Almost 2 Months And The Cat Is Still Hiding

PrincessPopcorn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!
I am writing on behalf of my mother as she has grown very concerned.

On November 6, 2017, my mom adopted a 5 year old female cat who has a history of abuse/neglect. My mom got her from a friend who said that she was shy and afraid of dogs. My mom doesn't have any dogs and she lives alone in a smaller apartment.

The issue is that ever since my mom brought her home, she has been hiding. Like... My mom isn't even sure what color the cat is. The cat, Baby, eats and uses her litter box, but only at night. I have been with her for the last week and I have heard Baby playing with a toy one time and I heard her eating one time each. If I try to see her, she runs away.

My mom isn't sure what to do. She talks to her everyday and gives her fresh food and water. She has tried laying quietly in the living room with treats, calling her name, offering toys, etc. But still nothing.

My mom also has multiple sclerosis, so sometimes she falls. She suspects that maybe that scares Baby.

Any advice? I've read a lot about it being medical sometimes too, but we can't find her to inspect her.

The apartment also has A LOT of stuff. So there are tons of places for Baby to hide.

Thank you!!!

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she has a history of neglect/abuse then it will take longer than usual to build up the trust. Patience is the most important thing and a non-stress environment. She will sense stress so keep calm and don't....well....stress about it. Cats are individuals so can take from no time at all to several months to feel safe in a new home. It's only November when you got her so that's not too bad yet.
Let her take the lead and don't force her to do anything she doesn't want to.
Does she seem healthy when you glimpse her? Only you will be able to decide if she needs a vet. If she's eating, playing and pooping then she sounds OK. Keep an eye on the poop for anything strange.
I adopted my ten year old Maine Coon and he came from a loving home but he still went into hiding upstairs for a week or two, coming out when he felt able to. However it took him several months to get brave enough to venture downstairs. He now is confident and wanders everywhere without a care in the world.
Again, be patient and calm and she should eventually come out.

Here's a TCS article that may help. How To Get A Cat To Come Out Of Hiding?

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I adopted a cat that had been abused years ago. The good news is your mom’s cat is eating. There is a chance that this could be medical but since Baby is eating, drinking and going to the bathroom normally I would not focus too much on that right now. I am thinking that because of her history Baby is just scared right now. Time and patience are really important to help a cat that has been abused learn to trust a new person. Your mom is doing things right while she is around baby. Sitting on the floor in the room talking to Baby is helpful but she may not be ready for that yet. It may be better to sit on the floor and read a book or watch tv right now without the interaction. Perhaps your mom could bring treats in the room with her. If possible your mom could toss treats around the room. Even though Baby will not eat the treats in front of your mom it will help form another positive association with your mom. Building trust with a cat that has been abused is a process that has to move at the cat’s pace. Trust will be earned when Baby is ready. It took a while for my Baby T to adjust but it did happen and the bond formed was extra special.

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
we have a stray we're trying to climatize to our household. we're using nannycams to monitor him. they are working really well for us. just a thought to at least see her even if she isn't ready to interact. (I got her because my story is similar although we've only been at it 10 or 11 days now)