Alternatives to Rx CKD food?

Cwilson23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 18.5 YO cat SweetPea was diagnosed with CKD 6 months ago. At first she was willing to eat the Hills rx wet food. When she started snubbing it, I bought some royal canin and some proplan. I rotate between the different flavors to keep her eating. I've tried the rx dry food, but she won't eat it.

The Pea is a small cat - the most she ever weighed was 6.5 pounds. Now she's around 5 lbs and bony.

I'm looking to add more options to her diet to try and get her to eat more. She is willing to eat and has an appetite. The Rx food just doesn't consistently satisfy her. Do you have recommendations for homemade food for CKD? Or things I can add to the Rx wet food to make it more appealing but won't tax her kidneys?

Thank you!
20200528_145035.jpg

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure if you ever came across this site before, but I referenced it all the time when dealing with my own CKD kitty.
Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Everything You Need to Know to Help Your Cat

When it comes to food for CKD, the newer research shows that low phosphorus foods are better, not necessarily low protein. An all wet diet would also be best, so if she prefers wet food...all the better!

One thing that I found that was the absolute best thing at keeping my kitty eating was administering the sub-Q fluids. As the toxins build up in the body, you kitty will start to feel sick, hence not much appetite. And many cats will associate the feeling of being sick with the food they ate at the time, so rotating food is very important. My cat got a different flavor for every 1-2 meals, just to be safe.