alternative to wedding bands

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah Chrissy, this is where you were smart - you waited 10 years first!! And even smarter still - you used the words "husband" and "wife" instead of each others names.... let's face it, even if the unthinkable did happen after 20, 30 years - who know - those bands would work again elsewhere too! That's serious recycling!
LOL

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be sarcastic or offensive or obnoxious or whatever, (however I am slightly cynical after my parents divorced after 22 years, and my uncle and aunt after 28 so I tend to have slightly reserved judgements) I do really think you two made some sensible decisions regarding tattoed bands
I feel a bit wary about expressing this particular opinion - so I hope no-one is offended.

chrissyr

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
To tell you the truth, he probably never would have thought of tattooed bands if it wasn't for a "friend" of his. Mike wanted to go with our names but my Dad always said to never have someones name tattooed on your body. (He's even against having your kids' name tattooed just in case they dissappointed you. LOL) So I said sure but "husband" and "wife". That's why he tells his family he can "re-use" it if we ever divorce and save himself some money. LOL

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Heheheh your dad is a wise man! I don't agree on the kids name's though - I think that's really cute. I do in fact have my fiance's name tattooed on my belly (that was 6 years ago when I was younger and more stupid!) I'm currently tattooing over an image that had significance though.... i can tell you now that it hurts! I decided to go with the one thing I'll never STOP loving in life. Another CAT!! I want more pawprints too, but once the backpiece is finished, I think I'm going to have to stop..... little does my beloved know, my cat will be sitting in a garden of lillies (it's a play on words "lily cat" which is my nickname everywhere, instead of Lille Kat (little cat))

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My fiance isn't big into rings either. Although, he's picked out something he wants and the only time he isn't going to wear it [or so he says] is at work (he works on transmissions, and rings get caught on things, beat up, etc. His boss nearly lost his finger when his band got stuck on one of the machines there). We also are planning on having just plain bands tattooed around our ring fingers in the future. No words, names, etc.

If he will wear a necklace, buy him a band to put on it. I'm one of those people who want to show something in public like rings to show that we are married
I'm having a plain white gold band to go w/ my engagement ring.

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When my hubby and I were engaged, he was absolutely set against wearing a ring. He wanted one for the ceremony itself, but he said that he wouldn't wear it. I told him that he didn't have to wear his if I didn't have to wear mine (we are both welders and wearing rings and other jewelery is a baaaad idea). So we do wear our rings on the weekends occasionally, but even if we don't wear them, we still know that we are married. He wears his ring a lot more than I wear mine..lol

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't read all of the replies but thought I would add my own

My in-laws don't wear their wedding bands. They both work in a factory and their wedding set is in a safe. They can't wear them for safety reasons at work.

Also, my uncle worked in a steel plant for most of the time my aunt and uncle have been married. He couldn't wear his wedding band. He promised her when he retired he would wear it every day. And he has every day since he retired.

My own husband had a few jobs where he couldn't wear his wedding band. He wasn't any less married to me for not wearing his ring. Although I was on
when he could wear it again.

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My late husband was a mechanic and automotive electrician and didn't wear his ring, either. He put it on, when we went out. Afte he retired, the only time that he took it off, was when he was working on our own cars.

My Pops is the same way - no ring, while he's working.

ethereal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wish I even had the option to wear a ring! My SO bought be a ring and we've had to resize it twice! Its now a size 4 and LOOSE on me! I fear that they cant make a ring that will ever fit on my finger!

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ethereal

I wish I even had the option to wear a ring! My SO bought be a ring and we've had to resize it twice! Its now a size 4 and LOOSE on me! I fear that they cant make a ring that will ever fit on my finger!

Tell me about it! When Rob bought me my ring, it was a size 7. He knew it was WAY too big, but they were so busy with the holiday rush (he bought it in December 2006 to give it to me in February 2007), they wouldn't have had it back in time. I put teflon tape on the back to hold it snug for about a week after he proposed. I got it sized to a 4, and it STILL turns on my finger quite often. But 3½ was too small for my finger ... I'm stuck in the middle ... a 3.75 maybe?!

I wear my ring while working, but I also wear gloves over it (required at my job - working with acids and chemicals and such). I won't mind Rob not wearing his ring at work (although, my dad has worn his for the last 25 years working on cars. Has had some issues with getting stuff under it and burning himself though!), I just would like him to wear it when we go out on weekends and stuff
He hasn't said "no", so I'm taking it as a good sign!