can’t. The kitten is a black female we estimate she is about 3 or 4 weeks old. She is very cute and I always said I wanted a black female cat however the time is not right. I would have to set up a 2nd litter box cause 3 cats and 1 litter box wouldn’t work. I can tell the difference from when Scooter uses the litter box and when Casper goes. With 3 cats I wouldn’t be able to tell. I don’t have the space for a 2nd litter box. That is why I only have 1 for 2 cats. When it would come to food I would have to buy regular food then kitten food I cannot handle that financially right now. Plus Casper is terrified of her. I know it is because she smells funny to him but he still will not come in the room when I take her out to feed her. Him being terrified is not a good situation for him or the kitten. Scooter he could care less he watches the kitten but then goes about his business. So right now it not a good time especially financially. So I made the decision on not to keep her.

My mom talked to the guy who found her he said he will take her. He plans on nursing her and when she is ready to find a good home for her. But he can’t take her til Friday. Since it is 1:25am in WV as I type this I basically have 24 hours left with her. She does get fed kitten milk cause she is not ready for solid food yet. Plus I think she has something going on with her eye as I have to clean it constantly. So she might need a vet visit which I definitely can’t afford. This guy has done this before so I know she will be in good hands. He can better care for her then what I can right now. With Scooter & Casper both were already on kitten food I never had to bottle feed them or help them potty.

In my head and heart I know this is the right thing for her. As much as it hurts cause she is what I always said I wanted I just can’t handle it right now. Plus I don’t have the energy and finances to handle another cat right now. She deserves someone who has the time and money to properly care for her. She deserves to have someone with better knowledge at it than me. I know this is the best for her. I just need some reassurance I am indeed right in doing this. So am I doing right with this kitten?

the cute stray

IMG_2626.jpeg

Last edited:

poolcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, you're doing right. Doing right by the kitten and by your cats (though Casper would probably get used to her eventually if introduced correctly). And it's the right thing for yourself... it's obvious you realize that already. She's adorable and I know it will be hard to part with her, but if this guy sees your mom at work, you'll probably get regular updates on how she's doing. You could even offer to cat-sit if he ever goes away on vacation.

The goopy eye could be a symptom of an upper respiratory illness--very contagious in cats, so don't let your two near her. She will definitely need a vet visit, and maybe antibiotics. Until she's tested, you don't know if she has other contagious, sometimes serious, diseases. More reasons to isolate her until she's checked out.

She probably has fleas, too, so a bath with Dawn dish soap might be a good idea.

You'll be in a position to adopt more cats someday. Right now, just give yourself a big pat on the back for helping this little one.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
In my head and heart I know this is the right thing for her. As much as it hurts cause she is what I always said I wanted I just can’t handle it right now. Plus I don’t have the energy and finances to handle another cat right now. She deserves someone who has the time and money to properly care for her. She deserves to have someone with better knowledge at it than me. I know this is the best for her. I just need some reassurance I am indeed right in doing this. So am I doing right with this kitten?
Based on your current situation and also there's a wiling person to take this kitten in, I should say that you are doing the right thing and I agree with what poolcat poolcat mentioned.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, you're doing right. Doing right by the kitten and by your cats (though Casper would probably get used to her eventually if introduced correctly). And it's the right thing for yourself... it's obvious you realize that already. She's adorable and I know it will be hard to part with her, but if this guy sees your mom at work, you'll probably get regular updates on how she's doing. You could even offer to cat-sit if he ever goes away on vacation.

The goopy eye could be a symptom of an upper respiratory illness--very contagious in cats, so don't let your two near her. She will definitely need a vet visit, and maybe antibiotics. Until she's tested, you don't know if she has other contagious, sometimes serious, diseases. More reasons to isolate her until she's checked out.

She probably has fleas, too, so a bath with Dawn dish soap might be a good idea.

