Almond Brittle anybody?

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I'm going to make some almond brittle and some sugared pecans this afternoon....it will be a nice, sunny day, perfect for making brittle (I hope). Thinking of making some dark chocolate crunch, too.

Anybody here like brittle? I love almond and peanut brittle. I also like to make brittle with an assortment of nuts. I always sprinkle just a wee bit of sea salt on top of the brittle right after I've spread it into my pan....love that bit of sweet and salty.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love peanut brittle. My mom used to make it all of the time.  I had a recipe for making it in the microwave, that was really yummy, but I've lost it.  I've been wanting to make some peanut brittle for awhile, but haven't gotten around to looking up another recipe.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I like the smell of peanut brittle! I'm not crazy about the texture--afraid it will pull out my fillings!  I always make some at Christmas to take to work. My boss loves it. Here's the very simple recipe I use, from 1917:

2 cups sugar

1 cup shelled, roasted peanuts (you can use the kind in a jar, like Planters)

Place the sugar in an iron frying pan and cook very slowly, stirring constantly until all is melted, and of a brown color. (Use a wooden spoon for stirring.) Add the peanuts, and pour into a buttered pan.  Leave at room temperature to harden (a couple of hours). When hardened, break into pieces (the fun part!!!)

(It's very important to butter the pan. In addition to making removal easy, this also imparts a nice buttery flavor to the brittle.)

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I just made peanut brittle this afternoon in my microwave.  It's pretty good.  Good enough to give to my Dad for one of his presents.  Taste tested first, naturally
.  DH and I give it our seal of approval.  Boy was it easy.  Next time I'm thinking about adding in some coconut, and maybe some sunflower seeds as well.  Yum.

This one all depends on the strength of your microwave, though, and even though I have most of the info on mine, I couldn't fine anywhere what the power is.  Here's the recipe though.

1 C sugar

1/2 C Karo Syrup

pinch of salt

mix and cook on high in microwave for 3 minutes.  Stir and cook another 2 minutes

Stir in 1/2 to 1 C dry roasted peanuts.  Cook for another 1 1/2 minutes (on high)

Stir in 1 T butter, 1 teas vanilla, followed by 1 teas baking soda.  immediately pour onto a warm cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or quick release foil or silpat.  Spread out as thin as you can.  I covered mine with another sheet of parchment and rolled with a rolling pin.  Let cool and break into pieces.  Until it cools off the top paper will stick, but don't worry, once it cools it will come right off.

Tip:  coat bowl and mixing utensil in cooking spray.  I used a 4 cup measuring cup for my bowl.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I just made peanut brittle this afternoon in my microwave.  It's pretty good.  Good enough to give to my Dad for one of his presents.  Taste tested first, naturally :yummy: .  DH and I give it our seal of approval.  Boy was it easy.  Next time I'm thinking about adding in some coconut, and maybe some sunflower seeds as well.  Yum.

This one all depends on the strength of your microwave, though, and even though I have most of the info on mine, I couldn't fine anywhere what the power is.  Here's the recipe though.

1 C sugar
1/2 C Karo Syrup
pinch of salt

mix and cook on high in microwave for 3 minutes.  Stir and cook another 2 minutes

Stir in 1/2 to 1 C dry roasted peanuts.  Cook for another 1 1/2 minutes (on high)

Stir in 1 T butter, 1 teas vanilla, followed by 1 teas baking soda.  immediately pour onto a warm cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or quick release foil or silpat.  Spread out as thin as you can.  I covered mine with another sheet of parchment and rolled with a rolling pin.  Let cool and break into pieces.  Until it cools off the top paper will stick, but don't worry, once it cools it will come right off.

Tip:  coat bowl and mixing utensil in cooking spray.  I used a 4 cup measuring cup for my bowl.
This sounds like the recipe I've been using for several years. You just have to adjust the time for your specific microwave oven. I haven't been able to find raw peanuts anywhere this year. :( I haven't ever tried almond brittle, but I bought some almonds last week and plan to make almond brittle this afternoon. Glad to know in advance that it works.

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like brittle alot but it's difficult to only eat a little. So for me there ends up being guilt, etc. I met the owner of Colorado's Enstrom Candies and they let me try their heavenly almond toffee. It's even more sinful than brittle although they share similarities but sooo good. A gift box didn't last long LOL... Still, I prefer brittle.

Last edited: