Alpha or just laziness

tracyi838

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two female one year old domestic short hairs. They are sisters from the same litter and have never been separated. Overall they are great friends and rarely fight. One cat Sookie, is extremely playful and the other, Pumpkin, not so much. When Pumpkin does play, I noticed that if Sookie jumps in, Pumpkin will sit back and no longer play and I can't convince her otherwise. Is this an alpha situation or something else? Any advice?

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pumpkin could be intimidated by the idea of playing with Sookie. Sookie is really playful and might be more enthusiastic than Pumpkin wants, so Pumpkin backs off. Could also be that Pumpkin recognizes Sookie's "ownership" of play and play activities and backs off when Sookie decides to start in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tracyi838

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. That does make sense. It makes me feel bad because I don't know what to do for her and I feel like we are missing out on bonding because Sookie always jumps in. I'm trying to find other ways to bond with her though.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Monet is the same way. He'd back off if Picasso comes close or joins in the play. I'd have to put Picasso in the bedroom just so Monet gets some play time in.