Always the Scaredy Cat?

poopiesmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Anyone else have skiddish cats?

I have 3 cats. I got 1 cat, Poopie in June of 02. In Nov 03 we decided to get her a playmate, and well, ended up bringing 2 more home, Smokey and Oreo.

Anyway, Smokey and Oreo are sisters. When we got them, they were about 9 or 10 weeks old. As kittens, they were always by each others side. Sleeping together, eating together, and playing together. Smokey has always been the more dominant cat, and Oreo was, and still is always skiddish.

Oreo seemed nervous the day we brought her home, but we figured w/ time and getting used to us, it would go away. She has gotten a bit better, but is still a very very skiddish cat even after 4 years.

She has opened up as much as possible to my hubby and I. She constantly comes around, meows, and stuts her stuff, as if she were saying "here I am, pet me, love me". But the minute you reach your hand to pet her, she usually freaks out and bolts, often hiding under any furniture that will keep her safe from anyone grabbing her. Very seldom do I get to pet her w/ my hand. The odd thing is if she is laying in a spot that is just in reach of being able to pet her with my foot, she is fine. Hubby and I can rub her all over w/ our feet, and she seems to enjoy this very much. She has fear of being held, so I think that's why she enjoys the "feet rubs" so much. Anytime I am actually able to grab her and hold her, she cowers in a ball, and shakes the whole time. I often wonder if she was abused as a young kitten before we got her, but the fact is her sister is fine, and the reputable shelter we got her from had no knowledge of any abuse, or atleast there were no signs of it. The odd thing being she is not afraid of our feet, I think if I were a cat, I'd be afraid of being kicked! Lol. Oreo also has no problem coming and sleeping in bed with us. She seems to wait until it is dark and the TV is off, then she will come and lay next to me and purrs.

We have been through 2 moves since we got her. The moves though never seem to really bother her too much. She seems to get used to her new digs quite quickly. Its just so odd that she struts around looking for attention, then bolts the minutes we try to give her some.

Also, another odd thing to point out, is when we do get to pet her w/ our hands, she enjoys getting spanked. I know it sounds odd, but Oreo and her sister Smokey enjoy getting smacked on the butt area above the tail, and the side of the hind legs. I know some cats like getting scratched, but these ones actually enjoy smacks. Its so weird!

Anyways, advice please?

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by PoopiesMom

I think if I were a cat, I'd be afraid of being kicked! Lol.
Actually, it's the opposite. Cats love to chase feet. They even sometimes lay right on the path of danger and get stepped on.

Originally Posted by PoopiesMom

Also, another odd thing to point out, is when we do get to pet her w/ our hands, she enjoys getting spanked. I know it sounds odd, but Oreo and her sister Smokey enjoy getting smacked on the butt area above the tail, and the side of the hind legs. I know some cats like getting scratched, but these ones actually enjoy smacks. Its so weird!
I hope you mean love pats not spankings.

About Oreo, it is not unusual for a cat to dislike being carried or petted. Two of my cats, Joji (senior cat) and Go (1+ yrs old) do not like being handled. I love them the way they are.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

poopiesmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks. Yes, what we give our cats are love pats, we don't hit them ever. But its just so funny the way the cats enjoy it, it looks like we are actually spanking them.

Of course, I love my cats just the way they are. I just wish Oreo was not as skiddish as she is. I would've just assumed that over time, she would realize that nothing bad, and only good things happen to her when she is held, so that eventually she would have come to enjoy it the way the other 2 cats do. But no such luck. Oh well.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have cats that are skittish also. Some just have that personality no matter what you do with them. I have a large household, and they are all treated equally, yet they all respond to me very differently.

You are right - "oh well".

werebear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Some cats find the intensity of petting or holding to be too much. We might think they will "get used to it" but it seems some never find it enjoyable enough to overcome their anxiety.

For instance, my Puffy came to me as a kitten, and he is, at age 11, still nervous about most interaction. I can drape him over my shoulder, while holding his rear legs in my hand, and he's happy. He will come sit on the arm of my chair, and if I throw a blanket over my legs, he will sit in my lap, but can still shy away from a hand if he's on the floor and I reach out for him.

One vet exam or being held for medicine is enough to convince some cats that danger still lurks in the hand! Enjoy her for what she can do, and take full advantage of petting her with your feet.

karebearcasey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
my susie who passed away about a year ago at the age of 18 (yes 18!) was always so scared, we joked she was afraid of her own shadow. you never knew when she claw the heck out of you and run away. my max is skittish with loud noises and new people and i suspect he always will be. sophie is a shy cat also and probably will always be also. the way i see it, people have different personalities and temperments, so do kitties. to each his own and i nurture each one in their own special way, although, they all love to have their tushies patted!