Altercation at the DMV (mini rant)

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had to get my license renewed today and my mil took me to the DMV. The parking lot was full, and the car in front of us pulled into a handicap space at the far end of the lot in order to turn around. (There is no way to go around the building - the way in is the way out also.) A man started to leave and mil backed up to let him out. She had her turn signal on to indicate that she would be taking his space. Well, the woman that had gone to turn around drove up and put her turn signal on. Mil took the parking spot anyway. The woman blew her horn then pulled her car right behind us and sat there.

Mil stayed in the car. I got out and the woman started screaming at me. I couldn't understand everything she said, but I know she yelled that she hoped I failed the test. She raved on at me until I got in the building, which was packed. She didn't say anything when she came in, but gave me the most hateful look. What an idiot! Just because she was in the parking lot first does not mean any space that became available should belong to her. We were much closer to the space.

The good news is, I did pass the test. It was only an eye test, but it still kind of stresses me out. And the mean woman was turned away. It was close to closing time and they told her she'd have to come back another day.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Did she go off on the person that told her she had to come back? What is wrong with people these days??

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Doesn't your DMV let you set appointments? and then have spaces marked for "appointments only"? That is a terrible situation at your DMV
And maybe the mean lady was actually upset because maybe she had to take off work and/or pay for extra childcare just to go to the DMV, and all for nothing because your DMV doesn't have proper parking (which in CA would be against the law, to have only one ingress/egress).

nekomania

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The DMV always seems to be full of grouchy people.

Ours doesn't have apointments either so no designated parking spots.

If I had to guess I bet the lady didnt go off on the person working at the DMV since you can be arrested for that.

Karma will get her in the end, all that anger isn't good for your health!!

tory_canuck

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have never encountered any problems when I renew my vehicle registration or my license at the DMV's in Alberta. The most people I have had in front of me was 3 people. Peoples' registrations yearly expiry dates are based on the first letter of their last name, and July is the default month for thot se who don't have the letters of the months. Most usuallt get it done early AND the DMV outlets are never crowded because we have lots of them.They are privatized but regulated by the Province. Most DMV people here are friendly. Most of the ones I have been to are also next to a grocery store so there is plenty of parking.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by stephanietx

Did she go off on the person that told her she had to come back? What is wrong with people these days??
I think she said something, though not much, since she could have been arrested.

Originally Posted by catsknowme

Doesn't your DMV let you set appointments? and then have spaces marked for "appointments only"? That is a terrible situation at your DMV
And maybe the mean lady was actually upset because maybe she had to take off work and/or pay for extra childcare just to go to the DMV, and all for nothing because your DMV doesn't have proper parking (which in CA would be against the law, to have only one ingress/egress).
Our DMV does set appointments - but there is no reserved parking for the general public. The smart thing for those that don't want to wait is get there early in the morning or go to the larger DMV in a town several miles away. There are only three examiners at ours and they can take care of so many people. That woman's personal problems with childcare or was no excuse to go off on me. And she's lucky it was me; there are people even in our small town who wouldn't have put up with her mouth. Especially since she was wrong.

Originally Posted by Nekomania

Karma will get her in the end, all that anger isn't good for your health!!

Originally Posted by katiemae1277

Glad you passed your eye test!!
Thanks!

Originally Posted by Tory_canuck

I have never encountered any problems when I renew my vehicle registration or my license at the DMV's in Alberta. The most people I have had in front of me was 3 people. Peoples' registrations yearly expiry dates are based on the first letter of their last name, and July is the default month for thot se who don't have the letters of the months. Most usuallt get it done early AND the DMV outlets are never crowded because we have lots of them.They are privatized but regulated by the Province. Most DMV people here are friendly. Most of the ones I have been to are also next to a grocery store so there is plenty of parking.
The DMV people here are friendly. Someone in front of me was complaining about being from out of state and having to take a written test. The DMV officer was patient and trying to explain that it's the law. But she was starting to get mad. I think the DMV officers have a lot to put up with there. My nephew is a state trooper based out of that office. He doesn't have anything to do with the driving test stuff, but he's really nice.