Ally and Ollie meet Thursday, and I leave the following Wednesday

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds and looks like real progress (and Ollie looks like a different cat! So nicely rounded!). Mine still do a lot of whacking and chasing - sometimes immediately after a mutual grooming session and before another mutual grooming session. Now I have to laugh when I see one preparing to stalk the other - that little rear end shaking just gives me the giggles.

And, don't worry about a hiss now and again down the road - that will happen with the most loving of cats!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
the one thing that confuses is me is that while it looks like they're playing, Ally hisses a little bit once in a while, and I have yet to see one or the other be submissive.

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
(and Ollie looks like a different cat!
That's because he went through almost $50 of canned cat food in only a week and a half. He eats an insane amount for his size. I think I'm going to have to throttle back or else he's going to explode all over the wall.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They do grow up fast! They also go in spurts, as you'll see.

...and it can take a while to get used to cats playing. Whack, bite, and chase are all a part of it. Even hissing and tail puffing. In our house, growling usually means someone's had enough, and if the other cat doesn't listen, they get pinned and we have to break it up.

...but even two cats can sound like a thundering herd when "chase" is part of the play!

Laurie

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
oh.... my..... gosh.

I think they are actually getting along finally 99%. They're not best friends yet, and I hope they will be since that was really the point, but no more hating it seems.

No cuddling passed out yet to report.... but they're playing.

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by LawGuy

Does this mean anything or does it say nothing about potential progress they've made?
Awww...definate progress by my standards - it took a good month before Freya would sleep within 5 feet of Cotton.

browneyes106

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Does this mean anything or does it say nothing about potential progress they've made?
Cute pic. They are still forming a bond and maybe in a few days they will be cuddling more. But some cats never cuddle together. I have a couple of kittens fosters two years that never cuddled or anything.

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, it's been a few days since I've updated this thread and tomorrow I leave to get me and my little furry friends a place to live up in Antarctica... I mean.. uh.. Minnesota.

Anyways, HUGE... I mean really HUGE progress has been made in the last few days. Ally and Ollie are not enemies at all now - I'd even say that they are beginning to become friends, and I've caught the two of them cuddled together a few times now (but every time I catch it I accidentally wake them up and can't get a photo of it). No more hissing. Lots of play-wrestling. I have no idea who is alpha or if there is one at all (maybe I'm alpha in their eyes?)

I feel very comfortable leaving the two of them together over the next few days. They've got their feeders and water all set up, and I have somebody checking on them every day and cleaning the litter box. Unfortunately, it's a family member, and as you might remember I have some issues with trusting my family with my two - but.... my friend who is good with animals is on vacation and I really didn't want to board them and expose them to that stressful environment along with the possibility of catching something.

That's really my only issue of discomfort - leaving them in the hands of a family member. How sad is that?

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Well, it's been a few days since I've updated this thread and tomorrow I leave to get me and my little furry friends a place to live up in Antarctica... I mean.. uh.. Minnesota.

Anyways, HUGE... I mean really HUGE progress has been made in the last few days. Ally and Ollie are not enemies at all now - I'd even say that they are beginning to become friends, and I've caught the two of them cuddled together a few times now (but every time I catch it I accidentally wake them up and can't get a photo of it). No more hissing. Lots of play-wrestling. I have no idea who is alpha or if there is one at all (maybe I'm alpha in their eyes?)

I feel very comfortable leaving the two of them together over the next few days. They've got their feeders and water all set up, and I have somebody checking on them every day and cleaning the litter box. Unfortunately, it's a family member, and as you might remember I have some issues with trusting my family with my two - but.... my friend who is good with animals is on vacation and I really didn't want to board them and expose them to that stressful environment along with the possibility of catching something.

That's really my only issue of discomfort - leaving them in the hands of a family member. How sad is that?
That sounds awesome
Your babies will get so used to each other they will probably not even remember what it was like when they were apart
I'm so glad to hear they are doing so well

nance

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Well lets hope your family members learned a lesson out of Ally mishap...and they stay safe while your away

frealsyo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

they're so cute! ollie is beautiful.
mine sleep about that close together every night now. they've just started cuddling up to one another, but it's more of milo curling up on skunk when she's too tired to bother fighting it. but they seem to be taking big strides!

