Alternative to Litter Genie?

jweissenburger

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've always been intrigued by the Litter Genie and similar products and I've always assumed that they sounded too good to be true.  Now I've read both positive and negative reviews on it, but I'd really like to get some insight from people who've either used it before or come up with alternatives.

I have five cats and since garbage is only picked up once a week that leaves a lot of time with bags of used cat litter sitting around for long periods of time that causes some pretty foul odors.  I'd like to get some kind of a container that I can place by my litter boxes so I can clean them once or twice a day without going through a ton of bags and cutting down on the odor.

I currently use Arm & Hammer's multi-cat clumping litter and wouldn't mind suggestions for effective air fresheners or different cat litter brands.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I haven't tried the litter genie or similar products. As an alternative I use a plastic bucket with a tight snap-on lid that I kept from when I was using TidyCats litter. I line it with an Odor Block plastic bag and just keep dumping the litter clumps in the same bag. About once a week I haul it out to the dumpster. The Odor Block really does work. When I was using regular plastic grocery bags or even new garbage bags the stink would about knock me over every time I opened the bucket. I've also tried putting baking soda in the bottom of the bucket, but it doesn't work as well to absorb odors.

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use a bucket that has a scoop in the lid. When it gets full (or too stinky) I pour the litter into a plastic bag. If I had weekly pickup like you, I'd probably keep the bags on my porch or garage until trash day.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never used the Litter Genie, but years ago when I was a nanny, the Diaper Genie did work.  I wished I would've thought of it myself, after using a diaper genie!  Anyway, I actually ended up using a little plastic bucket that 10 lbs of Epsom salt came in from Sam's. "I call it the poopy pale."

I just put the poopy bags in there, & put them in the trash bag when I take it out.
 The pee ones don't smell up my trash.  I did put a folded up scented trash bag on the bottom of the pale, but I was remembering the stick up commercials, "This is a good place for a stick up." ...wondering if they still sell them, I will have to look, because it could use one!  I just look at Angel & say "Pewy, stinky poopies!!"

warprin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I like the litter genie but it's expensive because of he refills.Each refill is 14ft long. You tie a knot at one end and feed the litter clumps through the continuous open end that feeds out of the refill until the bag is full. Then you cut off an amount above the full level with the built-in cutter, leaving enough to tie a knot (if you want one, that is). I get maybe 14 bags full of litter if I'm lucky, because I FILL the bags as much as I can (I shake the Genie once in a while a little to make sure the litter clumps settle).

At $8 a refill, that's a rip-off and I know it. But if money is not an issue, it's a nice luxury. I'm actually thinking of getting rid of the system because it's just a waste of money, even if you can afford it. I'd rather spend my money on other things.

That said, it does a great job preventing odor leakage. The pail itself is a very basic build, I wouldn't pay more than $10 for it. Honestly, it should be free given the price of refills.

I'll probably do what I did before - get a step-can and line it with a scented kitchen garbage bag, filling it with plastic grocery bags full of litter (I often double bag). The refills really need to be about $2 each, not $8.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'll probably do what I did before - get a step-can and line it with a scented kitchen garbage bag, filling it with plastic grocery bags full of litter (I often double bag). The refills really need to be about $2 each, not $8.
This is what we do too. It does still get a bit stinky when you open the lid, but generally it keeps the smell contained well.

ellie78

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I used it for several months and not only found the refills too expensive but also hard to find!  I switched over to using a small trash can with a pop up lid that latches shut and I use Arm & Hammer unscented litter.  There is of course an oder when I open the lid to scoop, but in general it works fine and I have no day to day issue with odor.

warprin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That's right, the initial stink when you open the lid. But you are all right, it goes away quickly. I would sometimes sprinkle a little Arm and Hammer carpet deoderizing powder into the step can for the smell. I've got 2 litter genie refills left, I think that may be the end for me.

harleydiva

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use Litter Champ (www.luckychamp.com).  I like it better than the Litter Genie or Litter Locker because it has a "push down lid" on  top rather than a handle that has to be pulled out to drop the "stuff" down. It is also a lot bigger than Litter Genie.   I can see exactly how much is in it, and no stuck handles.  I have 3 of them....they work great.  Amazon sells the replacement liners....if you sign up for automatic delivery, they are a lot cheaper. They send you an email a month ahead of the scheduled delivery date....you can change it easily and put off delivery if you don't need them yet.  

Dr. Fosters&Smith has them on sale through tomorrow for $17.89....best deal I've ever seen!

