Always wanting more food?

fitzy819

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok, quick question. So Piper gets wet two times a day and she gets a certain amount of dry that I measure and leave out throughout the day by her water. She likes both of her foods a lot but she really really likes her wet. She is on a feeding schedule but EVERY time I go in the kitchen she always sits at her food bowl and cries and cries. She will also sit and lick her empty bowl even though she has already cleaned it dry hours earlier. Today after I had fed her I was still in the kitchen making a snack when she finished her food and she just set at her bowl crying like she wanted more.

Sooo, my question is, is she still hungry or will some cats just always beg for food even if they aren't hungry? If I leave the kitchen she leaves her bowl and goes about her business and doesn't still cry, but the second I go over to the kitchen again there she is. She still has her dry food available to her if she is still hungry but, idk, should I be giving her more wet if she wants it?

Oh, and for anyone following her potty issues story, we are still working on them. We added several extra boxes and she has not had any accidents for probably two weeks but her stools are still loose and mucusy. We have done a round of Flagyl which helped a little, but we will probably be trying a new vet for the third time pretty soon.

Anyways, thanks in advance!!!

nekkiddoglady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
some animals are very food motivated. She may just simply think that since you are in the kitchen, its feeding time.

One of our cats is always in the kitchen trying to solicit food. She's hoping for tuna, or one of those pouched cat foods (she doesnt even want the food, she just eats the gravy from it!)

If your cat is maintaining weight, I wouldnt offer more. Giving her more food will just lead to an overweight cat. You can maybe try smaller meals of the wet food and spacing them out.

pat traufield

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Some cats will beg for food even when they are not hungry. It is speculated that it is more of an attention getting device. You might try keeping a small toy are and tossing her a toy while you are in the kitchen.

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hemmy's never met food he wouldn't eat. He'll even ask company to feed him. Sounds like your kitty took a page from his play book and begs just in case! They have their own personalities don't they!

mysterycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mine is always begging for food too. I feed him twice a day, but everytime he see me touching the oven, he's always thinking that the food inside is for him

orangeishcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes- Peanut begs CONSTANTLY. You'd think we never feed him from the way he cries at his dish! He'll also come get me about 2 hours before feeding time and start begging- he'll rustle bags, get into things, do whatever he can to get my attention.