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

You should consider hiring a professional pet sitter. We like our jobs so we typically do a really great job so we can come back!

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by howtoholdacat

You should consider hiring a professional pet sitter. We like our jobs so we typically do a really great job so we can come back!
I agree with considering a pet sitter..... Hiring someone who's job is love and care for them versus a family member that you have trust issues with.

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have read this whole thread and it sounds like they are being typical siblings/roomates!!
The are sooo cute too. Just sit back and enjoy their antics.

I have a female cat and two males. She is always hissing and swatting them. She definately is the more dominant cat. I also remember you mentioning Ally making pain like noises when you held her. Fiona does that too. She likes to make her protests but truly does like the attention. I call it her 'squeaking'.
She is a little witch.

Rocko tolerates her swatting and hissing. Occasionally he will chase her and she will hiss and make a fuss but then I will catch her baiting him to chase her again!
I have learned to not be too concerned about their interactions because from what I have learned YOU WILL KNOW WHEN THEY ARE FIGHTING...

ReeRee and her have an interesting relationship I won't even get into. It is odd for sure but it works somehow. ReeRee looks like he is aggravating her all the time (which he is-he will chase her off furniture-very possesive) but she really does love him and takes care of him/grooming and stuff, and they play.

Just enjoy! I hope you find a nice place and can get settled quickly.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As I remember, there are some family issues regarding the cat sitter option - believe me, those of us who have been able to follow this whole thread can attest that Lawguy does only the best possible things for his 'kids' and has gone above and beyond in so many ways. Let's put it this way - among other actions, he vetted his apartment choices against what would be good for Ally and Ollie (well, himself too, but....)

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by darlili

As I remember, there are some family issues regarding the cat sitter option - believe me, those of us who have been able to follow this whole thread can attest that Lawguy does only the best possible things for his 'kids' and has gone above and beyond in so many ways. Let's put it this way - among other actions, he vetted his apartment choices against what would be good for Ally and Ollie (well, himself too, but....)
As I read within 1 page it was the family member he had trust issues with leaving them. I'm sorry but..... "he vetted his apartment choices" what does this mean?

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She means that he was choosing an apartment based on how cat friendly it is.
I second the cat sitter option. I am leaving Jake with my boyfriend for a week and I still have doubts whether I shouldn't hire a sitter instead and I trust my boyfriend 100%, I probably trust him more than I trust anyone else in my life. (It's just because I'm not sure he has the knowledge and observation skills)

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get more clients because a neighbor or family member didn't show up like they were supposed to or failed to medicate animals properly. People get busy. They're not pet owners themselves. They go out of town. I've heard it all and it's happened to me too in the past. A really good pet sitter knows that once you use their service you're never looking back. People like knowing their pets are cared for, not wondering. I even have one client who's boyfriend lives very close to her and he loves her cats. She lets him go for one visit a day to play with them but still hires one of my staffers to come over once a day because as much as her boyfriend loves the cats he wouldn't recognize illness. She gets peace of mind having a professional to do the work for the cats and make sure they're healthy. Her boyfriend just gets to give them extra attention! Peace of mind may be the number one factor we get hired!

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Let's put it this way - among other actions, he vetted his apartment choices against what would be good for Ally and Ollie (well, himself too, but....)
Yep. That's what I'm here in Minneapolis now to do. My criteria for an apartment is:

1) Relatively upscale
2) Allows pets
3) Pet safe
4) Reasonable distance to law school

What that means for me (after seeing what kind of trouble Ally can get in to):

No second stories with stairs, ledges, etc. No second stories period really.
Any openings for a balcony/balconette or window have to be either currently pet-proof or can be made pet-proof
No possibility of the cats getting access to places where they can get hurt (ie: exposed water heater, exposed compressor for a fridge, etc. etc.)
No access by complex employees without me present (I want it in my contract)
No exposed electrical work that the cats could chew through
Etc. etc.

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your such a good papa!!
They are really goreous cats too.