You'll be in a position to adopt more cats someday. Right now, just give yourself a big pat on the back for helping this little one.
When she was brought home Tuesday I checked her for fleas. She is flea free as I saw nothing on her. I also made sure she had no skin irritations. When I first saw Casper he was in my front yard the cat house with his mommy. He stayed with her until he was ready to leave her. When I brought him in he had ringworm which spread to Scooter, Nera, my mom & myself. So I checked her over completely. Wherever her mom had her she seemed to be in good condition. The guy my mom works with doesn’t plan on keeping her he is going to nurse her til she is ready to be on her own. Then he will find a great home for her. He already knows few people who wants her. So I know she will be in good hands.

Casper doesn’t go near her he is terrified and Scooter doesn’t care. She is kept in a box that we turned into a safe space for her. So they cannot go near her. If I was financially stable and I had a bigger place yeah I will keep her. But I cannot handle a 3rd cat right now so it’s easier for her to go to someone who has the time and money to care for her.

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update: The little one went to Dave(the guy at my mom’s job who originally found her) Yesterday(Friday) I say yesterday since it is 1:30am where I am at now in the US. It sucks that I had to part with her but it is what is best for her. I don’t have the energy or finances to deal with 3 cats and 1 dog right now. Plus all day Thursday and most of Friday Casper did nothing but hiss at her which he has never done before. The only time I ever hear Casper make noises is when he chirps during play time with Scooter & when he meows when I am outside and he wants me back inside. I know with time he would have gotten use to her. But his hissing was scaring her so bad so it was not a good situation. Plus if she does indeed have something wrong with her eye Dave can take her to the vet since he can afford it and I can’t. But I know she is in great hands. As much as I would have loved to keep her she is better off with someone who can take great care of her. If my situation was different I would have kept her. But for now 2 cats and 1 dog is enough for me.

Thank you for the kind words and reassurance. Being a lover of animals when it comes to strays whether it’s kittens or puppies the best thing you can do is do what is best for them. Even if the outcome is giving them to someone else. Doing what you know is right is what is best. So I feel better that I did the right thing for her.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Update: The little one went to Dave(the guy at my mom’s job who originally found her) Yesterday(Friday) I say yesterday since it is 1:30am where I am at now in the US. It sucks that I had to part with her but it is what is best for her. I don’t have the energy or finances to deal with 3 cats and 1 dog right now.
You did the right thing. Don’t beat yourself up.

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You did the right thing. Don’t beat yourself up.
Thank you if my situation was different I would have kept her. But right now I don’t have the finances, energy or mental capability to handle 3 cats. So I did what was right for her, my furbabies & myself. I know she will do great and will eventually have a loving wonderful home. I will get my black female cat someday just not now.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Thank you if my situation was different I would have kept her. But right now I don’t have the finances, energy or mental capability to handle 3 cats. So I did what was right for her, my furbabies & myself. I know she will do great and will eventually have a loving wonderful home. I will get my black female cat someday just not now.
We understand your situation and therefore ask you to get your friend to take the kitten home and look after it for the better of the kitten and also lessen your load.

I’m sure you’ll get your black female cat one of these days and if you do, please let us know.

Last edited:

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have another update for you guys. My mom talk to Dave(the guy my mom works with who took the little kitten) today. He found a home for the little girl. A lady he knows her cat just had kittens he took the kitten to her. The momma cat took to her right away. She started cleaning her face and letting her nurse. They said it’s a little funny cause she is bigger and she is the only black kitten her new foster siblings are white. But she has a happy home and has what she needs. That makes me feel so much better and happy!

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I have another update for you guys. My mom talk to Dave(the guy my mom works with who took the little kitten) today. He found a home for the little girl. A lady he knows her cat just had kittens he took the kitten to her. The momma cat took to her right away. She started cleaning her face and letting her nurse. They said it’s a little funny cause she is bigger and she is the only black kitten her new foster siblings are white. But she has a happy home and has what she needs. That makes me feel so much better and happy!
That's great!