Last edited:

bentliy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Feline Pine has GREAT odor control. If you get the pellets, as they become damp, the pellets break down and become almost like sawdust. It's light to carry into the house, light to carry out. And it doesn't fester as fast as clay/clumping.

lkschafer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
:nod:. I love the litter genie. I bought it on sale for 9.99$ at Targets. Nice container. The bags cost more then the container...2 pack refill for 15$....to high. I hope coupons come out for the refills.

marniemoonlight

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a litter genie and it is the best! I have tried every cat otter (seriously my sister was going to have an intervention). I have found Ever Clean to be the best. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002DHR9M/?tag=&tag=thecatsite

It can be a but dusty but honestly for odor control and making my kitty happy it is worth the money. Due to it being dusty I do t think I would by online and subject it to more traveling. When I bought cheaper litter I would end up spending more since I replaced it way more often. I also love the clever cat litter box. It helps with furry paws shaking off the litter.

nbrazil

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I used the Litter Genie and found it just adequate. With just two cats it was full in 3 or 4 days between dumps and that is unacceptable. So I looked into Diaper Pails and got this:

It lasts 7-10 days between dumps, has a larger opening controlled by a foot pedal and a drop door on top. A lot easier to use and cheaper in the long run.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I started also keeping some disinfecting wipes here to wipe up any drips left on the floor, or side of box. I also sprinkle in a little baking soda in the bottom of the box, when I dump & clean it every 2 weeks,

before filling it back up w/ litter. 

Last edited:

masonfamily

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Instead of tying a knot in the bottom of the refill bag, i use a good heavy duty trash tie or a rubberband, then i put a grocery store or small plastic trash bag over that (this will be the bag you actually dispose) . when it is time to empty i simpily undo the tie off and the waste slides into the disposable bag. The only time you have to pull down on the lg refill is when that bag gets too gross or soiled . I have multiple cats and with this method a refill cartridge lasts me about a year or so.

autumnrose74

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I've always been intrigued by the Litter Genie and similar products and I've always assumed that they sounded too good to be true.  Now I've read both positive and negative reviews on it, but I'd really like to get some insight from people who've either used it before or come up with alternatives.

I have five cats and since garbage is only picked up once a week that leaves a lot of time with bags of used cat litter sitting around for long periods of time that causes some pretty foul odors.  I'd like to get some kind of a container that I can place by my litter boxes so I can clean them once or twice a day without going through a ton of bags and cutting down on the odor.

I currently use Arm & Hammer's multi-cat clumping litter and wouldn't mind suggestions for effective air fresheners or different cat litter brands.
I really like it, but I only have one cat, and she fills up the part of the bag that fits into the lower half (I empty it once a week, the night before garbage day). You have 5, so you would definitely need to have more than one, depending on how much waste they produce out on average. 

Plus, unless you can figure out how to rig up a regular garbage bag (plastic) in it, you'll need to buy the bag refill inserts. The one that came with my Genie was 18', but for some reason the only refills I have been able to locate are only 14', although I can always spring for the 2-pack.

FWIW, I still like it!

ETA - for litter, I use Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract but, again... one cat. That litter is pricey, I can either pay $16 for 20 lbs., or $25 for the 40 lb. bag. But, Shelly took a liking to it, and we haven't had any "accidents" due to her not liking the litter, so I will be sticking with it. Plus, the tips booklet that comes in every bag has coupons that you can use on subsequent purchases (although I always seem to forget to bring one with me when I go to buy litter!).

Last edited:

autumnrose74

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When I was using regular plastic grocery bags or even new garbage bags the stink would about knock me over every time I opened the bucket.
Whenever I cut the bag and tie off the top before putting it in the trash, I always repeat to myself "breathe through the mouth, not the nose."

nbrazil

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One last time....

Two Cats:

Litter Genie lasts 4-5 days

Dekor Diaper Disposal lasts 10-12 days

Litter Genie - handle is awkward to pull, revealing small opening

Dekor Diaper Disposal - foot pedal and large opening

That is all, carry on.

catbuck

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have used the Litter Genie for for a over a year now and I love it. Not sure exactly how others use theirs but I have 1 cat and one refill lasts about 8+ weeks. I only have to empty it every 2-3 weeks and there is no oder at all. You can get the refills for $5-$6 if you keep an eye out. Right now they are about $6 each for a pack of 3 on Amazon, cheaper if you Subscribe and save.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I have had as many as 7 cats, and three Litter Genies.  They keep the odor under control and work great.  There's one that doesn't get used much and even if the poop sits in it for awhile (because it's not full and doesn't need changing yet), there's no odor.