Alternatives or Additives to Rx Diets for Struvite Crystals That Worked for YOu?

piano cat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Joey has recovered well from his second bladder infection. Vet has recommended SO food of course. Joey doesn't really like this food so I am feeding his friend Andy (also male but no bladder problems) the same food because the minute I leave them alone in their room they switch bowls. Andy, of course, does like the SO food. I've searched here and read as much as I can and there are some suggested additives, like cranberry powder, and some other things. Has anyone used any of these, got the cat to eat them, think you see results? I will guess that if you went through a bladder infection twice like Joe did you will stick with what the Vet ordered and I will too. I just wonder if anything else will help as my reading says food is not the only answer and is not always a success.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It kind of depends on what is behind the bladder infections, whether or not crystals/stones are part of the problem and the related inflammation they can cause. However, I agree with the above, about using pure D-Mannose. It wouldn't hurt to add it to your cat's diet. It is a powder that can be mixed with canned food, or any form of wet food.

It is a sugar-molecule that many bacteria adhere to in the bladder, so they are flushed out through urination rather than colonizing. It is derived from cranberries but is much more concentrated than using a cranberry product. Due to the type of molecule it is, it has minimal to no effect on cats with diabetes, nor does it cause diabetes. It works on many, but not all types of bacteria, but it did stop Feeby's UTIs for a long time. I use the same brand that fionasmom fionasmom posted a link to above.
D-Mannose For UTI: Dosage, Benefits, Side Effects (liveutifree.com)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

piano cat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
"Hi. It kind of depends on what is behind the bladder infections, whether or not crystals/stones are part of the problem and the related inflammation they can cause. However, I agree with the above, about using pure D-Mannose. It wouldn't hurt to add it to your cat's diet. It is a powder that can be mixed with canned food, or any form of wet food."

Crystals and stones are part of the problem but a serious initial cause is probably stress from being kept inside when he's used to being an outside cat. He got injured, I kept him in, he got a bladder infection, I let him back out. Only out daytime, actually wants to come in at night. Vet agrees. Vet says he'd never have a male cat himself, because they are so prone to this. Very confidence boosting - NOT. Going to look up D mannose.